Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Going from a V8 to Inline 235 on a 47 Chevy Fleetline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aeroman, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think your earlier idea of using the 250 eng/350 trans with 2.73 gears is a very workable plan. Your could also use a common 3.08 rear gear and would still keep rpm's on the highway in a reasonable range. And no transmission adapter has to be used. As you probably know, the 230/250/292 have the same bell housing pattern as the V8 Chevy.

The 292 has gobs of torque but is likely to be less fuel efficient, if that is of concern. Any 230/250/292 can be fitted with the small diameter HEI. As for the 250's "appearance", there are adapter plates to use the 235 valve cover on the 230/250/292 head to retain the more vintage appearance.

All in all, the 250/350 combo is practical, economical, relatively easy to do and should be very reliable.

No matter what you decide, someone will have a "better idea".......so do what best suits your goals............

Best wishes with your project..........neat body style! :)

Ray

2. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a TCI Mustang II and apparently the crossmember/rack&pinion will interfere with the front of the engine like a 261/235/292

3. Aeroman

Aeroman

I can't thank you enough and to everyone else for the ideas/suggestions. I'm an engineer and I over think things, unfortunately! Is that your car in your profile pic??

I will be writing a build journal on the project on the main front page on our Chevybombs site. The car will be built as a traditional lowrider with aircraft hydraulics from the WW2 era.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. <-- following the CB site build, keep the pics coming (visual learner)

5. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I followed this thread with interest then it dropped off the map. What did you decide to use? What is your web site?

wuga

6. ..the 235 will rap a lot better than the newer 6's

7. Aeroman

Aeroman

I've decided to go with a 261cui, 3-speed Saginaw transmission, and a '68 Chevelle rear end with 3.08 gears. You can follow the build thread on 47Fleetline dot com or our main site, ChevyBombs dot com

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Orn

Orn

Juan, I think you came up with a good decision there. I use to put V8’s in all my rides in the past but nowadays I can enjoy the nice sound of an inline six or eight and I will even keep my flathead six in my 40 Plymouth. Maybe I’m getting old…. ;) Good luck whatever your choice will be.

9. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks Per! I just couldn't get away from the look, feel, and sound from a rapping 6 :)

10. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Hi Aeroman love your fleetline,
    Its good to see that some of you guys are returning to 6 pots even though you have tons of V8 engines available.
    My current ride runs 6 pot from the same family, but like yourself I have decided to install a later/larger 6 pot with triple carbs O/D gearbox and 3.45-1 gears rather than be drawn to the V8s that are overpriced and not as readily available over on this side of the pond.
    Good luck with the build, I have`nt heard of the CB site but will take a look.

Cheers Dave

11. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks Dave! I'd love to see your engine set up sometime. Send pics! Thanks and take care

12. Working at Langdon's Stovebolt, I can tell you most of the folks who have gone the route of a 235 with a TH350 are severely disappointed in the overall performance. If you are looking for an automatic, we STRONGLY recommend a 200 4R or 700R4 for gearing and somewhere near a 3.73 rear end gear. The sixes are not happy from first gear through highway with a TH350. And the mileage is horrendous to boot. If you want to go the manual option, the T-5 from an '83-'87 S-10 is the way to go. If you give Tom a call, he can tell you the deep science behind the transmission choices. There is also info on the tech tab at www.langdonsstovebolt.com

I hope this helps!

13. Aeroman

Aeroman

Thanks Doni! I'll check out the site g it's been awhile since I've visited it.

I ditched the automatic transmission idea and going with a late 60s Saginaw transmission ; I'd like the column shifting. Pics to come soon

14. Funny, we are thinking about engineering a way to column shift a T-5 in my '59 Chevy. For now, its just an automatic. (TH350). But after participating in a Great Race style road rally, I believe that the manual is the way to go if I am going to do more of these. I know I can cut a hole in the floor and do this. But why go the easy route? ;)

15. MistGreen50

MistGreen50
    from Belen,NM

John,Im one of the guys he is listening to.So I guess im one of the "homeboys"???

16. fnla39

fnla39

I run a '62 235 with a dual Rochester and headers set up in my '52 Chevy truck. T-5 trans with '79 Trans Am rear end with Richmond 4:11 gears. This is as far as I'm concerned the sweet spot for set ups. It has a strong take off from a stop and good cruising speeds and able to pass cars with ease. Going up a steep grade and it keeps digging, no slouch a the way around.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!