Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Guys Joliet was a disgrace

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ragtop49, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wow I have been to Good Guys Columbus over 6000, Indy in the past over 4500, Des Moines over 5000, and they were all great but Joliet was an embarrassment maybe 500 cars weather was great Friday ! Little rain on Saturday Sunday was total BS . Don't tell me they charge to much thats just an excuses and I wont get in a debate over cash look at other events thay put on.

The President of Good Guys and who ever ran this show should be fired . On Sunday if you paid $40.00 to Good Guys no matter what year your car was you were able to enter the show and drive on the grounds . What the F###K is that !!! . You need money that bad ? Wow over the top for me just an embarrassment to Hot Rodding ...

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That's EXACTLY why they only had 500 cars. Tons upon Tons of people don't respect the fact that Goodguys sold their soul for money (an attempt to generate more money). So the pre-49 crowd are pretty salty about Goodguys letting the crowd in from 1949-1982. Really isnt's that exclusive or special any more. And the older crowd that own the type of pre-49 cars really know how to ban together and protest correctly if you know what I mean.:eek:

3. like it or not,it's the signs of the times.:rolleyes:

Don't like,don't go..

NSRA lost my revenue after 35 years and the way Goodguys is going their gonna lose my money as well.

Both organizations could learn something from Ryan and have a few pre 64 events.HRP

4. Gator

Gator

I think you're confusing Goodguys with the nsra. To my knowledge Goodguys cutoff has always been 1972 (other than some open shows on the west coast) and this new 'Sunday deal'.

5. rooman

rooman

Are you sure that you are not thinking about the NSRA? Goodguys events have had later model cars for years. Maybe not current crap like some of their West Coast deals but Indy has always been pre 72 or so.

Roo

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Ok, My Bad. I knew the ASRA was protesting someone, must be NSRA. I confused that with Goodguys, since they do accept up to 70's cars. Sorry about that misinformation on my part.:eek:

7. Quit going to Goodguys a few years ago. I totally understand the need to make money, but they've gotten to the point where it's all that matters to them.

8. FatFndr

FatFndr

I dropped both GoodGuys and NSRA........Joined the VSRA (Jim Bledsoe - TN) went to their Medina, OH show and met a lot of like-minded people. Weather was lousy but still had 200+ cars show up ( ya' gotta love the diehards), I'll be going again next year.

9. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yeah, ASRA is protesting. Whatta joke. I paid $6 to walk into their big "Midwest Vintage Weekend" here in July, and saw 50 cars. Half of 'em were local cars that I see on any cruise night.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I went the first year. Had fun but the venue really didn't excite me so I haven't been back.

I am really looking forward to the new speedway venue for the Indy event next month.

11. Save you money, next year go to the Symco Shakedown....Just check out the pics posted here on the H.A.M.B We are three year sponsors of the show and it is growing into one of the premier show in the central US!! Good job Cliffy!!

12. Gator

Gator

That's cool - you were right about the older members being pissed - I know a lot of the older guys around here who've been nsra members for decades have said they'll never go back.

Personally I don't like the idea of them 'opening up' Goodguys, but I know Sunday attendance to the shows is usually WAY down from Friday/Saturday, so it's kind of a double edged sword. I bet a lot of the guys who 'protested' wouldn't have went on Sunday anyway - I never do.

13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I was a Goodguys "member" for quite a while, right up until I asked why, at one of the big meets at Pleasanton, that "members" didn't get a discount on entry fees? (have to pay to park, then to get into the swap meet, plus the sellers pay, huh?) Nobody wanted to answer, which made me more curious, so I kept after it until I got to someone with a little horsepower. Seems Goodguys is an "organization", not a club, and privately owned by one person, and strictly for profit- and plenty of it. About all you got out of your "membership" was the magazine (and some trinkets and decals, which of course are advertisement for Goodguys that you can put on your car) which is full of paid ads. No member, no mo'
    Ain't greed grand? :rolleyes:

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

What exactly is greedy about running a business? That's just enterprise, not greed...

I'll never get the Goodguys bashing deal. If you don't dig it, don't go... You gotta know going in that it's not a traditional event.

15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

"What exactly is greedy about running a business? That's just enterprise, not greed...

I'll never get the Goodguys bashing deal. If you don't dig it, don't go... You gotta know going in that it's not a traditional event."

Exactly! Thanks Ryan for inserting some common sense.

