Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going from 6 volt to a 12 volt system in the 50 model

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheWill, May 25, 2010.

1. TheWill

TheWill
    from AL

I am working on getting ready to take my 50 model chevy from a 6 volt to a 12 volt sytem, I honestly dont know where to begin or what all is involved. Anyone have any advice or pointers?

2. robleticia

robleticia

national chevy assoc. or patricks

3. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

a few resistors, new light bulbs, may as well put in new battery cables, of course a battery, not a big deal really. you can wire up a plain gm alternator to a 1 wire real easy.

4. .45ACP

.45ACP

I agree with 53sled,definetly use the 1 wire gm alternator. i changed over a 50 ford from 6 to 12 volt. none of the lights worked anyway so i didnt change any bulbs.I also kept the 6 volt starter, it worked just fine.

5. Change all the bulbs to a 12 V. Dash,headlight and tail lights. Install an alternator.
    The amp guage will work no problem. Was the 6 volt system negative ground? If not reverse the wire,s on the amp meter.
    The mechanical guages are fine Temp or oil. The gas guage will need a resistor. One side of the gauge goes to the sending unit the other is power. between the gauge and the power wire install a resistor. Rember the heater motor,Radio.wiper motor. Anything that works off the battery. The heater motor and the wiper motor can be changed to a 12V unit.
    Hop this helps.

6. TheWill

TheWill
    from AL

awesome yeah that helps a lot, i am going to start working on this. I really need to work on adding the new dash light and upgrading the signals and such. The ones i have on there now are pretty dim and I have had to resort to hand signals.

7. The_Monster

The_Monster