Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Golden Triangle drag strip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrod1940, May 1, 2011.

1. Back in the late fifties and early sixties, I was a flagger at the Golden Triangle drag strip. The club was run by the Blockbusters car club. This was Don Garlits home strip and all the biggies used to come down in the winter to Florida, and the sunshine, to race.
    Unfortunately I didn't take many pictures and I hope that some of you may have some pictures of this drag strip.
    It was located in Oldsmar, FL between Clearwater, Tampa and St. Petersburg and literally out in the swamp. This is where Garlits got the name "Swamp Rat".
    If you have picture or movies, I will gladly have them digitized for you or pay to have them done.
    Thanks

2. Had a contact from an old friend and Blockbusters member. Hope to find some photos if any of you have some, please let me know.

3. Did you try call Don Garlits?
    352-245-8661

4. thunderplex

thunderplex

Bttt

Sent from my SCH-I605 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. thunderplex

thunderplex

6. jermaero

jermaero
    from Florida

Glad to have stumbled onto this thread.I live about 20 minutes north of the old Drag strip. You mentioned the BlockBusters C.C. . I'm in the process of started the Strokers C.C. back up here in Tampa. Would you have any contacts that I could talk to, or photos regarding those clubs? I have already spoke to Don Garlits about the club. Looking forward to bring back a little piece of Tampa history!

7. Beavertail

Beavertail

I'm trying to find out what year that Twin City Dragway (aka Golden Triangle Drag Strip) closed. I have found newspaper articles about it through 1975, but think it might have gone a year or two past that. I'm trying to find this out to have the correct closing date on my Drag Strip List website, which has entries for over 1,000 U.S. drag strips. I just uploaded a newspaper photo on the website of Art Malone setting the 1/8th-mile world record while driving for Garlits in 1959 at Golden Triangle.

8. ancientdad

ancientdad

I know this is an old thread but I found it recently because of the Golden Triangle/Twin City Dragway post. I submitted some of my history with the track to the Drag Strip List website mentioned above, and I've recently gotten some old Super 8 film converted that my father took while I was running at Twin City during 1973-74. Very few bikes ran there back then and bikes ran against cars in bracket racing, first in their Top Dog/Little Dog series every Friday and Saturday nights and later in their points series throughout the summer. I won the points series during the year 1974 because I was there practically every Friday and Saturday with my Honda 450. (second picture taken at Lakeland)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    video shows the earliest version of my 450 around April 1973