Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Lord, is it that time already? It's the Monthly Banger Meet again!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Wrong-Un, Jul 1, 2007.

1. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Well it's that time of the month again so I thought it must be my turn to call a meeting to order!

You may remember my report of a breakage last month, well we got the quickchange back together with minimum fuss and I've been out and about with no problems at all.

First outing was a local show with around 300+ cars of all varieties and I picked up a trophy (first and last time probably!) for one of the top eight cars, no order to them just what the host club pick from the cars on show. Gotta say I was pretty pleased no matter how naff the trophy was, it's always nice to have a pat on the back.
    [​IMG]

Last weekend saw me take the coupe down to the Rockabilly Rave in Camber on England's south coast. It was a round trip of around 250 miles and fortunately the weather held up for most of the weekend though the clouds were looming as you can see from the picture below.
    [​IMG]

Whilst we were there there was a 10 mile cruise to Dungeness, a strangely enchanting and at the same time bleak little village that backs onto a nuclear powerplant, it certainly made for an interesting afternoon out!
    [​IMG]

Check out this site for more pictures of the Rave and the cruise: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37919512@N00/sets/72157600503576145/

Non-news is that I still haven't fitted the big Winfield, apathy seems to have beaten me again this month!

2. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Blimey, that was a quick month. Where'd it go? Nice snaps, Neil. Even the one of you collecting your gong. Well done. Jug hunter.

Not much been going in myself. Just got back from the Nostalgia Nationals which was all but rained off. One hour of track time out of two days. Bloody weather. Still....got fairly seriously drunk two nights running and I don't get to do that very often any more.

3. 72sst

72sst

4. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

road shots are cool

5. Thang-u-veri-mush...

Pressed my ol' bus into service as "scabby wedding car" yesterday. Took some wax polish to the black primer and cracked n' faded original paint , tied on some ribbons n' flowers and covered the "golden" seats with white sheets...

[​IMG]

only mods this month? Fitted a Model B breather in place of the original A one. World of difference - cabin isn't full of oil smoke now!

6. This is where I am at with my pick up as of last night. Fitting up a new tail gate, finishing the brake mechanism, got finish handbrake then its body back on for the tray to be final mounted and the steering box mounted.
    Then fit the shocks all round, finish some welding and then strip down for paint!

Attached Files:

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Is that Glenn's good side, Neil? ;)

I'm over for a few days next week - doing USAF stuff the first few days, may wander over Lyneham way to visit some mates there, but be good to catch up with anyone as & where...

Great pics!

PS - Was there a banger post for June? If so, I think I've neglected to add it to the tech page

8. Got the speedster almost done and ready to sell.

I made the firewall and pop rivited it in... and did the interior carpet and door panels myself...

it runs good now... and I just need to get the starter button installed and the throttle and timing leevers hooked up...

Plan on going to the FAST meet next weekend... anyone going?

Sam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. How long does it take to bolt a head on?

With my run of bad luck recently, all of 4 weeks!

Heres some of the "fun" I've had, but this is by no means all of it!

I found a stripped head stud thread. No real problem in itself but a huge problem when someones been there before and made a huge mess of it.
    The way I got out of it was to have this sleeve made that had a thread on the inside and outside.
    Its made from a high tensile bolt so should last for a long time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the head I wanted to use, its a 14.9hp Model 'A'. It is now in the bin/trash due to it being cracked and warped beyond repair.

[​IMG]

....And a side effect from the above...

[​IMG]

I can now say that the roadster is back on the road, yay! So far, so good. The scary part is I think its as quick as the other engine:eek: .

[​IMG]

My dad has been working hard on his coupe and that is also up and driving.
    Its been running for a few weeks now after a another full rebuild of the piece of s**t Mallory and a new carb but still undrivable due to the clutch not disengageing. The pressure plate was but the disc itself wasn't.
    After taking the engine out for the 10th time it turns out that the disc was so tight on the mainshaft that a hammer was needed to get it on and off!
    Another thumbs up there for repro parts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you ever get stuck for a 4 cyl. Mallory dizzy cap a V8 version is a perfect fit, see above.

10. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

clark,
    why not use a stud thats the size of the larger thread...then machine down the rest and rethread the top to fit the head?
    saves the extra pieces maybe?

11. That was one of my options.
    The studs are grade '8' high tensile with rolled threads, so its not possible to replicate that at home.

12. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

gotcha clark!
    glad its on the road again...

i dug my 4 banger car out from under the deck...had them both covered with a tarp for a while...
    the seat has always been terribly uncomfortable in there
    you kind of hunched into the middle...figured out moving the seat pan front about 1.5" let the back lean back a bit...this caused the center to be out more into your lower back...it like a sofa now!

thinking about going away from the lincoln gears in the tranny...its such a dog off the line with the 3.54 rear...
    possibly a 28 or 29tooth ford gear set....or a new rear with 4.11 or 4.44 gears mated to the 22% overdrive and leave the lincoln gears....I'd like to upgrade to a V8 rear with a supported pinion also if i can figure how to adapt the overdrive to that.....
    we'll see i guess....got a new track roadster project taking up my time now so i'll most likely leave well enough alone

sure has been nice roadster weather in central PA though!!

13. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Did you get this head from Nervous? If so it could be my old one and it was fine when I had it, I do remember that it took a few attemps to get it to seal properly though. If you didn't get it from Bob, please ignore my ramblings!

14. I was going to ask if that's the head from Nervous! I've thought about swapping on the one from my old engine - but it's running so well, I'm leaving well alone for now. Especially after watching all your fun Clark! I just don't have those hours in the day...

15. I once repaired a stripped thread with a Heli Coil and found out later, after 2 head gaskets, that the top thread pulled up slightly when the head was torqued and prevented a good seal. Just a thought.

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

17. Is it just me that this stuff happens to?

36 hours back on the road and this happens....

[​IMG]

Rear leaf spring broke tonight so I'm off the road AGAIN.

18. I am just installing a new rear mainleaf. I inquire locally about having one rearched and was quoted $160, bought a new one with reverse eyes for $108 including shipping

19. Yes it came from Bob and is your old head.

I might have been ok for you but its completely unusable now!

20. TV

TV

No, it's not just you those old springs can do it anytime. Have some new ones made and you won't have to worry about it anymore. I learned my lesson.--TV

21. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

whoah, did i actually post in the "banger" thread......you guys need some more valves and a few more pistons in those engines......henry must have been trying to cut costs!:eek:

ah, shucks, there is darn good looking rods in here...

22. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Well I haven't posted on here in a while. I have been helping my freind Clayton with his '26 roadster the last couple of weekends. We've been fitting up Clayton's steering column that we adapted off of a 1924 Willys Knight. We are in need of a Pitman arm does any one have one?
    [​IMG]
    I am just finishing up a set of Friction shock absorbers that I copied from a single 1913 Hupmobile that was just lying around our shop for 40 years. All I need to do is build the mounts on the frame and paint them and they will be finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am in need of information on fitting an A crank in a model T block with insert bearings and full pressure oilingsystem what mods do I need to do and what can I do in my home machine shop. ( I have lathe, horizontal mill and vertical mill as well as a dividing head) I will evetually be fitting an 8 valveohv head to my new block, any info would be awsome.

We also picked up a complete 1928 Chevrolet ohv engine we are going to use in a T touring project in the near future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We're going to try and get it running and then if need be do a rebuild on it later on.

Thanks for the info and good luck on your projects.

Thanks,

Chris Becker

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Cool speedsters! For info on an A crank into T block, try Dan McEachern in Oakland. He does a lot of T & A engine building. Also Stan Vermeil may be able to help. Both guys are F.A.S.T. members.

Clark...sell the cars and take up golf.

24. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Powerwaggon
    I'm surprised the white cable ties are strong enough to hold your shocks in place while driving down the road.

25. G'day Chris, that's a cool speedster you're building.

Good to see someone else willing to play with Chev OHV motors. I have 4x Chev fours, a '25, '26, '27 & '28. I have 1x 1-port, 2x 2-ports & 1x 3-port heads.

Some Chev fours crack on the left hand side underneath the water jacket, so this is something to look out for but thankfully it is not a structural area.
    My cracked '25 block.
    [​IMG]

26. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Can't remember whether I posted this before, but this a great little film on Youtube about Pietenpols....

27. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Jer (Me-Oh'sS&C) & I were out and about yesterday and we took short video's of our cars
    the twisty curves are a driveway to a nature area so we couldnt really open them up and slide around due to other people in the area
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jer's V8..."i hope its ok to put in here"...he's having problems with the coil getting hot so it cuts out a bit under load on his 2nd video

28. This '26 Chev 4 I bought last week for $200. I turned it over by hand & it turned freely, I then tried to turn it over with the starter that was in it but that was stuffed so I replaced that & it cranked over nicely. Tomorrows job is to sort out the timing, according to my NASCO parts manual the 4 cylinder points are the same as the 6 cylinders so I shall plunder the points from my '29 Chev 6 & see. so I may have some video of it firing up for the first time in who knows how long. :D + I really need to build a motor trolley.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]