Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Guys Chicagoland (Pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38pickup, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 38pickup

38pickup

Well, I want to start off by thanking Kirk, and good guys for the Suede & Chrome. This one award made my weekend, maybe my month.

For those who don’t like "life stories" scroll down...

I started off Saturday morning with the brisk temperature of 54 degrees. Driving a hotrod with no side glass on a cold morning wakes you up fast! About part way down we notice that the first pipe on the drivers side is shooting out raw fuel. Not good. We lower the fuel regulator and she smoothes out, Yay. About 10 min later it does it again. Arghh. After waiting in line for 45 min we register and go to the Suede & Chrome area. I love the sound of straight pipes in tunnels. After we walked around and Denise spots me and says hello and promptly asks about the truck. I walked around some more looking at the cars, and I point to the Suede & Chrome area.

I looked around the other areas, and headed back to the Suede & Chrome area, to hang out and see if anyone new has pulled in. I sit down and answer peoples questions about the truck and... The next thing I know Kirk is coming up asking me my age, and asking if it would be ok if they put me in the winner circle. By this point I was in pure shock. I had no idea what to say, I said sure. (If I could have talked, I would have loved to talk a little more.) By this point I took off my sunglass and was almost in tears. After that I was on a high. I went to the meet and greet and met some great people and saw some old friends.

After the meet and greet we decided to head on home, so we got in the truck and started to go home. We got to the entrance and the truck quite. I guess the 45 min in line took more fuel from those 6 94s then we thought. A nice guy that goes to Bonneville every year helped us out. I told him about the HAMB, and told him he should sign up.

Well for the trip home the truck ran bad, I guess the truck don't like speedway gas. But I did get to meet a guy that lives down the street so I guess this all happened for a reason.

After we got home we drained the oil checked the plugs and tore apart one the one 94s to find that a float had a pin hole in it. After we ran it for a little bit we went to bed. The next morning we got on the road about the same time it way only about 50 degrees. a little cold. After we got down the chicagoland, we parked next to the street machine of the year, and looked around. It was kind of odd being surrounded by almost perfect cars in, shiny paint. After about 20 minutes people started walking around, it was interesting how people would ignore the shiny paint cars and look at the 6x2 sbc powered pickup.

When the awards came around we got in the cars and when the pickup and the mustang next to me fired up everyone turned. I guess it sounded mean. As we mad our way around it was hot so my dad opened the passenger door, I guess it way about an inch and a 1/2 off the ground. :eek: I pulled around and got the award, After I got the award, I think it finally sunk in. I am sorry to be so long winded. Thanks again everyone….

For all you guys that wanted to see pictures here are a few of mine....

[​IMG]
    Cold Morning...

[​IMG]
    My Truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you liked the pictures ....

2. bonesy

bonesy

That orange drop top Ford is too cool.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

GREAT story to go along with some GREAT photos. Thanks so much for sharing. The pick would have made my month too......probably my whole year! CONGRATS bud! I know you've worked really hard on the build and the pick is well deserved for sure.

4. Ebert

Ebert

congrats on the recognition of your fine PU!!! I met you at the Gears & Ears this year and was marvelling about your truck. Congrats and enjoy!!!

Ebert

5. hotrod34

hotrod34

Great Job Tony the Busted Nuts now have a gold chainer award winner! Wish i coulda been there but we were working on the 52. Dropped it off at the alignment shop today. :)

6. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

good story. cool truck.

7. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Congrats, Tony. I really enjoyed the story.Thanks for the pics, too........Woody

8. Nice truck. Congrats on the award. As you found out, the best part of goodguys is the new friends you meet! Keep on truckin................:cool:

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

10. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Congrats on the award, I was fortunate enough to win the Suede and Chrome award here in Indy. I know how you felt, it is a cool award in my opinion. Great pictures and great story. Enjoy!

11. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

CONGRATULATIONS! It was good to meet you and BS for a while. See you at the PileUp. -Jeff

12. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

13. 38pickup

38pickup

Thanks guys for all the complements, I agree it is a cool award. See everyone at the PileUp.

14. Thanks for the story (I appreciate them) and the wonderful pics Tony.:) "Cold Morning" is spectacular! It should be framed and hanging on a wall in a prominent spot. It was great to meet you at the Meet & Greet. Congratulations on the award - you earned it! Look forward to seeing you at the PileUp.

Larry

15. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Great read Tony. I didn't realize you were having issues. It sure looked good when I caught up to you on 55! Congrats man, you deserve it.

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

truck looks great! You deserve all of the accolades it gets!

I would have loved to see the looks on the faces of the people who bought those perfect cars as you truck was getting all of the attention.

Classic!

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

congrats. and thanks for sharing your pictures

18. CrazyD

CrazyD

Very Cool!

Can't wait to see it at the Pileup

19. 38pickup

38pickup

Thanks mike, It was deffinatly a interesting experience.

Saturday was when we had problems. Sunday we had that thing tuned up and running like a scared cat. I wish I could have taken a picture of the two running down the road, that would have been a classic shot. I love hotrods.

20. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

Congrats on the award Tony. Enjoyed talking to you at the meet and greet. Think about putting a heater in your truck and streching the Hot Rodding season. I wimped out and put a heater in my roadster when I built it and have taken it out for drives below freezing when the streets are clean of snow & salt. The more I think about it, the upper Mid-West sucks.

21. 38pickup

38pickup

I have heat... just no side glass, I am running a late 30's plymouth heater (its very art deco). It has a two speed fan motor, and once up to temperature does a decent job. I even have defrost. You don't see it when you first look in the truck because the trans hump is close to the dash, and the heater is sunk up into the dash. There is also three old sw gauges blocking the view.

22. Congratulations on the award, Tony! You've got a great ride there.

I watched you pull in at the Woodfire Cruise earlier this summer. I can't tell you how many people made postive comments about your ride and gave ya "Thumbs Up' as you cruised past.

Gorgeous pics you took, that was a picture perfect day!

Joel

23. 38pickup

38pickup

Yeah it was, the sky ways cloudless and the sun was nice and bright. I 'm glad everyone liked the pictures. I wish I would have known you were there, you should have come up and said hi. I'm glad so many people like the truck, it makes me feel good. I think if it affects one person the same way other peoples cars have done for me then it was all worth it.