Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Good combo for a low cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Hey guys.
    Im Planning a future builI.
    Im actually gathering parts for it.
    Its a lowcab gmc.
    I have a 270 gmc,im thinking split exhaust and 2 carb intake nothing major and a 4 speed.
    Gmc/chevy grill.
    What would be a good suspension?
    I have a 3100 frame,
    A front frame out of a 34-36 chevy truck,6 lug,mechanical brakes.
    I have a 35 chevy standard i beam.
    I have a 48/52 f1 i beam.
    I have a 8.8 from a mustang(4 lug)
    A dana 35.
    Im thinking fenderless and maybe a hood.
    I like this 2: 2129434-35ce5ab3f353de775d87acbea6707b45.jpg 10693716_569040536535958_105284406_n.jpg
    Hopefully with your help,i can save what i can use and already have and keep my eyes open for stuff that i need.
    Thanks in advance.

cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First what wheels do you want to run. That may in it's self dictate what front axle you use so it's easier to match the wheels to the drum or match a drum to the spindle.
    On this one I'd pass on that particular Ford stuff as it takes the simple and easy out of the picture.
    What year is the 3100 frame? a 47/54 Chevy 3100 frame could probably be descabbed enough to clean it up to where what amount of frame showed would be presentable. when you bobbed the frame you cold bring the rails behind the cab in so they ran parallel with each other rather easily;
    I'm thinking that the spacing for the springs on the 35 and a 47/54 is the same but may be wrong.
    A rear axle out of a 55/59 Chevy 1/2 ton would give you six lug hubs to match the later hydraulic front brake hubs you could adapt to the spindles.

Another option might be to use the early front piece and build the rest of the frame out of tubing or cut the 3100 frame to fit and fab it up from under the firewall back. You could put a step in the frame at the firewall and a kick behind the cab and drop the cab real simple that way as long as you don't go rat rod ugly with the step in the frame. Run it up to the firewall right and most guys will think you channeled the cab over the frame.

3. I like the idea of using the 36 front suspension,hydraulic brakes from a later truck and a 55 truck rear end.
    And a step at the firewall.
    Parallel springs in rear and same at the front.
    Or some guys use a 34 ford crossmember and single spring pack..but i guess a differnt kind of axle.

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

Check the website off the guy who does the dropped straight axles, he has all the spring pad measurements for those Chevy axles so you'll know what is an easy swap. Maybe try for a mid fifties Chevy truck axle w/ the Bendix self adjusting juice brakes, paired with a late fifties open drive truck rear end. That'll give you the six lug wheel bolt pattern with brakes that won't blow out your budget. Sounds like a fun build. Later, Kinky6.

5. I agree with using the early truck frame piece, and axle too, if you can make it work. Or if you have the AD front axle, you are set. Parallel leaves all around. Lots of six lug wheel options....wires, artillerys, solids.
    Big GMC six is cool too...

iwanaflattie likes this.
  6. i think the 36 axle uses a smaller king pin than the later axle so swopping to the later brakes is trickier. what year is that frame?

7. That complete frame is a 50 3100,
    I was reading through some threads where some guys drilled the axle for the later brakes.
    I can only wish to get this look
    chevy-1936-hotrod-04.jpg

nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  8. Kinky6

Kinky6

Sid's Nostalgic Dropped Axles is the site I was referring to earlier. Look on the left under Chevy Axles, he has all of the year by year info on these for you. K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. You'll like to never get that stance with a parallel spring up front.

panhead_pete and nunattax like this.
  10. I know..hes running a 40 ford axle and single transverse spring step frame,channeled cab..etc
    That's why I can only wish.
    I want to build this with what I have but if it dont work then ill start looking into ford suspension stuff since theres a lot more combinations for them.
    Thank you kinky6..ima do some reading

11. I am a bicho raro or so I have been told. I would use parallel leafs and swap the axle to the top of the springs then up grade to juice brakes. Channel the width of the frame and ditch the step.

Everything else is just done to taste so I will leave my suggestions at that.

iwanaflattie likes this.
  12. I like this aproach...im thinking building the rest of the frame from tubing,flattening the crossmember,drop The axle or find 41-55 1/2 axle with brakes etc,or modify axle to accept later kingpins.
    I love flatheads and 6 inlines...they are both as expensive to run tho.

