Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gold or Garbage at the bottom of the old scrap pile ??? pics added

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

cleaned /sorted up the scrap pile on our 100 year old farm... FIL had been piling scrap on a supposedly ( model T frame ) for as long as my 50 + year old wife can remember...

as we worked our way down, we actually found very little car parts, most was old farm junk... I could see one of the deteriourated wood spoke wheels before we even started to pull from the pile...

1st frame we uncovered ( the one with the wood wheels ) was in very good condition... frame is actually nicer shape than the one on the 46 Stude I'm working on... I don't think it's an early Ford though, as the rear end looks "different" not the typical hot rod banjo, ( at least I don't think ) looks to have had a torque tube ( they used a piece of wood to block off the opening with the drive shaft removed ) it has a pair of traditional leaf springs in both front & rear... frame horns that look early Ford to me... mechanical band brakes ( at least in the rear ) any idea what this frame could be from ??? I'm assuming all the fords with wood wheels had buggy springs ??? ( sorry I'm not up on my classic Fords...

2nd frame had the transverse mounted buggy spring, I think is a model T frame, but it's only 1/2 uncovered...

3rd, I found a set of dual buggy springs ( the whole assembly ) would this have been a farm inplement or actual buggy spring, or is that what was used on the early Ford bigger trucks...

sorry, no pics yet, but by next Saturday, I should have the 2nd frame pulled out, & the 1st one pulled out where I can get at it...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  2. Not getting a clear picture but Dodge bros used wood spokes as well as any number of other manufacurers. Maybe when you have a chance snap a picture of it?

3. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Hard to tell without pictures. Lots of wagons were made out of old car frames. We had one when I was a kid. All the farms did.
    Tom

4. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks... BEANER...

maybe an old Ford guy can offer me some insight did any of the early Ford trucks that would have had wood spoke wheels use leaf springs that mounted paralel to the frame, or were they all transverse mounted "traditional" buggy springs ???

to me ( & I'll admit to not knowing jack about early frames ) it looks like a car frame... & the family history has been mostly Dodge Crysler, Plymouth... so finding Ford frames in the pile is unexpected, though they were the starting point for the scrap pile, so they've been there a long time

5. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

I'll see if I can get the MRS to take a couple pics today ( I'm at work, till dark )

pics added... of the frame in question

in the 3rd pic, you can see what I think is a model T frame in the back ground

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

BTW... found a pair of 1958 license plates, ( they are stamped ) but don't have any paint left, but otherwise are in good shape... are they useable for someone with a 1958 car, or are they scrap because they lack paint ???

7. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

these are the double buggy springs...

the wire spoke wheel in this pic worth saving ??? doesn't have a bolt hole center in it, but the rim & spokes all look solid

Attached Files:

8. Could be around a 30 dodge. The 20s dodges have a 3/4 elip setup but I believe that by the early '30s that had gone to a standard semi eliptical spring.

Oh and the plates can be repainted. I would not trash them but you will have to sell cheap if they need to be restored.

9. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks man... from what I can see of the other frame, it looks pretty "tweaked" the frame with the wood hubs, looks pretty straight, & with no rust through... the axle looks straight ( with no drop ) the rear brakes are the "band type" that go around the outside of the hub, at least in the rear... now I need to figure out what to do with it...certainly wouldn't scrap it, but I already have too many projects & not enough money, so I'd guess it should go to a swap meet or ???

any idea what it might be worth ???

10. Haul it down here to me and I will use it for the base of my B/gas roadster. :D

11. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

brother lives in KS, & I go down there a couple times a year... carefull what you wish for... delivered, that things gotta be worth the big bucks ;)

12. from the looks of the wheels, frame horns and band brakes--- Im thinking Dodge Brothers

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks close to but slightly newer than the Dodge frame I had when I did my second roadster attempt in Texas in about 1970/71. If it's straight it would be a great base for a modified or early two seat race car style roadster for someone.

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Band brakes, wood wheels and torque tube drive suggests Buick to me, although other cars were like this Buick was the most common.

The double spring looks like something off a buckboard or democrat. Too heavy for a buggy. Of course photos can be deceptive but buggies had pretty light springs.

15. scotts52

scotts52

I like the old STOP sign. Pretty cool. Wouldn't mind hanging that up in the shop.

16. You can almost always sell matched pairs of old plates even if they're rough. Usually the key on restoring them is to not tell the state you restored them.

Old frame like that with axles probably much more than $300 and you're going to bring it home.