Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to French the Headlights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidvillajr, Dec 29, 2012.

1. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Ok. I bought some "frenching" rings from a HAMBER - Thanks FunnyCar65 - and am playing around in the garage some.

I'm a little undecided about which way I want to go.

The first pic is the stock rings on the 51.

[​IMG]

The second and third pics are the frenching ring in place, but the headlight bucket mounted in the factory position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fourth and fifth pic are the frenching ring in place, but the headlight bucket mounted from INSIDE the fender well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I THINK I know which I'm gonna' do, but what do you all think?

Thanks,

dv

PS - Please ignore the clutter in the background, Christmas threw up in the garage and hasn't been fully dealt with yet...

2. FleetWadd

FleetWadd
    from Sharon, Ok

I like them in the 2nd and 3rd pic with the buckets mounted factory

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Am I correct is saying that in picture 4 & 5, with the headlight bucket mounted INSIDE the fender well, that the light itself sits a little farther back, maybe 3/8" deeper? I'll be attaching these same rings on my '51 Merc fenders soon, so I've been considering both as well. The stainless ring (that attaches to the new frenching ring) is a real pain to remove. I'm not quite sure how to get it out without damaging it. The three clips that hold it in place really do a good job. That was making me want to mount the headlight bucket from inside the fenderwell, for ease of replacing the headlight.

4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Yes Doc, that's how they ride.

I didn't trim off any of the bucket "lip" that keys the stock ring in place, so they're a tad deeper than that 3/8", but not by much.

Is the curlicue on the spring getting caught on the inner edge of the stainless ring?

That'll make it a bear to get loose, I'll bet.

dv

5. Correct. I used the same rings on my 50. There's no good way to get the bulb out the front. Mount the bucket from inside the fender. I welded some long screws to the fender through the mounting holes, then used nuts to secure the bucket.
    Thom

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. metal man

metal man

I would also have it so the bucket and bulb go in from the back side. I never liked those frenching rings, though. They protrude a lot...similar to the original ring. Some folks like that look, but if it were mine, I would shoot for the look on this one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  7. Im not sure about your stock 51 headlight rings, but the few that I have owned are all pot-metal so no welding for those. I would go with the set you bought from the HAMBer........

8. If you are going to run the '53 Merc rings the bucket needs to be installed from behind for them to look right.

9. I was originally going to do the same but opted out. I mounted the buckets behind and also cut the housings down 3/4 inch. They stuck out like cannons otherwise. In the end i scraped the idea. Here's a few pics with the housings cut and tacked. This is on a 50 thou. The 51s stick out a far ways to.

Attached Files:

10. alchemy

alchemy

I like Tedley's trimmed down rings. And lose the halogens with the purple dot in the center. Some good old-fashioned sealed beams with regular ribs will look much better, IMO.

11. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

12. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I used my trim rings, welded them in no problem. I ground down the finish to metal.

Buckets are mounted from the inside of the fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not saying I did it right, but I did it, and it worked.