Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Source for 700R4

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by djust, Nov 24, 2009.

1. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Looking for a good source to purchase a 700R4 for my 29 Sedan.
    Was planning on getting it from Monster Transmission but someone on here the other day mentioned they wouldn't buy from them, not sure why.
    Looking for opinions or rodders on here that have had good luck with the one they got along with good customer service if they had trouble with it.
    Thanks

2. chubbie

chubbie

A&A AUTO
    Independence, Mo
    816 461 3234
    talk to Danny, i bought the 200 r-4, great trans GREAT price

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Bowtieoverdrives.com

4. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have heard good things about Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford, TX online, but I have not bought anything from them...

http://www.phoenixtrans.com/

Slonaker

5. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

I have had 3 transmissions from phoenix, all have been good, a freind of mine had a torque converter go bad out of warranty,and they took care of it anyway,, owners name is greg ducato==good people

6. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

4way transmission. tecumseh okla. builds the best r4 in oklahoma. check r and p machine shop in shawnee. rex will tell you the same story.

7. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I agree with Pheonix Trans in Weatherford. Great bunch of guys to deal with and they know their stuff.

8. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Give Jake's Performance a try. He frequents a couple of the forums I visit giving a lot of tech advice, he specializes in overdrive GM automatics and is located in the Dallas/Fort Worth area:

http://www.jakesperformance.com/

9. Weasel

Weasel

Another vote for Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford TX but beware of similar sounding names - there have been rip offs by other companies calling themselves Phoenix ****. Bowler Transmissions are also a reputable supplier.

10. Go get one from a 93 caprice and take it over to beck's at 42nd & n western okc. He rebuilt mine and it's on its second car. He's fourspeedman on here. Keep them $'s local.

11. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Phoenix Transmission builds all of mine. They literally dyno test them in the shop before they crate them up to assure you're not getting a problem. Ask for Greg the owner or Scott Jackson the manager.

You get a nicely built trans, painted well, with all hardware freshly cad plated. Here's the Turbo 400 they built for my last truck.

[​IMG]

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I've heard a lot about Phoenix. I think that's where I would go to buy one turn key.

I have usually sought out the lowest mileage unit I could find, preferrably from an S10 because they are light and rarely make the trans do any work. I order up the latest ATSG service book to get all the updates and source the kit and parts from Trans-Go. That allows me to convert it to a full performance corvette spec unit with custom shift kit and several upgraded parts. The '90 to '92 model is the best to start with. There are a couple of special tools involved, but I made them myself and it was an easy weekend affair.

13. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

WOW
    lots of responses thanks guys, I will start looking into these mentioned.

14. budman

budman

I've got 2 700r4's from Phoenix Trans. One in a '53 Chevy truck with a 400" Pontiac, The other in a '77 Chevy 4x4 350" small block. Install and forget them, Works perfect.

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I had a problem with one 700R4 I got from Pheonix, It wouldn't go into OD. When I called them they told me to adjust the TV cable for maximum pressure. Said not to worry you wont hurt it. If you do we will replace it. Did that and about 20 miles later it started shifting into OD. Adjusted the cable back to where it belonged and never had another problem.

16. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

I have used the tci valve body on junkyard transmission with success. Get the valve body that maintains a higher minimum and has a shift modifier.This helps eliminate the possiblity of damage from a mis-adjusted tv cable. S10 converters work well too.
    I have these in 2 ot vehicles. One has 50k miles on it since install and was purchased as 50 dollar core on c-list(Lucky). I did not rebuild these transmissions, nor have them done.

17. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I also got mine from Phoenix Trans. Been on the road since '03 with no problems.

I was going to have it built locally, but when I mentioned making it work without the computer, I got a bewildered look from the guy - who then turned to his monkey who said, "ummmm..., maybe I've heard you can make that work.", so I figured I better go with someone who builds them like that all the time.

18. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid

I use Monster Transmissions in all my street rods / hot rods.. Also have a Monster race 350TH in my Land Speed Racecar... 1933 Ford Vicky.