Register now to get rid of these ads!

good chicago area tire shops?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglysteve, Apr 23, 2013.

1. i just ordered bias ply firestones for my car. never had bias plys before. the guy i talked to at coker told me they need to be balanced a certain way for a better ride. i also read through the "firestones are they safe?" thread thats been on the front few pages lately and heard the same thing.

anyone in illinois have a suggestion on how to find a good tire shop that will do my tires right? or know of a good shop you can refer me to? i'm in the northwest suburbs of chicago but i'll drive to the city if i need to or whatever. i just would rather have someone that has done it and knows whats up help me out mounting and balancing my tires ya know?

thanks for any help! :D

2. models916

models916

The key to balancing the old tires and wheels is to have the shop balance with the lugs centered as opposed to the center hole centered. Many don't have the adapter but others do. Modern mags can balance on the center hole but the old wheels are centered by the lugs. I use Discount tire in Lombard, IL on Roosevelt Rd. The rule I use is if the lugs are tapered, I balance on the lugs, even mags.

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

Call up a hot rod shop, like Voodoo Larry's (very near you) and ask what shop they use

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would find a shop that uses a Hunter Road Force balancer.