Register now to get rid of these ads!

Going back to points

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BISHOP, Dec 19, 2010.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP

Im not going to go into detail as to the reason why.

Ive got a ford 300 6, got new points set up with a factory coil. Do I need a ballast resistor.

If I do need a ballast resistor, what do I ask for.

Thanks in advance, BISHOP

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Depends on the coil ... internal (built in) or external resistor. Most are marked as such if internal.

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

Best thing you'll ever do. I dicked around with various electronic ignitions and went back to points. Haven't looked back.

4. yes, because normal operating voltage will overload the ignition system.

5. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

what he said...

6. Also depends on what it's going IN. IIRC, many Fords used a resistor wire between the ignition switch and the coil instead of a ballast resistor. If it's a factory Ford points ignition harness, turn the key on and check voltage at the coil + wire...NOT the one that comes from the starter solenoid. If it's around 3V lower than battery voltage, you don't need a ballast resistor.

BTW, if you use that wire to provide voltage for an electronic ignition, it may not run right.

7. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Are you using the 4 post Ford style solenoid? If so the 4th terminal supplies full 12v to the coil while the starter is engaged. momentarily bypassing the reisitor wire or ballast. It switches back to the circuit from the ign switch through the resistor (if equipped) when the key is released.