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

ragtop, sundays are usually alot slower than Friday and Sat.. especially if the weather is so so. when you say any year, what do you mean exactly. 80's and 90's models or late 70's..

17. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

I personally don't mind.

WTF is the big deal if its open to cars as new as 1982?? So maybe some ugly shit shows up?? Big deal. There are plenty of ugly street rods as well as ugly rat rods (is that redundant?)

I just walk past those... sometimes I might even point and laugh.

I'm a car guy. I can appreciate cool shit no matter what year it is...

18. sololobo

sololobo

Bashing ain't dashing, please stop dogging events. If you don't like it don't go back. Every group has a bummer day. Sorry you had one here. Give em a brake, fines double in shaky show zones!! ~sololobo~

19. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I look forward to goodguys in Charlotte every year, sure there are a lot of o/t cars but me and the wife have a great time every year. The membership fee is worth it to me.

If there were only 500 cars then maybe there is a problem somewhere else. Do any other shows in that area draw big crowds?

20. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

I am not defending Goodguys, but NSRA is also a for profit business. Walker from Walker radiators owns it, and they make a profit too. The sunday open to any car thing may be good for the sport over time. Let some people in that normally couldnt get their newer car on the grounds. MAYBE, they get hooked, see a for sale sign or two and buy a real hot rod from one of us.Time will tell. I still think its a great time for someone to do a good old 1948 and older event, not hung up on the rules for the traditional events, just 1948 and older anything. Just my thoughts.

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

Went to one event,wasn"t what I expected so haven"t been back. No need to put them down,there is a lot of people into the newer stuff,just not me.

22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

try the Back to the 50's show, it's huge

23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

who has the "Not this shit again" sign?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

greg, you have a good point about the later guys jumping onboard.. I know I was into late models before getting a little older and deciding it was time to play with older tin..

and agree a show in the Columbus/Lville region of the country (where it can attract alot of people from different areas) catering to the pre '48 or even '54 crowd would probably take off (just need a few years to make it grow and get the vendors on board).

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

So here's a question for all of you that think a business is "GREED"...??? Does Ryan (the administrator ) own this business...??? Let me answer that.

Yes he does...and he asks $50.00 for an Alliance Membership...its a business.

What do you get for your $50.00...??? Not much -- a HAMB tag to put on your firewall, a couple of decals and some discounts...

Does Ryan put on any shows you can take your trad rod/kustom to...??? Yep, only two that I know of...does he still charge YOU, as a participant, to get in...??? Yep...!!! Now isn't that strange......??? Here's a guy that espouses trad cars...YET, he CHARGES you a fee to enter his events...wow...!!! Greed, huh...???

So, IF Ryan is running a business...and he charges, no, let me change that...ASKS $50.00 for a membership, IS THAT GREED...???

Ryan runs a business here...it's that simple...true, you can participate here free if you want...but it still COSTS Ryan for the servers, the web guys, and whatever he has to pay for, which he's done for years without charging...but the simple fact is, THIS is still his business...so, IF GREED is making money as a business, NOT ONE of you had better go into business for yourself cuz YOU ARE a greedy ass just like GoodGuy's, NSRA and any of the rest of the organizations that took a chance way back when...!!!

Go back to your little hole in the ground and quit bitchin'...!!!

R-

26. millersgarage

millersgarage

only 500 cars?

hmm

looks like the odds of winning a door prize increased.....:rolleyes:

27. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Agreed, been there, but its six hours from here. In the 70s went to NSRA Nats there, the best fairground ever. Remember the driving events they had, wonder what happened to that idea?

28. Granger Perry

Granger Perry
    from Albany, WI

Start your own show if your so bitchy about it.

29. monsterflake

monsterflake

boycott shows that have post-48 cars. stay home all year. die lonely and bitter. the end

30. FityFive

FityFive

I drove 3 1/2 hours from Charleston to Joilet for the show on Saturday (left at 4am). I was very dissappointed with the turnout and had several discussions with other attendees scratching their heads as to why Chicagoland Goodguys has such low attendance. With Chicago being the 3rd largest city in the US, it seems as if they could attract more than 1,200 cars. A few people suggested that they could attend free cruise nights in the area (Morris, Lemont, etc..) and see the same cars rather than paying $45. Other people suggested that with NSRA at Louisville the week before, many had their fill. Either way, I think it would be helpful to Kirk and the other folks at Goodguys if we could come up with a few suggestion to help keep the show as it doesn't make "business sense" to lose money every year in Chicago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.