Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Good 12V inline fuel pump?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tudordeluxe, Mar 26, 2016.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Had an AIRTEX but didn't last very long and just replaced it with a HOLLEY MIGHTY MITE that was rated at 7psi but can't get more than 4psi out of it; EDELBROCK says I need 5.5psi for their carb.
    Any recommendations on a small inline pump that fits in between the frame rail?

2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. i used a carter marine pump. it was the only one they listed rated for fuels with alcohol in them. i mounted it on rubber isolators. DSCF4183.JPG

Attached Files:

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We've switched over to the same Carter pump tb shows above. Used to run Holley pumps but they are noisy as Hell, and don't like a speck of dirt. The Carter is so quiet I have to listen closely before firing up the car to make sure it is running. It has also been very dependable.

Don

cad-lasalle likes this.

5. robtlor

robtlor
    from Lincoln NE

I have run a facect (sp) pump for years in my car, these are supposed to be oneof the best made pumps you can buy. Surplus center has them for @$50. They have 4 different preasures to chchoose from. Bob

Denns1989 likes this.
  6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

You don't say anything about the engine or your driving (a real requirement..!), But I've got an Edelbrock carburetor being fed with a Carter P60504, inline pump.
    It's an inline, quiet, easy to install. The pressure is a little light for a real hot rod, but it works fine for my daily driver.

Something that most people DON"T realize... Just because a pump will put out "X" psi, doesn't mean the volume is there. Those little Airtex and similar pumps...with the little 1/8" NPT fittings are WAY to small for having enough "volume" of fuel to work with much more than a lawn mower engine..!
    7 psi and a .100" feed diameter is MUCH different than 7 psi and a .312" (or larger) passage diameter..!

While this pump only puts out 5 psi in my car, as I said, it works just fine. Has for about 2-1/2 years now. Even comes with a filter. Got mine from Summit.

Mike

cad-lasalle and falcongeorge like this.
  7. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

8. The red Holley is noisier than my ex-wife, never again!

9. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Thanks guys, will look further into your suggestions. The engine is 276 flathead.

10. We used these on Experimental Aircraft, never had a problem with them. Aircraft Spruce sells them.

11. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've been using this style Facet /Purolater pump for several years--http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/facetpumps.php?recfer=4141

They have different pressure ratings and flow capacities, I'm running a 4.5 pressure rated on the Rochester 2jet carb on my 350, just put a 2.5 pressure rated one on the dinky 2 cylinder Yanmar diesel in my aux power unit on my semi truck. I had one a few years back on a hot 302 Ford, it never starved for fuel no matter how hard I ran it.
    A big plus is they are quiet.

13. jazz1

jazz1

I have a Carter and it is just as loud today as when I installed it 7 years ago.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Hi Don, just ordered a new Carter pump based on your recommendation, thanks for the input!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  15. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

After several failed inline pumps [carter,airtex, ? all the same] I installed the Carter P4070, no more issues.

1927graham likes this.
  16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I think you will like it. They are not super high pressure pumps, which is great on a mild street motor, but they just are so much quieter than the Holleys. I had a Holley on my Jeep pickup that I swapped a 5.0 into, and it sounded like an air compressor running. Some are noisier than others, but all of them are not quiet at all.

Let us know how you like it.

Don

1927graham likes this.
  17. Looking forward to getting rid of this:
    IMG_1440.JPG

henryj1951 likes this.
  18. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

wish i had that holley pump and you had a better pump..!

19. My red Holley is for sale if you want it, perfect condition.

20. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ah fooey just picked up a Mr Gasket 105P Electric Fuel Pump NIB30bucks
    but just in case what's the number +the ride?...:cool:

HOW MUCH

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
  21. Retail is $118.00, I'll sell my Holley for $65. and I pay shipping.

22. Spent a day and a half mounting the Carter pump, the Holley had 3/8"npt fittings, the Carter uses 1/4"npt fittings, plus it's mounted upside down, got finished this evening, turned it on and WOW. it's so quiet, incredibly quiet, took the Model A out for a 5 mile test run, no leaks, everything is good, the Holley indicated 5 lbs. pressure, the Carter shows 4 lbs., couldn't be happier with the Carter. Thanks Don for the recommendation, you were spot on, sure appreciate you input!!!

23. LostBoy

LostBoy

That sucks. I am just about to install an airtex pump that the corvair guys swear by. I hope I don't regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Andy

Andy

Have a spare in the car. I have had two fail on the road.

LostBoy likes this.
  25. rfraze

rfraze

Just a note on the 5.5# pressure for the Edelbrock. Be very careful when they get over 5#. If it ever seems hard to start, pull the air cleaner off and watch what happens after you shut it off. We had a waterfall situation in the rear barrels that was caused by too much pressure, and this was with the "matching Edelbrock pump". No amount of time checking and adjusting float levels made any difference on these brand new carbs. Fuel pressure regulator and no more than 4.5# of pressure to both carbs solved the problem. Be careful with Edelbrocks and much pressure at all.

26. LostBoy

LostBoy

That's shitty. Were they from amazon by any chance? I heard there are fakes out there and you have to be sure you're getting an airtex. I ordered an airtex e8012s for a friends 350 with a Holley 600 (it works great) and when it came it was a "spectra". Idk if they are the same company, but there is something screwy going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i have a holley red pump in my nova. it was a race car with the pump mounted in the floor pan. sounds like a speedfreak woodpecker drumming on the chimney cap!

28. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I am using a Beldan pump from NAPA on two cars. About $45.00. No problems.
    BUT, I've been told by a very good friend that they may fail (still sound like they're pumping, but don't), because of a tiny bit of dirt on the incoming side. Even tho there is a filter there that comes with the pump.
    I use one on my 32 with 2 4bbl carbs, pressure is right @ 5#.
    I'd also like to get something that is solidly reliable, like maybe that aircraft pump, rather than buy a second pump for backup on the road.

29. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Oh, BTW, what about some recommendations re fuel filters?

30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

What I didn't see, does the fuel drain into the pump or does it have to suck fuel up out of the tank? I originally had mine set to suck out of tank (previous owners work) I burned up pumps right and left, had it down to a 10 minute roadside switch.
    Changed the tank so it drains into the pump and that issue is gone.

And Im running the Walbro on mine, very happy with it Have it mounted in a 90s ford truck fuel pump isolator, no noise at all.