Register now to get rid of these ads!

Go for a ride? Mans best copilots! ..lost one tonite......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Mar 17, 2009.

1. I am really sorry to learn of the multiple loss in your family. Asshats are evenly distributed over the whole continent. I live between two towns on a road with a 30mph speed limit because the road is fully developed. We have a large deer population, and every year, I have to bury 3 or 4 deer that are hit by speeding cars. 90% of the time, the idiots don't even stop. There is a service that is contracted and supposed to pick up the dead animals, but by the time they get around to doing the cleanup, the animals are already high, and the smell is unbearable. I have an excavator, so the digging isn't the problem, the fact that it isn't necessary is what bothers me.
    I hope you find another bulldog. I know they make wonderful, strong willed pets.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  2. That is OUTSTANDING that you care>I truly admire you, you have a great heart, and a great spirit.

3. Thanks, Gary, you are too kind.
    Bob

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. Just read through every entire post. Reminded me of losing my two Goldens. Both males and died of old age first was 16 and his son made it to 18. Got two cats now well the wife does but the Himalayan male adopted me while the Maine Coon male is still hers, both fixed. Then my sister replaced my Golden with Susie, yet another registered Golden that they bred. She will sleep with either me or the wife, whoever gets into bed first while Smoke will only sleep with me. Someone already said it, Angles with paws. Unforgiving love for love in return and you will make you love them.

5. We lost both our golden retrievers within 8 months of each other. Sophia died in December at the age of 10. Cancer. We lost her "brother", Desmo, in August. He was just shy of 17 years old.

We decided to wait a while before getting another dog. Easier to travel, etc.

Last Wednesday afternoon I got a call from my wife. You know where this is going. Wednesday night we had this guy.

IMG_3088.JPG

An 8 year old border collie/Australian shepherd mix. Adopted him from the humane society. Supposedly he has some issues. Storm anxiety. Seperation anxiety. Guards his food. Guards his toys. Well... he did get nervous when it thundered last week. So he's like every other dog we've had. He has shown zero aggression when I take his toys. Ditto his food. And seperation anxiety? We left him alone for over five hours yesterday. When my wife walked in the door, he was sprawled out on the couch. When he heard her he stretched out, looked over at her, and wagged his tail. That's anxiety???

He's been a fantastic dog so far, I'm still waiting for the issues to kick in...

All that said, I still can't talk about Sophia sometimes. And this guy gets called "Desmo" at least once a day.

6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D My little fur ball Morris loves to watch the videos here on the HAMB.If he likes it he will head bump the monitor and purr.If not he will growl and hiss.Only one of the latter so far.He`s got good taste.Seems to really like the test drive videos.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. I am happy to learn that you have found a great rescue dog.
    Bob

8. Yeah, lymphoma took Packard, too, so I know that horrible path and I empathize. I think it helps to pour your love into every dog you come across, whether it's yours or not. They are bottomless tanks soaking up our compassion, and I know they all love cars, too.

9. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Well Sunday was the final day. Hattie the yellow lab started having some serious problems on Saturday afternoon and proceeded to get worse as the day went on. The GF has a friend that is a vet and she agreed to come the house on Sunday morning and help us. The Grandkids were spending the weekend so that made that interesting especially the 6 yo girl. We ended up taking her out to the shed workshop to do it. I had a pretty rough time most of the day Sunday as I waited until the grandkids left to bury her. I have to say the older I get the harder this is both physically and mentally. I had her for 11 years, she was 12 in Aug.

j-jock likes this.
  10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We have 4 Chihuahua's; one actually a Chihuahua mix (Pug, Chihuahua, Rat Terrier, Pekinese-had a DNA done on her). She used to run and jump (Rat Terrier) in the truck anytime I was going somewhere. Last Nov the 5th, we were involved in a hit-and-run accident. When I got out of the truck to survey the damage, she jumped out, ran across 3 lanes of freeway without getting hit, and jumped a Jersey barrier. I did't fine her until 4 hours later, and she had been hit by a car/truck. Fractured her pelvis, and a Vet clinic wanted 8K to plate and screw her pelvis together. I had already spent 2K on an emergency clinic Vet, our own Vet, and the referral to the clinic that wanted 8K. We elected not to have the surgery, went with kennel rest, and today she runs and jumps just as she did before. BUT, she won't run/jump into the truck any longer. I guess she sees the truck as a bad thing now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

j-jock, chryslerfan55 and bobwop like this.
  11. IMG_0820.JPG Lost this little guy recently. Broke my heart.

j-jock and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. cshades

cshades
    from wi

20170916_153034.jpg 20170916_164307.jpg GF just sent these to me.This was the last time on the lake in September on one of those 85 degree days we had. She would chase that ball until she couldn't stand up.

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Love those Labrador retrievers. Our yellow female Maggie will retrieve 24 hours a day if we let her.

14. The picture on the left is the definition of happiness.
    Bob

15. cshades

cshades
    from wi

Yeah she was never happier than on the boat/lake and that ball. The pic on the right was after all that ball catching. I put her in the back of the Tahoe, she laid down went to sleep and I didn't see her head pop up until I pulled in the driveway.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  16. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I feel your sorrow. We are going through the cancer thing right now with our Welch Springer. He is still very happy and eating and playing. A month ago they said he had two weeks. Each day is a bonus!

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I took the first ride yesterday since having to put down my copilot of 14 years. It just isn't the same without him.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

Engine man, sorry for your loss. I know exactly how you feel. When the time is right get yourself a new best friend.

Gary

19. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'm too far along to get another dog. If I was a dog they'd put me down too. My old guy couldn't walk 50 feet anymore and I have back trouble and can't walk very far either. Not fair to a dog.