Ive seen that set up on a 28 buick the guy that gave me this cab has.
    But i dont got the balls to run them.

i
    I like this aproach Also ...if i drop the axle will gain a lot of stance too..

So i will still sell that 3100 frame and wont scrap that 35 half a frame...thanks guys and cactus for the pm

Toms Dogs likes this.
  13. 20161226_165653.jpg
    I have this wheels 6 lug.
    2: 16"x4.5
    2:15x6...is that a weird combination? A guy offered me 160 for themand hubcaps and now im not sure if i should wait for a set of 16"x4 or just keep these ones.
    20161226_170507.jpg 20161226_165222.jpg i also have a 1950 rear end wwith a torched torque tube/trans input...im sure its toast.
    20161226_165309.jpg

Toms Dogs likes this.
  14. Thanks man...but im not shopping right now,when i started this thread i was just gathering what i have laying around so i can sell/scrap/abandon the left(ill be moving soon so i want to take obly what i need in terms of parts.
    But I guess all the chevy guys use ford suspension stuff then the fors guys bitch about other guys using chevies on their ford?

Confused..
    Thank you for taking the time tho.

15. Search for @Plowboy 's "space truck." He used the parallel leaf suspension and that truck is pretty low and very bitchin.

16. Thank you..
    That's what i was after...couldn't find much info...
    Plowboy rules...his rudy truck is also perfect.

17. When you move the axle to the top of the springs you drop the thickness of the axle plus the thickness of the spring pack. I have seen a lot of them dropped a gracious plenty by just moving the axle without dropping the axle. It is worth moving the axle temporarily prior to dropping the axle to see if you gain what you are after. One thing to remember is that you may have to C notch the frame when going this route.

nunattax likes this.
  18. I get the using what you have part. Sometimes you use what you got to get what you need.

Flipping the axle on top works but Eventually the axle and frame collide and quickly.
    Eventually you'll need to address the front frame and spring hangers way out front, way in front of the axle. A frame rail set up like a 36/7 Plymouth gets you down but there's still the front overbite.
    image.jpeg

Run a spring behind ford setup with a stock axle and it solves both problems. That's precisely the reason why it's so popular for a down low stance. It looks right, works right and it's easier to achieve the goals.

19. There will be many arguments against it, but I say use the chevy axle(dropped) and parallel leaves. It can be done. Dare to be different.

nunattax likes this.
  20. Kinky6

Kinky6

Ditto on both points. If ya gotta go low, the dropped axle potentially should eliminate the frame clearance problems that setting the axle above the springs could cause. It may cost a bit up front, but its a neater solution. I do like the idea of setting the axle on top of the springs to see what "low" might look like. You could also get a look at what the interference issues might be going that route.

The other thing is, dare to be different! The Ford transverse spring has been used under just about anything. It looks best under a Ford, of course, and Fords outnumber every other hot rod marque, especially for early rods, so everybody and their cousin are running that front end. Why not, it works well on a lot of rods. I say go with the parallel leaf springs up front, and let 'em know you're proud to be running a Chevy, instead of making it look like " I wanted to find a Ford, but I had to settle for this off-brand make, so at least I can put a Ford front end under it".

Just kickin' over the hornets nest, K6

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

RMR&C likes this.
  21. Yes, you have to watch the scrub line. If the axle is dropped enough, it can stay under the springs. Stock axles mounted above the springs net about the same drop.
    And different is always good.....to me anyway.

nunattax likes this.
  22. Found this picture..I think Ive seen this on the hamb.
    8576e712e2896a899c850d7d54ea9e9b.jpg

RMR&C and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. Got 2 doors for it..
    Are grilles really 600+?
    jeez
    Might have to use a webber grill,plus is traditional right?

2017-01-05 15.44.34.jpg
    2017-01-05 15.53.21.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    King ford likes this.
  24. 38 cab? 40 doors?

25. They should be 36/38?
    Dammit..i hope not
    Seller said 38.
    How can u tell?

26. How do you get away from the natural consequence of this stance?
    front spring mounts extended way out front or the axle CL behind #1 plug.
    To me this looks way off - that's how it has to be but it looks like a fuck-up.

image.jpeg

I'd like to see a dead on side view of this one.
    image.jpeg

27. If you look at the second truck the front spring perch is on the front of the frame horn, a lot like the early poncho, as I recall the '30s GM products used a pretty short spring too. Theoretically the shorter the spring the closer to the perch the axle will be.