Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Golden Starfire, Sells at B-J Auction.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roddin-shack, Jan 19, 2017.

1. slowmotion

slowmotion

Congrats. It appears you got a helluva deal. Is it as good as it showed going across the block? Any surprises?

Moriarity and hrm2k like this.
  2. metalman

metalman

It's real. I've been selling at auction for a few years now, I have yet to sell one of mine with a reserve. Yeah, have had a heart breaker once, had a couple not quite come to what I wanted but still came out ok but then I've had a few exceed my expectations by enough to keep me going back. Some people leave their money on a craps table, guess it's my way of gambling. So far overall I've been ahead. I've have seen guys throwing up out back (really) or at least hitting the free bar afterwards though.
    FWIW even with no reserve you still don't have to give your car away if it's too low. You always have the right to buy your car back (you can bid on your own car), it will cost you the commissions though.

3. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Holy Shit MAN, Have another look at more than one photo, it is a long way from original. Have you ever had a paint job of that quality? I doubt it.

4. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Welcome to the HAMB, I can still see the smile on your face. You got an awesome deal on a AWESOME CAR. Larry

Junkologist and Moriarity like this.
  5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hate to be a nattering nabob of negativity, big Lebowski, but this car at BJ this weekend may prove you wrong...it may be OT but it's so far off it doesn't really matter. What is on topic is that there is a buyer for everything, even this metal motor masturbation.
    upload_2017-1-19_10-50-32.png

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Timothy Leary is not dead!

Dog_Patch and Bandit Billy like this.
  7. If I had a lot of money, (which I don't) I'd buy a car a BJ and then make some changes. Pro-built cars were going for 20-30k all night. You know if they paid to have them built, they probably had close to 100k or more in them.
    But my jaw dropped when that Olds only brought 24k.

8. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

LOL. I saw that eyesore last night. That POS '71 Torino doesn't even come with a title. I was surprised that the BJ people would waste a couple of minutes of TV time on that pile. If I was going to buy a Torino I would get one like this.... :D

i004920.jpg

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    INVISIBLEKID, Leakie and Dog_Patch like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Both Olds's were great buys as well as others. I like the guys talking most of the time and they know a lot about certain vin numbers but sometimes they are so full of s--t it's all I can do to keep my cool.

10. I agree that some of the BJ prices seem down compared to what they are getting at the Mecum auction in Florida. Only watched a little streaming last night so things may change. Watching for a 1965 El Camino I saw there Monday to come across. Looked pretty nice.

11. If you watch the online streaming you don't have to deal with the commentary and nasueating moving camera work. Just the auctioneer and the car. No commercials either. ( I don't know if velocity has commercials, I imagine they do.)

lurker mick and das858 like this.
  12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Steve Magnante knows his stuff. He studies the docket and actually does research on the cars and is probably 97% accurate. He said he was inspired by lame announcers who were just wingin' it and looked stupid. He is one of the reasons by I watch B-J.

slowmotion and i.rant like this.
  13. metalman

metalman

I was hanging out with Mike Joy before the auction one day, really nice guy and he does know a lot about a lot of different cars. Myself, I'd hate to have their job, you have to fill air time trying to sound knowledgeable about every car there is. No matter how much you knew about cars that would be tough, I think you would have to kick into BS mode for sure sometimes!

14. metalman

metalman

He was probably inspired by the Mecum commentators. The're the ones that drive me nuts.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, I didn't know that was the same car as this one
    I get it now, what a waste of 5k. I love that auction, it is a blast. I have buddies down there now partying. One of them just bid $25k on a 71 bronco while he trying to get the waitresses attention. Teach him to drink before noon.

Dan Hay likes this.
  16. The people that go to Barrett-Jackson are a way different crowd than most of us Hambers. They are more of what you would call the Corvette crowd if you know what I mean. I'm 100 miles away and didn't bother going the last few years. If I went I'd be tempted by some of those deals but I have too many cars and a lack of space already. The 12% buyers premium doesn't get me too excited knowing the seller gets clipped for it too. I'd drive the 350 miles to see the GNRS every year.

deucemac likes this.
  17. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can say I have sold cars there but never bought anything there. And yes, I own a corvette. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad one o_O:rolleyes:

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If it's that four door "Vette", it's a bad thing!

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Gollum built that Vette " in the darkest depths of moredor" Douglas

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

sure you could not have it built for that, but $24 G's for a 61 Olds seems like a good price to me.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hell, I'll watch it after I get home tonight and probably most of tomorrow since the snow is butt deep in the yard.

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I resemble that remark!:eek:

Speedwrench likes this.
  24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Amen to the Mecum comment. One Mecum commentator a few years back referred to the engine-turned factory trim on a '62 Impala as "prism tape like the kind that came with a Firebird model car I built as a kid."

Interesting to me that we have threads on here complaining about high prices at B-J, Mecum, et al, saying it causes cars to be unaffordable for most of us "true hobbyists" and then when prices are lower, we complain about that, too.

25. Junkologist

Junkologist

Thank you!

1927graham likes this.
  26. Junkologist

Junkologist

Looks great still very nice!

Raiman1959, Squablow and Moriarity like this.
  27. Squablow

Squablow

That's great Junkologist, glad to know the car made it into the hands of one of our own, who can appreciate it, and at a very good price. I'm a bit jealous. Please post some pictures and maybe start a thread on it when you get it home, we'd all love to hear more about it.

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I have a friend, that has money but also a good sized collection, he goes to see what is going on in the value world. He now says he has to sit on his hands as vehicles are going for cheap compared to five years ago.
    To me, there seems to be a shift from 'Hot Rods' back to the classic vehicles, Duisenbergs and such for the 'investors'.
    Remember when they sold off the collection from Winnemucca Nevada collection, not pennies on the dollar but maybe dimes and quarters on the dollar.

29. jimmy959

jimmy959

30. jimmy959

jimmy959

Yeah, he's one of the reasons I watch also. That's why I was floored when he was talking about Barry White's Chevy II gasser on the block and said that Chevrolet didn't put V8s in Chevy IIs until '65........it was '64. He probably looked at the tape later and realized his mistake....LOL

slowmotion likes this.