Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good Detroit Trans shop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vintagesurvivor, Jul 14, 2006.

1. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Looking for a good , reputable transmission shop in Northeast Detroit area to tweak/look over the trans (54 Hydra-matic) in the Survivor.
    Any help will be appreciated..

Mark

2. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

3. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I don't know of any local shops offhand specializing in older transmissions like that, but I have the original factory service manuals for your transmission. I'd be glad to stop by and look it over with ya, make copies of anything you need, or help in any other way if you'd like to get into it yourself???

4. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Hey, thanks for that offer man!

Does the book say anything about adjusting methods for the shift mech?

Mark

5. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Yes, it covers everything...from routine service and adjustments, to complete teardown and overhaul. These are the factory GM training/service manuals from the 50s and 60s.

I can make a copy of the stuff you need, or swing by and let ya flip through the book in person.

6. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

Yeah, we need to flip through that thing. If I had an understanding of the inner parts, I can figure out whats going on....

I'll PM ya and get your info...

Mark

7. vintagesurvivor

vintagesurvivor
    from detroit

OK, if you have any trouble with vintage transmissions, go to Pointe Transmission, on Harper between 11 and Martin on the west side of the street.
    John has been there over 40 years. It's the kind of shop you trust, carbs , transcases, and parts hanging all over, manuals spread out, old cars all over (Old Lincoln convertible, 57' T-Bird, Ancient Jag).
    He took the Survivor for a ride, and right away he said the pressure was off on the trans. He adjusted the throttle pressure linkage, and now it drives GREAT.
    The stickiness I am feeling is the detent going bad inside the trans, but nothing that driving will hurt.
    He'll fix it in the winter for me. Nice guy.

The fix today and the increase in my transmission knowledge cost me $40.00. :D

Mark

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

A little out of your area but Mike at Dewys Transmission in Garden City will most likely be able to help you,... the shop looks a little grungy, but they do great work and Mike is a Hot Rodder from way back and still builds cars.