Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going Dutch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spyder, Jul 20, 2011.

1. It looks like we are moving to The Netherlands in a year, and I need to find out what the rules are for hot rods in that fine country.

I'm about 1/2 way into building a blower set up for my model A, I would hate to finish it and find that's not allowed there. So I guess that's the main thing I want to know. I also want to know that kind of vehicle inspections are done, and if there are different types of registration for hobby vehicles that are only used here and there on weekends

It looks like we will probably be around the Hauge for about 4 years.

Thanks in advance.

2. rschilp

rschilp

Cool, let me know if I can help, I grew up there and moved to Texas a few years ago.

Actually lived in and around the Hague for most of my life.. ps. it's s'Gravenhage or Den Haag in Dutch.

Rules are pretty strict, safety, lighting and aftermarket stuff are tough to get approved. Your best bet is to have a car that is as close to original as possible.

There are quite a few Dutchmen on here, they should be able to help you in more detail.

3. Thanks for the response. Well, not one damn thing on my Model A is original. If it's a huge issue, Ill leave my A in the states and take my 65 Mustang to Europe. It's a little closer to stock. I think the car is safe, but I'm sure if cop types poke around it, they'll find stuff they don't like. Bias ply tires ok?

4. if you don't mind me asking, what brings you to the Netherlands?
    My grandparents are from there, I'd love to visit some day.

5. Mrs. Spyder works for a large energy company with a main office in the Netherlands. Her sister lives there too. We have been there a few times and really had a good time.

6. Sweet, good luck man!

7. Say hi to Ger Peters,... Dutch Courage on the H.A.M.B. Hey, wait a minute,...
    I bet if you were to PM him, he may be able to clue you in... He's one of those stuffy artist types but he okay... Ha, ha!

8. rschilp

rschilp

Google translations of the original pages from the RDW (Rijksdienst Wegverkeer, Government Service for Road traffic)

Check : http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rdw.nl%2Fnl%2Fparticulier%2Fauto%2Finvoeren%2FPages%2FIndividueletoelatingskeuring.aspx

And here: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rdw.nl%2Fnl%2Fparticulier%2Fauto%2Finvoeren%2FPages%2FPersonenautoinvoerenvanbuitenEuropeseunie.aspx

9. If you come to the Netherlands, welcome

The rules about hotrods are strict, but it's certainly not impossible to drive a hotrod.
    Like Rob said, inspection is best with a car in near stock condition, like a stock Model A with a V-8 flathead and stock Model A brakes, not safe but easier to inspect than diskbrakes and more new stuff).:confused:
    When the car has Dutch papers, most Dutch cars are changed into hotrods and the nice thing is that cars before 1960 are free of inspection, so once it has Dutch papers there are no more restrictions and also the Dutch police is not to strict about it because there knowledge about it is not a lot.;)
    Cars before 1987 are also free of roadtax, so also your Mustang is cheap to run.
    Insurance for "oldtimers" are also cheap, my stock Model A coupe is about 40 euro a year.
    My motobike insurance is 60 euro for 7 (yes seven) bikes if they are 25 years or older. :)
    Downside is Gasoline, whitch is 1,70 euro a litre or about 6,70 euro a Gallon :mad:

And nice to know that most Dutchies speak more or less English :cool:

Groeten/greetings Hennie

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you don't smoke you better start. Everyone in the Netherlands smokes. The men, women, kids, dogs, I mean everyone. Been there on business several times, you have to fight your way through a wall of smoke to get into a restaurant.

12. Thanks for all the helpful posts and links.

Are there any different rules for race vehicles that will not be used on the street?

It's not looking good for my '28 to be approved for use in Holland, but I should be able to refit my '65 to look mostly stock. I'll bring a big container of non-stock "spares" for it.

13. B.llsh.t, i don't smoke, never did and never will.:confused:
    Most Dutch HAMBERS i know are smart, they have hotrods and don't smoke either.
    With 5 euros a pack of sigarettes it's no fun to smoke here :D

14. Most hotrods in the western part of Holland are in a 20 miles range of The Hague, so your in the best area with fellow rod owners :)

15. A great club to belong to and run with is the Belgium Street Cruisers Association (BSCA). They have chapters all over western Europe, and hold some of the largest events over there. I was a member while I was stationed in Germany in the early '90s. I was literally half a kilometer from the Dutch border, so I ran with a lot of Germans and Dutch that were into American cars. The BSCA has a really cool newsletter that is more like a small magazine.

Website: http://www.bsca.be/ And it's in Dutch, too, so you can start learning the language, if you don't know it already!

16. wouterftw

wouterftw

The RDW has this "2 out of 3 rule", where 2 thirds need to be stock (body, chassis, driveline). To get the car put on your name you'll need the title that matches the VIN. These guys can be a pain in the ass, but it all comes done to the guy that does the inspection (My brother came in with his crappy '55 and it was a matter of minutes for the approval, my father came in with his restored '54 and they started going crazy over the VIN. Had to get back for a second inspection done by the police.).

As said already, pre-60 cars don't have to come back for a yearly inspection and pre-80's (or something) won't have to pay roadtaxes. Oldtimer insurances are cheaper too.

17. Rickdeluxe

Rickdeluxe

Better leave the '28 in the states! It'll take you 4 years to get it through RDW (inspection and registration). Bring the Mustang, be prepared for 9-10 bucks per gallon gas!
    The Hague is a friendly city, very green, lots of expats, near the beach, enough 'coffee'shops and lousy weather... I should know: born and raised here.
    I quit smoking years ago when it went out of fashion (and out of budget)!

18. The_General

The_General

Because you are living in the us and moving to the Netherlands, you probably don't have to do an inspection because you are immigrating.. it's called immigration rules (verhuisregeling) I can check it for you if you want?

Don't be scared to take your car to Netherlands there are all certain tricks to get your car on title.

19. General, you are giving me hope!

20. The Mustang shouldn't be too much of a problem if it looks mostly stock...

21. The_General

The_General

It seems that if your are going to the Netherlands for just temporary you can drive your car with US licence for max 6 months.. But check if your US insurance does overseas.
    If you want to get it on dutch licence you have to pass the "RDW" inspection

You probaly don't have to pay tax because it's a vihicle for personal use.

If it's a military job then there are specials rules.

sorry for giving you hope, but a blow v8 will not pass inspection.

22. Maria

Maria

Welcome to Europe ! Remember to drive to Finland next summer. ESRA Street Rod Nationals are here in July.

23. wouterftw

wouterftw

The RDW-info doesn't match up to the plates. It says the car's color is red and it has an expiration date on the APK which is kind of weird.

Anyway, your Mustang won't be a problem at all. There are a lot of Mustangs around here, parts and such will be pretty easy to come by.

24. farmer12

farmer12

This is all correct. Take the Stang if it's mostly stock. Good luck! Let me know if I can help in any way!

25. KIRK!

KIRK!

<--------jealous. New Zealand would be my first choice, but the Netherlands is pretty awesome.

26. The car was inspected when it was still in red color and at the time there was still APK (annual inspection rules) and believe me this car is correctly on paper, only the HP's (kilowatts) are wrong and used from an original car.