Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GOING TO TRY IT AGAIN ~ SEATS ~ Ryan approved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 23, 2017.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

2. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

Small 50s-60s English cars are a good source of fold forward bucket seats, Morris minor, ford anglia etc.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

The ProCar seats that you can buy from Speedway have served me very well.

You may dislike the looks of the plastic and the handle, but the key is to put the them in the car on the opposite side that you would normally think. In other words, the handle to recline the seat is towards the center of the car.

AHotRod and brett4christ like this.
  4. Danny, these may be just the ticket! You can even buy them uncovered, so you can use some of that groovy fruit print!! :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevrolet Spectrum. Ron deathracer6.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Well since the MG Midget was introduced in 1961, their factory buckets are probably OK to discuss here. And at only 19 inches wide, they fit nicely into a Model A with a little 3 or so inch gap between them. I modified mine to tilt forward to gain ingress and egress to the back seat. The later ones have a headrest that is easily removed.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Early '60s Volvo buckets. Narrow enough to fit perfectly in Terry Bickford's '34 Vicky. Low enough to look 'cooool'...:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. I have a set of Triumph seats that fit well in As and 32s

9. Wonder how a Mustang bench would fit/look/feel...... although a little rare....

10. bought a pair of these, 60's era vw tracks and dune buggy buckets. goofy looking but not really comfortable but they make up for it by not being in that great a shape. perfect for my 31 buick i am building. DSCF5013.JPG

11. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I had mentioned in your other thread about mid 60's Rambler, I see a picture of them by 1oldtimer on this thread. They even recline almost flat! I have a pair if your interested but they would need to be redone. I will pm you.

13. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

I am looking at some foreign minivan 2nd row three across seats in leather where the middle jump seat can be taken out and replaced with a console for long trips. This is going in our 1953 Dodge.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. This is what I did for my A beater.
    Simple, quick, cheap, available, nobody ever guessed what they were.
    Rear seat from Volvo, 740, armrest cut out.
    Fits right in a Model A seat frame.
    Welded the seat bottom springs together after cutting out
    the center portion.
    $100
    You be the judge. P9220012-001.JPG P9220014-001.JPG PA240007.JPG

Hotrodmyk and MyOldBuick like this.
  15. MyOldBuick

MyOldBuick

Nice, our truck has Volvo seat also, but it needs to be a bit wider on our cab.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. lowrd

lowrd

I saw one of my club members use a set of PT Cruiser rear seats. FYI. The fronts reminded me of the old Dodge D100 seats used in the old super stockers. Just an idea.

17. I'll second the Jag seats. The ones shown above are sedan seats, for a even more 'sports car look', look for any year XJS seat. Similar construction, very comfortable, low profile, and feature a very thin back (about 3" thick). All will have headrests, but they're removable. The backs swing straight forward. The later versions have a large bolster that can be removed by using the earlier foam (or cutting down what you have). Jaguar XJS seat.jpg

These are in a '79, and are 21" wide at the hinge point (including the adjusting handle for the seat back). Same basic seat frame was used across all years. One thing to check before buying is the rubber 'membrane' used as the lower spring; make sure it's good (they're pretty durable). Recover kits (style varying by year) can be had as low as $300 (vinyl), $750 for OEM leather. Take some Torx bits with you to remove.... and don't pay extra for 'good' upholstery; the thread they used goes bad if it gets exposed to humidity/neglect and splitting at the seams is common.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  18. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

I just had my seats recovered and I think they look great. The old guys at Cars & Coffee dont make fun of me anymore!

The front bench is out of a Previa van. They fit and were super cheap ($20). Totally reworked them, but awesome because they move back and forth. They were re-stuffed with lots of padding.

The rumble seat is original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fendon's Furniture in Bishop CA did the upholstery. They did a great job... I highly recommend them.

cptn60, 32Stoker and catdad49 like this.
  19. IMG_0027.PNG No matter which seats you decide on, do yourself, your interior and your passengers a favor and use a Wise Guys Tilt Pedestal at least on the passengers side. Bart did and it is VERY handy.

20. verde742

verde742

I HAVE A COUPLE SEATS FOR SALE, FIT A MODEL WELL, ( I SET A CLEAN 4X6 ON IT FOR A WHILE) :rolleyes: back to stock, now:) crease gone.. IMG_0063.jpg IMG_0064.jpg IMG_0066.jpg

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. spooler41

spooler41

What happened to page 3, all I
    get is a 404 error massage!

22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The photo of my '29 CCPU with Jeep CJ-7 seats seems to be missing

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If this is too far astray, delete my post not HRP's thread as it is good reference work for many. This is a seat at Summit, brand new, 24 pounds, reclines, $250 bucks and free delivery. I know it is not as romantic as digging soiled seats out of a wrecking yard that you don't want to use a black light around but I thought it a worthy add. Lose that plastic cover of the bottom over the reclining mechanism and do up a little sheet metal in it's place and it is a nice seat. Hell, if you don't mind black seats, they are already upholstered. Saw these in a car at the Portland Roadster Show, looked really nice.
    upload_2017-4-25_17-5-45.png
    Dimensions even. Hope it helps HRP.
    upload_2017-4-25_17-7-24.png

AHotRod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

These are the seats I build and sell on eBay, I use 5052... forms well for the rolled edging.
    Here's the links to my eBay listings so you can get a better look.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/172858822262?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/172802792804?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Best wishes...
    Paul.

Attached Files:

25. Those seats got a real '60s vibe going on. I thnk that they are probably as comfortable as my JC Whittney specials, but if you are building a '60s style performance oriented car that are it.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

Danny, remember the days (nineties) when everyone just had to have Fiero seats? May not be technically traditional but who would know the difference? Besides almost all HAMB cars contain some parts that are non traditional. Seats to me don't enter the equation.

Gary

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  27. Deadbird

Deadbird

I plan to use a pair of late 50's VW seats in my 29 Tudor. I got 'em free and they fit nice. New foam and upholstery is cheap and easy.

28. verde742

verde742

here its 9/11/2017,
    Do you have the seats you want?
    I have another pair for $250.00 plus the ride from 85296..

they fit in a Model A very well.

please advise.. Bob