Register now to get rid of these ads!

gonna lower the 53 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike1951, Jun 29, 2010.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

So, let's play guess the drop...the taller spring is the 79 el camino spring 4 inch drop....according to the Buick guys....they will go in the front....

The other spring is the one off my buddy's race truck....68 chevy c-10.....how far down will it go? dunno...find out soon...obviously shorter spring will go in the rear..

You guys think it will work? I mean it cannot hurt to try it...I wanted a rear rake for this thing....but this might be crazy

Attached Files:

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

If you have the stock springs you can go to the Carquest or O'Reilly store near you and look at the MOOG new coil spring catalog.
    In the back the springs are grouped by style with listings there for spring rate, unloaded height, wire size. A guy can find something for most anything to lower or raise.

3. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I've been told the camino springs compress the closer coils and then ride on the spaced ones...so it should not be too much of a difference....but hey, they truck ones were free...might as well try em

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just remember, the ride your car had is probably well lower than stock due to age and the newer springs are likely going to raise the car rather than lower it. When I put new rear springs in my 75 El Camino it raised up almost 8 inches but it sure did ride a lot better. AND until I put in the front springs ir had the old style nose down look.