Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going to Charleston and Savannah this weekend what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Green49Ford, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Headed down south for a couple of days with the family. What is a Yankee to do? Anything that I have to see or do. Thanks for the help...I will be getting there this Sunday and staying until Thursday.
    CheaterJack

2. Lots of parties going on in Charleston this weekend, but nothing really family oriented. There's a fun gallery walk going on upper king street Thursday night, but I don't know if you'll be here for that. Widespread Panic is playing in North Charleston Friday & Saturday night, but I don't know if you're into them.

No car shows going on that I know of this weekend, had a big one last Sunday... If I come accross anything that looks like it might fit ya I will definitely let you know.

Check out www.charlestoncitypaper.com for a good list of events.

3. Lord don't tellum your a yankee.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Never mind the cars, there is enough to do in those two cities to keep you busy. Take in the history, it's one of those rare places in this country that you can really see how this country began. Take a Ghost tour while in Savannah and eat in Charleston. You can't go wrong.

5. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Savannah and Tybee island are really cool places. Old downtown Savannah has a "european" or maybe "new orleans" theme to it. Beautifull architexture and worth checking out.

Between Savannah and Tybee is Fort Pulaski, an old civil war fort that the kids might enjoy. Look for dolphins in the water in front of the fort, they hang out there.

And of course, fantastic beaches and "beach life" on Tybee.

I used to live there. Infact, if you ever read the book "Midnight in the garden of good and evil", Danny Hansfor's girlfriend lived across the street from us, and she babysitted my little brother while I was in school. Danny was a bit of a punk, and a few years older than me, but I did know him, and was there when he was killed.

I dont know of any car related stuff going on, but if you cant find any, there's still enough to keep you busy!

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

try isle of palms and sullivans island. pretty good flea market in ladson,thats north charleston. there is an aquarium,museum where there is some history about the Hunley. the Hunley launched off of battery point on sullivans island. really good seafood at shems' creek. Downtown charleston is a good place for a carriage tour. nearly every where you turn is something to do. Don't run a yellow light and get caught $$$$$$$.

7. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine says there is a VW show Saturday. :)
    I lived in Charleston for many years ... and I love to go downtown around the market area. Go to the Battery ... ( where the civil war started ) ... and work your way back up to the market. The horse carriage tours are very interseting and informative. They load up in the market. Lots of cool seafood places to eat. My wife and I prefer Hyman's ... right up on Meeting St. It is about 1000 feet from where the carriage tours load.

If you like Bar-B-Que ... go south on HWY 17 ... cross the twin bridges and go about three or four miles and Thomas Bessinger's is on the right ... just across from the Ford dealership. Be sure to get some of the onion rings. Look at the neat old photos on the walls about the Cooper River bridge and the new bridges.

:)

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

skidmark, what show was last weekend. the Texas Roadhouse or a different one?

9. GaryM

GaryM

cheaterjack
    A second on Hyman's in Charleston. : GET THE SHRIMP!!
    On Tybee, hit The Crab Shack (look for a sign on your right just at the end of the bridge coming onto the island.) In Savannah, we like the Shrimp Factory, (ask there about the place they own that serves the banana bread pudding for dessert....I forget the name), and Pearl's Saltwater Grille in Thunderbolt.
    Gary

10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In Charleston, check out Middleton Place, or any of the other plantations. Your wife will LOVE it, and it really isn't that bad for a dude either.

Charleston is a great town with lots of neat stuff to do, but the hot rod scene is pretty pittifull....

If you need anything while you are here, gimme a holler.

See ya, -Abone.

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Tubbys in Thunderbolt for sure! The brewery in Charlston has great in house beers and good food.

12. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

You guys Rule. I was hoping to get a few responses but you guys came through. I will check out as much as I can. I thank you and now my wife knows why I spend time here. Thanks again and I will let you know what I think when I return.
    CheaterJack

13. If you got time in Charleston, take one of the ghost tours...we took the prostitue one.....about all the old whore houses, where people died....it was cool. Also if your bored, we spent sometime walking through the grave yards...the stones rule, took pictures of them, and i never take pics of anything. Savannah, we ate at a really good restaurant in the touristy area, on an old cobble stone road, really good food, can't remember the name. Both towns are cool, lots of old buildings and crap like that..

14. 62rebel

62rebel

twin bridges? they're gone, man; the Arthur Ravenel bridge stands in their place.

everybody's had something TO do; i'll tell ya what NOT to.
    do NOT stroll the Battery at night.
    do NOT give money to the panhandlers at every traffic light.
    do NOT try to drive the crosstown if it's rained UNLESS you're in a bass boat.
    do NOT carry any cash ANYWHERE in this 'burg.
    do NOT enter North Charleston, Hanahan, Lincolnville, John's Island or West Ashley without a loaded firearm and a willingness to use it.
    enjoy your visit!

