Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Gonna take the 'fourspeedwagon" to the track!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fourspeedwagon, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Sorry it's not a bunch of big information or trick traditional tips in my post- I'm just excited cause there's a Wednesday race at the local track and I'm ready to run the mighty Draggin Wagon.
    My first car was a 64 Malibu 283 powerpack and 4 speed. My mom (rip) convinced me that my test drive was the time to learn to drive a stick (I was 15 w/a permit). She loaned me half the money to buy it and I lurched my way home.
    Fast forward a couple decades and I find myself as a 35 year old married man being told I have twins on the way. My wife says "you're a dad- a family man now. You need to drive a car with four doors." The next week I brought home this 1964 Malibu wagon, 283 powerpack and 4 speed. It wasn't what she was thinking but I wasn't going easily. A one owner car that was bought new in Beverly Hills and outfitted for towing. It sat for quite a while before I bought it and the back was filled with nuts and junk that a squirrel (or probably squirrels) that came in through the floor shift hole, after the original owners son remove the engine and trans to put in his 64 impala.
    I started building a small block for it and then a big block fell in my lap. So it became a 454/4speed wagon. With the stock suspension and so forth it drove horribly so I sold the big block and put in a nice rumpity rump 327. That's where it is now. 327 with forged pistons, aftermarket 2.02 heads, performer RPM intake (with all the markings ground off and painted), a crane fireball cam, 1 7/8 headers and the requisite T-10 four speed. I really want to run a 12.99999 or better but I'll be cool if I beat the 14.7 I ran in my 283 powered hardtop.

I've been watching the old Grumpy Jenkins YouTube vids and considering getting a cigar to chomp for the big night. Hopefully I'll be able to get some video and get it on here. This week I've been tidying up the little things that the track requires- radiator overflow, battery hold down, less than 12" of rubber fuel line, seat belts, and I've switched over the full set of "good" tires off the hardtop (yep, I still have my first car).

And awaaaaay we go!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Have fun. When I raced my 27 at the Billetproof drags a couple of years ago, it was the first time I had been down a track in 30 years, but I got hooked and want to race again.

Sounds like your combo will run very well.

Don

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  3. Lets see some pictures too.

volvobrynk and fourspeedwagon like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Great story. You got the wheel hop under control? Those A bodies can really bounce.

5. Only thing I have for wheel hop is some too tall rear gears! Pretty sure they're 3.31s-- won't be needing 4th for sure. I'll be sure to post pics and hopefully a video.

6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Enjoy the time at the track. My first time down, was years ago in a buddy's 1965 two door sedan. Still got a soft spot for those early A bodies. And please post some pics!

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Just remember if there are no picture (video) it didn't happen! LOL
    Sounds like a neat ride, have fun, be safe!
    KK

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Well, it's a couple hours away but may not make it. I'm having problems.
    It'll start instantly but won't rev up and dies after about 10 seconds. Then it'll start right back up, and repeat

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Restriction in the fuel line? Or accelerator pump or intermediate circuit in the carb.
    I was going to say if I didn't have to get up at 03:00 for work I'd go out and take photos and video of the event but I can't drag my butt home at late 30 and make it to work in good shape at my age.

10. Thanks mr48. I pulled the fuel line off and put it in a gallon can. It pumped about 3 cups of gas in about 10-12 seconds of cranking.
    Carb is a Holley 600 vacuum- I'm not certain where to look for crud other than the banjo fitting

11. F&J

F&J

Fixing cars over the internet.... :)

just some ideas..

I suppose a way to see if it is a lack of gas.... Get someone to sit in the car to start it. You are near the carb with a can of carb cleaner with the spray tube. As soon as you open the throttle and it won't rev up, spray in the carb. If it revs way up, then it's not ignition

So, it's a Holley. That should have the two fat side screws that you can check float level in the bowl? As soon as it dies, see if the level is still up.

Nothing you've said makes me think that it's flooding out like a stuck open needle, because it would not restart quickly

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, restriction in the fuel line, or at the tank pickup/sock filter. Might try to blow through the line from the front just to see. The fuel line on the 51 Bus Coupe was almost completely plugged, and would act similarly. You were headed to Renegade Raceway, home of the tumbleweed burls? Those things are hell on slicks! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. I guess I'm not sure how much fuel it should be pumping but I thought it looked like a sufficient amount. Maybe something floating in the tank stopping it up intermittently? I pulled the front of the carb off and tapped it out gently. Didn't seem to have and crud, but I bolted it back on and the car started and ran good for half a minute, revved up or idling- then died and wouldn't restart at all. I'll have to run through it all when I'm a bit less rushed. Maybe I can get it done and squared away by Vintiques weekend.

We call those burrs "goatheads". They're hell on anything, but I can imagine a slick rolled in them would look like a giant sprinkle donut.
    When I moved to my current house it had sat empty for 2 years. There were drifts of goatheads around the back of the shop (think snow drift). I scooped up a 5 gallon bucket and delivered them back to my ex-neighbors as a "thank you" for 7 years of being perfect assholes.

volvobrynk likes this.
  14. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1434600048.131451.jpg
    Ornery looking seeds huh? Aka puncture vine thistle. Usually you step on them and the tip busts off in your heal so you can enjoy it for a week or so.

15. GOATHEADS HOLY SHIT! you would have thought i was 10' tall because of the way i leaped in the air first time my foot founds one! My grandma thought i had been bitten by a rattlesnake!:eek:

16. 55 dude- my Dad was born in Issaquah and lived there for his first 40 years or so. Then we moved to the desert. I still remember he thought the blacktop was going to be hot so he plotted a path where he would step mostly on the scattered "lilly pads". He took a running jump off the porch in his bare feet and leapt onto a goathead vine, screamed like a 6 year old girl and jumped on to the next cluster of goatheads. Then let out a string of profanity that may still be floating over the Valley.
    I was about 5 and can picture it like it was yesterday.

17. I wish you luck on the journey pass...... Just an fyi- a 750 would be fine for a daily.. But- many will say not, as going with the math and not tried and true,,,, + always convectional I guess.......
    As for the goatheads= If my Pop was here, he probably give ya a grin about how many times he patched my bike tires! Long live those pesky SOB'S!

18. Thanks Invisible- I went through a lot of tubes on my old bikes.. Do they have goatheads in Garlic country?

19. Like there's no tomorrow..... but, I'm a lil older now,and don't go venturing off like I used to.......:eek:.
    But at work,when the guys come in, it's unexplainable..... Say 100? =crazy!
    As for trackday- just be relaxed. Ya- you'll be on edge.....
    But, if you keep this in mind for some fun= Just hammer the tree the best you can, drive your drive,and it'll work out. You'll only get better with seat time........Anyone will agree.....
    But!!!!!! DONT put YOUR seat on goatheads~!