Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good News & Good News

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 87Heaven, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Yup, what he said.

I kind of miss work sometimes, but not enough to want to go back :D

And I don't miss that 1.1 mile drive to work :eek::D:D:D

2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Congrats! I'm only 25 so I have no retirement advice for you except visit your former work on nice days and chat with the unfortunate souls. It's nice to have a reminder that someday is young guys can get there from here.

3. Congrats on your retirement - I'm in the "retirement zone" but have yet to pull the plug myself. I've already stepped back into a more relaxed setting about 7 years ago, away from the high-pressure IT field where I had been for almost 30 years. I can pretty much come and go as I please at the moment, so I'll stay working for now until the "status quo" changes. For me however, once I retire I think I would like to work about 20 hours a week, no more than 3 days say, where I work at now, just to "keep my hand in" sort-to-speak. Going into the garage every day and working on whatever, I would not want my "garage time" to become a job where I'm a slave to it, just something that I enjoy doing just like I do now in my limited time. It's a balance that everyone needs to find.

I wish you luck and I will drink a toast to you come Friday ....

4. Nice retirement gift! I got some leather goods when I retired, ( a belt in the mouth and a boot in the ass ) :eek: Really though, I retired 2 years ago this June, I still work 1 or 2 days a week just to stay connected with all the people and friends I made in 40 years in the car business. I tell people that ask how I like retirement that I'd recommend it! Enjoy your new life after work, you've earned it my friend. ;)

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Welcome to the ranks of the permanently unemployed. :D I retired about 4 years ago, but went back to work for a couple of years, then retired again. I have to say I miss work, actually enjoyed my job and it gave me purpose every day. So, probably in the next few months I am going to start finding something to do again. I miss walking into work every morning with my coffee and doughnut and getting down to work, and interfacing with people all day.

However, the upside of not working is that you have lots of time and can run around getting stuff done when other people have to be at work.

Don

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  6. coupe man

coupe man

Congrats on your retirement.I've been retired for a year and it's great.A good day working in my garage is better than any great day at work.

7. 61 chevy

61 chevy

go for it, you only live once, i am on my second week of retirement, at 62

8. Fenders

Fenders

So many wait til 65 or 66 -- I grabbed social security at 62 myself after figuring out how many years it would take to make up the difference in payments (17 years !!).

9. Congrats. Enjoy it.

Retired twice. First at 37 from the USAF. Too young and broke to stay retired. Played with airplane stuff for another 25 years and retired for good about 4 years ago. Don't miss work. Did some volunteer work for a while which was OK till it interfered with my car stuff.

10. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Congrratulations! Enjoy your retirement. I've got 7-9 years left and hope I can afford to do it when the time comes. Have fun.

11. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great news--you will find plenty to do--I retired 10 years ago from one job (40yrs) then went to another for 5 more years and now am retired for good. Just do what I want and keep plenty busy--enjoy

12. Congratulations, I retired a year ago June 1st. at 62. I worked 34 yrs. as a heavy Equipment mechanic & welder, then did 12 yrs with the Colorado Department of Corrections (maintenance supervisor ). Enjoy your time in your new shop, you will be busier than when you were working. I do side work ( mech. & welding ) for toy money.

Lee