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

As you walk down the lower end of King Street ( the main street ) of Downtown Charleston ... look up some of the small walks and alleys. There are graveyards there with headstones fron the 1600's and 1700's. Most common are ones from the Civil War.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This shot is of the Battery ... where the Civil War was started

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a few shots of some of the neat stuff to see ... In Charleston.
    They also have the USS Yorktown battleship display ... and the Hunley ... the first submarine to ever sink another ship. It was a Confederate submarine. Sadly ... the crew died before returning to land. They are buried in Magnolia Cemetery Charleston SC

[​IMG]

Go here for more on the cemetery

http://www.scocr.org/Links/MagnoliaCemetery.htm

16. There's always Paula Dean place...yum, yum y'all

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The twin bridges still are standing ... beside the Charleston harbor ... overlooking all the high dollar yachts. :) I was not talking about the Cooper River bridges. I have travelled over the old bridge ( built in the 1920's ) ... and went over the new Cooper River Bridge the first day it opened to the Public in the 1960's. Went over the new Ravenal bridge in a 1932 Ford the first day it was opened to the public ( recently ) ...

As for the rest ... I have to disagree ... Charleston is a tourist town and not like downtown LA or New York city.

I do find it interesting that out of all the responses here that were positive ... yours is the only negative one :rolleyes:

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey nothing wrong with West Ashley., I called that hood home for 10 yrs. most of the was out of my pocket book. Hannahan, well you wont be up that way but if you are, its home to more 32 Fords then anywhere in Charleston. the crosstown is not bad, just gets a few inches of standing water, makes for a good story..

North Charleston can be rough but so can the north side of downtown charleston (right about where the liquor stores start and hotels end)

Stay away from flamedabone unless you bring a case of beer with you..

Take a tour out to the old fort, its neat to see and a nice boat ride in the harbor.

Enjoy yourself and dont be surprised when the locals address your wife as 'Miss' (especially the kids) or you as Sir. Manners are still taught down there

19. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

20. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Thanks again guys this means alot!!!
    CheaterJack

21. Savannah Red

Savannah Red

Savannah has a lot to see & do. Also, there are several museums to tour/most are in the downtown area, there's River Street with places to shop &
    eat. There's Ft. Pulaski (already mentioned) , Ft. Jackson thats not far from
    downtown area. There's lots of history here.The horse drawn carriage tours
    are really neat & informative. We just had a couple local car shows this past
    weekend & I think there is a :cool: mustang & classic ford show this weekend at
    the Armstrong Sate College. Also the Mighty Eighth Air Force Museum is
    really great! Come on & enjoy some great Southern Hospitality!!:)

22. fasterpastor

fasterpastor

I moved from Charleston in 1981 to Louisville to attend the Baptist seminary. I never moved back but I sure loved it there. Visit the Angel Oak, eat the hash at Bessingers BQ. If you are looking for a quiet beach go to Edisto Island. If you play golf it is heaven. Go to the fort it is a great boat ride, if you like to fish it is heaven. Visit the monestary at Moncks Corner. I could go on forever. I envy you. Have a great visit. Sometime in November there is a big car show called "Doin the Charleston." I believe it is the week before Thanksgiving. (America Bless God) It is a great country.

23. jaysix

jaysix

When you are in Charleston, make sure to eat at Brecks... 52oz steak, 4 sides and a drink for 22 bucks... Amazing food and crazy low prices. Also like alot of others said, look up the side streets in downtown.. We just moved my younger brother down last month and I didnt want to come home.. Im actually thinking about moving there once my wife finishes nursing school.

24. Go to the Velvet Elvis in Savannah

Excellent place to catch a show

25. tomscj6

tomscj6

Take a walking or carriage tour of the old town down to the battery. some of the oldest homes in the USA. Also last time I was there I visited the "Hunely" which is the human powered submarine that they recovered a few years ago http://www.hunley.org/

26. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

When downtown ... and after dark
    Stay below the intersection of Calhoun and King ... and you are in tourist country. A few blocks above that intersection can get a little less " tourist friendly " and more like other inter-cities after dark :(

I was in Charleston less than a month ago ... on a Friday evening with my wife, and we walked around in the market area after dark with NO FEAR. Lots of folks milling around ... well lighted and Police were around. Plenty of Bars and grills open ... and even the market still had vendors set up selling their wares.

27. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

Damn I forgot about Brecks. That place rocks. Best fried pickle you will ever eat!!!

28. Be sure to eat at the Pirate's Nest in Savannah. The building is about 250 years old, some of the best seafood you'll ever eat, and they bake all of their own bread in house. If you're within a half mile, just follow the aroma of baking bread. Williams Seafood out on the road from Savannah to Savannah Beach is also very good, not as pricey and less atmosphere but still some seriously good seafood.

29. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Charleston:
    Have dinner at Poogan's Porch, then wander over to Church St. and have a black & tan at Tommy Condon's Irish Bar. Enjoy the Battery during the day and look at the shops, really nice at sunset.

Savannah:
    There is a restaurant who's name escapes me, but everyone eats family style. Everything on the waterfront downtown is kinda spendy but nice. Take a boat ride, there is a boat that can take you for a tour.

It's been over five years since I was there last, but I doubt much has changed.