Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Going back to a vintage motor in my F100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Sep 12, 2017.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

That Jasper rebuilt 460 and C-6 that I thought was a killer deal turned out to be not so great,motor has a vibration which I think Jasper put the wrong crank in and the trans never shifted right so out it comes this winter. Since I still had the FE mounts and clutch parts I will be getting a 60,000 mile 65 car 352 that was given to me for helping removing it and on the hunt for another truck 4 speed,the only reason I done that swap was the original 4 speed had bad syncros on third gear and I now wish I would have grabbed that 69 390 that was in the pull and pay last year. I have been wanting to build something to play with at the track so the 460 will be gone through and stuffed into a light car.

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six

I've recently read things about Jasper that have not been what I would have expected. Sorry for your bad luck.

els likes this.
  3. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I have heard of at least two guys that have had Jasper problems in the last few months. Thats too many bucks and too much work to repair/replace for me. Did you contact your local Jasper rep with the problem?

els likes this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I bought it used so no warranty,I am going to take the 352 but keep a watch for a car 390. The truck motors have lower compression that is very noticable,the original 352 ran great but no power and the 390 I had in my country squire got alot better gas mileage then this 460.

els likes this.
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

boy, lots of work and $ to try to go out and have fun - but, gotta do what ya gotta do - yep, a warmed up car 390 torque can truly be a lot of fun with right trans & rear gears

els likes this.
  6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did not do too bad on the 460,bought the donor truck for 500 and scrapped the rest of it plus with some other junk I had and got almost 300 and drove it a few years thinking the vibration was coming from the suspension. I want to put in a motor so I can eventually sell it.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six

If you could get 10 mpg with a 460 I think Ford would buy it back because it was too good. :p

Special Ed likes this.
  8. dang...a 390 in an early pick up.....just don't see an issue....not hard to find....not a whole lot of money for a simple build....the truck is light in the first place.....run one in my 1965 F350 wrecker...has plenty of beans.....just saying....

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am going to see how the free 352 runs before trying to find a 390 unless one shows up.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The desire to put a period correct motor back in my truck ended today when I bought a mid 90s 302 and 351 for 100 each,its going to stay a automatic too since I have those parts in stock and do not have to chase down a FE truck 3 speed bellhousing and will keep the toploader 4 speed for a car.

11. southcross2631

southcross2631
    from Florida

352 's can be made to be a very respectable performer if you change the cam ,heads and intake.
    Check with Survival Motorsports for some FE parts.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I was going to go with a 351 if I could find one and was offered the 352 so since I did have the mounts and clutch parts still I figured it was the way to go but after looking at a truck 4 speed at a swap meet I was beginning to rethink that idea. I was offered the 302 and 351 in wrecked trucks for 100 each so I grabbed them and since I have a parts truck with a small block C-6 and mounts I will not have to buy a truck 3 speed and bellhousing or take those parts off a truck in the junkyard that is sunk to the frame in mud.