Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GOOD heater?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Jul 26, 2011.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

ok, this may seem like a dumb question to some, but what makes a Good heater? I have one in my 64 I bought about 15 years ago from Mr. 40's Fatstuff. It has a very small core in it, and a small fan to blow it with. On a typical morning, it seems to make no difference at all. I have it mounted on the passenger side firewall and can't feel any airflow more than 6" away from it. It doesn't produce much volume of hot air at all.

Would a larger core do anything? I can upgrade the fan or larger core, but don't have room in the box for both.

Thanks,

Devin

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

When I rebuilt my vintage heater, I used a modern heater core (you probably have one), but I used a small pancake SPAL fan from a motorcycle - it moved a LOT of air on full. Even on low, you couldn't leave that running in my small pickup cab....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345518

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Pretty slick, Ernie.

4. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

you're in California!! why do you need a heater anyway?

5. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Ernie- Nice job! that core is probably twice to three times the size of the one in my heater!

Mr Chevrolet- I'm in the far North of CA, it does get cold here and clear days in the winter are in the 30's. I like to drive my car year-round!

Devin

6. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Heater? It's 105 freakin' degrees outside. Oh, you mean for later. Never mind.