Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gona be in LA 1/30 - 2/3. What should I see?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carmak, Dec 29, 2005.

1. carmak

carmak

I'm in LA from 1/30 through 2/3 for a trade show. Other than The Petersen I need to know what to see or where to go.

Cruise nights, neat shops, neat places?

Thanks.

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

2. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

When I went out to Mission Viejo this summer for a wedding I went to the NHRA museum in Pomona, I was very impressed. I also checked out So-Cal speedshop, also very neat.

3. carmak

carmak

Thanks!

Keep em commin!

Carmak

4. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

I would go to the Nethercutt Collection in Sylmar. They have a great collection of pre WWII cars. They win alot of awards at Pebble Beach. IMO their collection is better then the Petersen. They also have other items in their collection besides automobiles. A buddy of mine is their restoration technition for their orchestral collection.

5. carmak

carmak

I didn't realize the Nethercutt Collection was so close to LA! Do you know what costs?

Carmak
    Iowa

6. Bobs Big Boy Restaraunt in Toluca Lake/Burbank on Friday nite's always good

7. carmak

carmak

Cruise nights are great cause I'm gonna have more free time at night!

Carmak

8. Nethercutt? is free, but you gotta dress nice and make a reservation. Useless

9. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Try to get into Jay Leno's place. I know it's not open to the public, but someone here my know someone. Through my connections I've got a standing invitation to Jay's place, but haven't been to the LA area to go see it. I won't be in the area during your trip or I would meet you there.

10. Snappydwp1

Snappydwp1

Here's a link to the Nethercutt Collection. The original museum requires reservations but the new building across the street that has cars only does not require reservations, and is free also.
    http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/index2.html

11. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

The Nethercutt Collection has two different buildings. The one building has about 120 or so cars and is free with no reservation. The second building has alot more non-automotive items and is free but requires a reservation. The main phone number for The Nethercutt Collection is (818)364-6464 just ask for reservations.

12. Yeah, Leno's got some crazy/neat/weird shit. My radiator guy got me in a year ago. I can walk there from my house. I see Leno at least once a week. Picked a race with me one night with his 572 powered 55(?) Buick when i was in my 60 Pontiac wagon. He kept waiting for me to catch up, and punch it like 3 different times. I stopped in my flake 60 Olds one day when he was at the curb in one of his steam cars to see if he needed tools or something. When he looked up at the green flake with the sun at his back he looked startled! Then he pauses, and says WHOA, i can't believe you snuck up on me in "THAT"

13. carmak

carmak

I AM A HUGE LENO FAN!!!

He like what he likes and doesn't seem to care if it's popular or not!

If anyone knows someone that could get me connected that would be as good as it gets!!!

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa
    "We got punked by Willam Shatner, we suck"

14. 392_hemi

392_hemi

NHRA museum is definitely worthwhile. Peterson museum is ok too. Not much to see at SoCal, unless someone there takes you into the shop, which I wouldn't count on. Moon always has some cool stuff to look at. If you need parts, there are a lot of places to check out. Same goes for any manufacturers. About 80% of the industry is within an hour or two of LA.

15. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

Donut Derelicts in Huntington Beach is pretty cool, it's on Saturday mornings, be there by 6:00 a.m., about 50 miles south of L.A., Mattel has an outlet store, just south of LAX, sometime you can score some deals on Hot Wheels, In-N-Out Burger (not exactly car related, but they always have a cool car t-shirt for sale and in my opinion the best fast food burger around). La Luz De Jesus and Copro Nason are two lowbrow art galleries that sell works by Roth, Von Franco, Weesner and generally have some cool stuff. Also, not car related, but the Autry Museum of Western Heritage rocks and is free on Thursday evenings. PAW headquaters is in the valley and has some cool race cars and tricked Hemi's on display in their show room. If you need directions or addresses for any of these things send me a PM. LA is a great place to visit.

17. carmak

carmak

Anything cool to see or do in the evenings?

18. carmak

carmak

West Coast Bump:D

19. sparky96

sparky96

Hi if your on the west side, santa monica - west LA, on pico just west of the 405 freeway is fantasy islad the best bang for the buck strip club in the area also across the street is the local carguy hangout bar, san fransisco saloon
    and over the hill is bobs big boy cruiz friday get there early! 4:00
    welcom!