Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys, Des Moines Ia. Heartland Natl's Friday pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot-rod roadster, Jul 2, 2011.

1. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a couple from Saturday to try to get this thread somewhat back on track.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      95.5 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      95.4 KB
      Views:
    • 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      102.6 KB
      Views:
  2. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep.

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

6. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Agreed, lets try to keep the rest of this positive and about the cars. Keep the pic's coming, great shots Nick

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Nick, the ice shot is classic. It's funny, Brandon and I were walking by a set of those at the fairgrounds on Friday when it was miserably hot and joked about climbing in and then acting all offended when someone opened the door.

NOTE: The pic of the handsome guy flipping the bird was not directed at this thread or anyone here. It was me photobombing (yet another) of Brandon's photos.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awwwwww, now you've ruined it for me...!!!

R-

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Killer to meet you too! It's amazing how many cool people there are on here and I always feel fortunate that I get to meet so many in person because of all of my travel.

It was really freaking me out though how much you looked like my friend Ben.

Neat little story tidbit: I met Ben about 15 years ago on the way home from Paso. I was driving my Hudson and saw a '52 Chevy on the side of the road. I stopped to see if I could help. He was just out of gas and I had five gallons. I insisted he use all of it and did not let him pay. I didn't know him and didn't figure I'd see him again, but we would meet sevaral times over the next couple years and became good friends to this day. He has returned the favor many times over the years.

Not only do you and he look scarily alike, you sound similar and have the same enthusiasm. Cool!

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

Sorry, I'm just not that cool and he had actually shot that before my whining on this thread.

11. henryj429

henryj429

No gripes here...

We rolled in at 8:00am on Friday and found a nice spot with all-day shade. There was maybe 10 minutes of waiting getting in. On Saturday, we drove right in and parked in "Homebuilt Heaven". Sunday we were fortunate enough to have a spot in the Circle of Winners. Having been to back to the fifties 26 times and the NSRA Nats, I have no complaints whatsoever about congestion or traffic flow. I got to see tons of awesome high quality cars (of all types) that I certainly never see in Northern MN. That, plus a 1200 mile round trip cruise with the family....priceless! Will I do it again?
    Hell yeah!

I will post a few pics later.

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Are you the owner of the Zephyr woody? If so, holy crap that thing is amazing! You had all of us talking all weekend about it.

Definitely a world class level car that is hard to believe is homebuilt. Kudos on your skills and vision!

13. henryj429

henryj429

Thanks for the compliments, Kirk! The did get car got a lot of attention - something I'm really not used to. The best part is the broken record....."yes I drove it 600 miles to get here."

I was there with my wife and son, so I didn't get to mingle as much as I'd like, so I aplogize for not trying to get together and hang out with other Hambers.

14. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Kirk, Say Hello to Bob from trailer-Ed , sorry I did not meet up with you chatted with Bob a bit and am wishing like hell that I was on the road with you guys right now. Have a good trip, and a good time in Columbus. Rusty.

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thanks! The trip is great and looks to only get better!

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Actually Kirk, after finally getting to meet, with the Goodguys it's a thumbs up.
    You and I being long time HAMB members and me looking like your good buddy that I thought your picture was directed to me that you had a great time in DesMoines and that maybe I was number one in your book.......

You mean I wasn't number one ? :)

Thanks for sharing the story of your buddy btw - so few of us handsome guys left.

Travel safe men and catch you down the road.

Cob

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  17. Turbo Rocket

Turbo Rocket
    from Iowa

Thanks for the pictures Malcolm. Couldn't find my camera this weekend, so I didn't get a chance take any pictures of the truck.

18. hemi

hemi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. KIRK!

KIRK!

That guy in the backseat is handsome!

20. Master of None

Master of None

Hope BobK had scotch guard on those back seats.....the second pic looks like you gambled and lost.

21. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

After reading up on this thread tonight I just put two and two together. And I have come to the conclusion that my inability to remember names is really doing me no good. On Sunday I was wandering the grounds and came upon a slammed 58 Impala that had run out of gas and had been pushed to the side. While asking questions about another car they were standing by that I assumed was theirs the discussion came up that the owner also had a 1957 Desoto Fireflite so we found common ground as I have had a pair of 57 Adventurers and still like them very much and have info on my website about the rare steering wheel clocks and under dash record player options. He asked me to take a picture of him and I will assume his wife? and the another couple then another shot of just the guys with his camera which I was more than glad to do. I noticed his name on the windshield Gary Meadors and thought it sounded familiar but had assumed he must be a member of the National Desoto club and that is why it sounded familiar? He has my card so if he wants the clock he will call.

Also ran into Bob K as I was unloading my little car from the varied industries building, another very friendly guy and a darn nice car. I had a great time and hope to have one of my Mini Divco milk trucks ready for next year.

22. henryj429

henryj429

My pics....no crusty hot rodders making goofy faces...just cars.

The grey pickup at the end was my favorite.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Also forgot to add that the big talk of the weekend was that the Good Guys will NOT be going to the speedway out in Newton and that the World of Wheels Des Moines show is no more.....
    those were the big things people were asking me about at the show....
    Hope the Good Guys stays on the fairgrounds for years to come - the autocross is a great addition to the event -
    Skippy (cover of Hot Rod magazine and in this months issue with Torque Fest as well) was one of the fastest guys out there!

Not bad for a "rat rod"
    ha ha ha
    har ha

ok

just had to get the little dig in there.....after all - if Hot Rod magazine doesnt know how to classify it - why should I try to!?!?

Great event - and thanks to Nick for posting more pix

I would.....but I only took 1
    yes
    1 picture all weekend

dummy I am

24. Kirk, you know I usually back you up but you have lost sight of something. When it is a valid complaint such as Gary's first post you better listen. He worded that nicely asking for input and telling his stance and gameplan for the weekend.

Also, Billetproof, time to rest those Laurels. We all know you started it.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  25. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Here are a couple of my favorites from the show.

The Mercury is about half scale and done from flat steel so impressive metal skills. It runs a 4 cylinder and was driven up from AZ.

And the 48 Chevy UTE I like because I also own a UTE

Attached Files:

26. Ah shit....I missed it again. This time I had promised the missus I'd attend her niece's wedding reception in Lincoln and missed GG DesMoines...again.
    Next year if Cob really BBqs some chops, I'll be there. If Johnson creek adjacent to Cob's house doesn't flood like '93...ok, it flooded the weekend after the event but damn...I hate floods.
    Who knows? Maybe I can actually drive my 34 five window next year!!!
    It's a great event and aside from the usual oppressive heat a good time.

27. Hot Rod Hoodlum

Hot Rod Hoodlum

[​IMG]

I see my friend "Skeeter" has his car out. I bought my Model A Sedan from him, as did Malcom bought his roadster from him. It's good to see he was out and about.

28. hemi

hemi

29. hemi

hemi

30. hemi

hemi