Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Good people

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smitty's32, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

This may be off topic but I'll post it anyway. Someone will delete it if it's not proper. Car guys are some really good people. Was on the way to Goodguys in Des Moines on July 4th traveling Rt 34 west. Just went through Mount Pleasant, Iowa and was out in the middle of nowhere. Went down a hill and started up a long grade and when I gave it a little more gas I got the "whaaaaaaa" that you get when you're running out of gas. You know the sound I mean. But I had 3/4 of a tank. Had to keep easing back on the gas to keep it running and losing speed until right at the crest of the hill it died completely. Shoved in the clutch and coasted off the side and as amazing luck would have it there was a frontage road and right on the corner was an autobody shop/used car lot. Nothing else in sight for as far as you could see and I stopped 100 yards from this place. With a T-bucket and a '55 Chevy gasser type in the front row of the lot, I knew this was a real lucky place to be. I barely got the hood up when the shop owner came across the road to see if I needed help. We checked and had plenty of fuel pressure and the filter wasn't plugged. He went and got a 4x4 mule and a strap and pulled me across the road and up to his shop. Not gas, had to be spark. That's when we discovered the in-cap GM HEI coil was hot enough to fry eggs on. Rapidly failing spark mimics running out of gas real well. He went into his shop and came back out with a used HEI coil and tools. With the replacement coil installed the car fired right up. He gave me his card with his cell phone number and told me if I had any more trouble before I got to Des Moines to give him a call and he would come out with a trailer and get me. He spent a half hour getting me going and absolutely refused to take any money for the coil or for his time. The whole ordeal could have been a major pain if he hadn't been right there to make it a minor bump in the road. So, if any of you guys in that area don't already know it, Jim Redmann of Lockridge is good people.

2. McFly

McFly

He sounds like a great guy. Cool story!!

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome. Nothin' wrong with giving the good guys some credit.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's the kind of story that renews my faith in people! Thanks for posting it!

5. 117harv

117harv

6. Not OT to me! It's nice to hear stories like this.

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Great ending to a great story. Thanks.

Cliff Ramsdell

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

That's awesome. I'd be sending that cool cat a bottle of his favorite vino, or something. Cool people like that are hard to find.

9. xhooligan_skeeterx

xhooligan_skeeterx

Great story glad to hear it

10. It's great to read this, it helps restore our faith in humanity. The world would be a better place, if everyone had a "help others" attitude like the "car people" of the world.;)

11. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I tend to believe when things like this happen it's no coincidence.

Either you had angels pushing you to the top of that hill or karma made a house call.

12. Send him a case of something!:cool: Great Story.

13. KIRK

KIRK

Don't see why this should be OT. Nothing better then hearing about good guys like this helping somebody. We need more people like this these days.

14. raidmagic

raidmagic

Awesome story!!! Good to hear there are people out there that are still willing to help.

15. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

good for jim. not to take anything away from what he did but he sounds like an ordinary gearhead and to me that is a compliment .

16. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

That is awesome. My buddy scharleyride and myself feel the same about Gregg Pelicer on the HAMB here. There are still good people out there. Just need to "Pay it Forward" when and where you can!

17. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

I'll definitely be sending something, just haven't decided what to send yet.

18. Smitty's32

Smitty's32

I had similar thoughts at the time. It was strange. I was half expecting Rod Serling to step out of the shadows.

19. Belive it or not there are lot's of great people like that here in the midwest.

20. afaulk

afaulk

A refreshing event in a screwed up world. Things like this remind us that there is still a glimmer of hope.

21. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

There still out there...real car guys...

22. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

>>>With a T-bucket and a '55 Chevy gasser type in the front row of the lot.>>>

How much were the cars?

Just kidding, glad he got you up & going quickly & for n/c, great people.

23. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Mail him a gift card for a nice restaurant to let him know how much you appreciate his help!

24. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

My thoughts exactly----thanks.

25. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

kind of story that reminds us all there are a lotta great people out there!

26. robertsregal

robertsregal

Great story and always nice to hear about good people!!!

27. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

It's great to hear that there are people out there like that. In my time I've run in to the ones that take advantage of a situation to rip you off of all they can. Good guys like that should be rewarded some how.

28. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Now that's a good guy. Thanks for posting.

29. Rod Serling!!! LMAO!

Always like to hear stories like this.

Ben

30. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

That's what Hot Rods are all about bringing good people together to make the world a better place! I'd send him a new pick up coil to have in stock for the next poor fella and maybe a gift card for a decent dinner some where near him!