Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to look at 48 Chevy Fleetline tomorrow.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sprbxr, Nov 27, 2005.

1. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

I am going to look at a 48 Chevy Fleetline tomorrow. It is a two owner car (one owner since '71). That is not that crucial to me. It is a regularly driven car that is original except for the pleated interior. Again, that really isn't that important to me. The seller says that it doesn't have any rust nor has it ever had rust. That is important to me b/c rusty cars are pretty easy to find around here. Are there any special things I should look out for on one of these cars. Are certain parts hard to find? What kind of money should something like this fetch? I know it is impossible to value a car w/out seeing it. Is there a price range? Apparently this is not a project car as with most things I have purchased in the past. Thanks.

Justin

2. Spook

Spook

Number 6 759.99
    #5 2279.99
    #4 3799.99
    #3 8549.99
    These are not exact prices or it would look like I had copied them out of Old Cars Price Guide.

3. When you go to look at it. Get down and take a good look at the underside of the rockers. They like to trap durt in there and rust out badly. You can't see it unless you are right down there. Also take a look at the frame from Firewall Forward. I have been told that they are know to crack between the firewall and the crossmember. And I have seen one like that to. My parts car had 4 cracks in that area.
    As for finding parts. I haven't found any trouble finding what I needed.

4. Aeroman

Aeroman

If you are into GM Accessories, be prepared to pay big bucks. I got my '47 Chevy Fleetline, all stock, running, dual pipes, 216 cui, 3 speed, etc etc for $4,800. Like one poster said here, look under the body and also under the tail lights for rust/cancer.

Here she is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Aeroman

Aeroman

turn it into something like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

The guy is asking $8k for it. I am not sure how i feel about that. Part of me thinks I am nuts for even thinking about it for close to that price. The other part says paying more than I usually pay for cars might save me alot of work in the long run. I know one thing, I am not going to pay his asking price.

Justin

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Justin,

Three places these things like to go is on the body pod mounts to the frame, and the bottom of the cowl inside the fenders, also check the mounting flange inside the trunk for the rear fenders. For 8G's if this thing ain't any better than this car get in touch with me. This is a 1946 Chevy Coupe, SBC, TH-350, FATMAN dropped spindles, disc brakes, nova rear, CE brake assm.,clear open title,.. needs light work to finish. good paint (needs a little touch up in tiny spots) very presentable matching Tuck & Roll int.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

Well I went to check out the car today. Interesting piece. The owners brother bought it new locally in 48. The car was OK but it did have rust in the bottom of the doors, on the inside of the rockers and in the floor of the trunk. The trank latch was rusted off of the floor of the car. It had a 235/6 in it but he had the original engine. All of the chrome/Stainless was intact and in good shape. It had a working spotlight and visor. While I was crawling around finding issues he dropped the price to $7k. The guy is old and can't drive it any more due to arthritis. His wife died earlier this year and he sees himself going soon and wants to sell the car so his son won't get it and trash it. Some one stole the original wheels so it now has chromies like the above pictured car. It had a really crappy cranberry paint job. They didn't remove the trim to paint the car.
    Justin

9. GRSMNKYCUSTOMS

GRSMNKYCUSTOMS
    from TUCSON

i can get you a fleetline in arizona for 8 or less, probably in better condition (since we dont see much rust)

i bought my 47 fleetline for 2500. it was missing front/ rear bumpers

but i got 2 flawless grills, i will be able to trade a grill for flawless bumpers.
    fleets are addictive, i got just about every accessory they had for mine.

oh yeah mine was mII'd already when i bought it too!

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Sounds awful pricey to me at 8G's...for a stone-stocker! I think you'd be better off looking around...you can find a 350/350 powered, M-II'd set-up for that if you just look...and that's half the battle!

Just my 13 cents worth!

R-

11. rebstew187

rebstew187

If you like the car make the guy an offer he may take it if not look for another.sounds a little high to me ,can still find them in ok shape alot cheaper than that one.Just watch for the rust!I got screwed on mine.I knew it had rust in it because there was signs of it in the floor.coke signs,mountain dew signs,street signs.little did I know only part that GM put on it, that was left was the driveshaft tunnel.that was it!firewall to under the rear seat and body to the tunnel was gone.only good thing about buying it was I got to buy some garage toys to play with. new metal brake and a bead roller.

12. sprbxr

sprbxr
    from Peaks, VA

After seeing the 48 up close I think it has swayed me in the direction of a 49-50. There was something abou the long front fenders I didn't like. So if anyone knows of sweet 49-50 Fastback type car FS let me know. The make is not that important to me. I don't really want to spend $8k. One reason I looked at the 48 was b/c it was loacl and that kind of stuff doesn't show up around here often.

Justin