Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gone Shopping

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, May 7, 2021.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Gone Shopping

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  2. Cool
    My Father and Mother found this 1949 Offenhauser catalog, with an Edmunds supplement
    in a vintage book store and gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago.

Dad said it was at the bottom of a pile of odd ball Car and Driver knock off type magazines, he said he said "OH, WOW!!" so loud everyone in the store turned around and looked.

The people who owned the store thought it was odd that someone would want it and not the magazines that were on top of it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Here’s one I picked up, have another one from the 30’s I’ll have to dig out. IMG_1566.JPG IMG_1567.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

winduptoy, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  4. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

very cool. Any more word on the disappearance of Rodder's Journal? Assuming its unofficial\official they are done.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I wish I could order from this one.....

4E40C40B-50CF-40D5-B923-5CE910987FBA.jpeg

6. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Used to get a Kick looking at all the Gizmo's to up your miles per gallon in them Whitney Catalogs! Oh ya,And how about them Curb Feeler Springy things. Gotta get me some of them!

Stogy likes this.
  7. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

From 1961...fiberglass T-Buckets for $129 !!

almquist.JPG almquist 1.JPG

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  8. Mnb1966chevy

Mnb1966chevy

9. 1940Willys

1940Willys

I used to get a Kick Looking at all them Gizmo's to up yer Mileage in them Whitney Catalog's. Oh ya, how about some of them Springy Curb Feeler Thingies! Gotta get me some of them!

Stogy likes this.
  10. saltracer219

saltracer219

WHAT! you were in Camas? I have lived in Camas all of my 70 years! If you come back this way, reach out and I will guide you on a Hot Rod and Antique shop tour you won't forget.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...Hey!!! Have I been spelling Louvers wrong for all these years!!...:eek:...nope apparently it's an alternative...Whew...

Do you know how many times I've asked about how the heck they get chrome Louvers on a painted hood tops and sides...nobody answered me...for some reason I hear the Great Gazoo whispering Dumdum in my ears after seeing that...:D

Oh well learn a new thing everyday...:oops:

:p

Love those vintage catalogs right up Hamb Alley...good score Joey...know what your buying...

12. Squablow

Squablow

Since we're showing off...

20210507_130054_HDR.jpg

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  13. This was a tease- Playing cards or sweet dice to attract the ladies??
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  14. jim snow

jim snow

Cool story Joey. Thanks. Snowman

winduptoy and Stogy like this.
  15. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Found my 1946 Cadillac 61 series in a backyard in Camas. $300.00 cash and carry.

Stogy likes this.
  16. I've got a J.C. Whitney catalog as well. Love that thing

Stogy likes this.
  17. I found my 47 caddy series 62 on Union ave, Portland, Or. $250 and oh yeah...Camas smells bad! 47caddyandscotty.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Before we were able to drive to our local and 10 mile away favorite speed shops in Long Beach, our involvement was to order some stuff from that catalog, the good old J.C.Whitney version. Usually, it was some funky stuff that the local speed shops/chrome accessory shops did not carry.

It was like a coffee table book as my brother and I looked at every item on every page. It never got old. But, at the time, there was not much we could do, except for sitting and reading for hours. No cars, except for plastic model car kits, magazines and our liking for something that moved on wheels.

That was short lived, since the shiny accessory places just did not have necessary items for all hot rod or drag race teenagers. Then my brother’s older friends started coming over with their hot rods and cruising sedans. Now, the variety had somewhere to see how well they would look on those 50s cars. My brother actually had to go to a specialty hot rod shop or go to the source.

Jnaki

Because we lived in So Cal and it was a short drive to our favorite speed shop nearby, there wasn’t the need for going too far from home to get what was needed. But sometimes, it pays to know where to go directly to the source. Our friend in Los Angeles had contacts from his early days in L.A. and going to the source paid handsomely for my brother and me.
    upload_2021-5-18_4-1-11.png 1955 upload_2021-5-18_4-1-29.png 1957

19. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I use the chrome, pin on louvers from boat shops... i flip one upside down and use it as a defroster vent... also 2 rows of 3 high on the steel panel that fills the speaker grill hole on '40 dashes...

winduptoy likes this.