Register now to get rid of these ads!

Go for a ride? Mans best copilots! ..lost one tonite......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topolino Kid, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

We had to have our Jack Russell put down today due to a tumor which burst his spleen. We got him in March 2006 as a small puppy from our county's animal control dept. for $10. We named him Blue because there was an episode of The Andy Griffith Show where Barney had a dog named Blue so since my wife and I met each other through their website Mayberry.com we decided to name him Blue. He was a great dog and will be missed but at least he's not in pain anymore....

3-16x 021.jpg

3-21 017.jpg

2. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

It's always hard to lose a member of the family:(

3. putz

putz
    from wisc.

i feel for you , we have lost 9 dogs , it never gets easy saying [ good by and thank you ] , we just found out that our Jake has cancer ,we still have Mc Duff and Lil Emma , after they are gone we won,t replace just can,t say good by any more ............

Gary Reynolds and wraymen like this.
  4. What Topolino Kid said

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  5. There was another thread that I posted on after having lost 3 dogs in about a year. Cancer, liver failure and old age(19) claimed them. I still have not gotten another one but a day doesn't go by that I don't think about adopting. You just have to have a dog/cat. Some one said it earlier, you don't choose one, they choose you.
    Sorry to hear about everyone's losses.

chryslerfan55 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  6. Well guys, I know some of you scoff at cats.Not me.I've had many animals , dogs, cats, turtles, you name it in my 64 years.
    Yesterday my wife and I had to put down our girl and my faithful loving companion of 15 years, our cat Spunky.She belonged to my wife's Mother, we took her when she unexpectedly died. The cat also went from fine to death in just a few days.
    I am NOT ASHAMED to say right now I am devastated.She slept with me, got up with me, she and I communicated and were just plain pals during my retirement.I really loved that cat, and she really loved us.
    Make light all you want, I will miss her dearly.
    downsized_Image111220141135111.jpg

j-jock, LBCD, SLCK64 and 3 others like this.
  7. cosmotiki

cosmotiki
    from SoCal

SLCK64 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  8. Thanks.

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

I was raised with dogs but for the last 20 years we have had a number of cats as well as dogs. They are all different and cats can be as cool as dogs. Some are quite independent but loving nevertheless. We had to put down a cat two weeks ago that we figured was in his 20s (not sure how old as we rescued him about 17 years ago and he was an adult cat then-his original owner passed). It bothered me then and still bothers me as you get attached to these little guys for sure. Nothing to be ashamed of.

You gave your friend a good home and she passed knowing she was loved. That is worth a lot. Missing her only means you have a heart. Condolences for your loss.

cosmotiki, blowby and Gary Reynolds like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm right there with you Gary, I've loved cats my entire life.
    Though we never got another after our last one passed I've sure thought about it.
    We got this little guy nine years ago and he learned to dislike cats from our friends Cairn Terrier when we kept him while owner was out of town, wish we could have a cat too.

20170902_191411.jpg

Believe it or not this is his brother.
    The owner got him the day before we got ours.

20170624_084156.jpg

cosmotiki and Gary Reynolds like this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

<- I'm a dog lover, and here's what I don't get: Two of my best friends, old guys like me, hate dogs! Both of them are car guys, married, nice, normal caring guys in every other respect. But around dogs, forget it. My dog will walk up to them wagging his tail hoping to be greeted and pet like everyone else does and they will shun him away. How can they not like dogs? I bet if they were on a deserted island with one they would get it. Or maybe eat it...

Anyway sorry for the losses. Another good friend just put his down, only 12, and the hurt is obvious.

12. I don't get it either. Animals are amazing creatures we share the planet with WE are just fancier apes ( hot rodders PROVE THIS ) LOL! No reason not to respect life and treat living things as WE want to be treated.
    Hmmm...seems like somebody said something like that before!

Hatchet likes this.
  13. wicarnut

wicarnut

Sorry for your loss of your cat, as an animal lover I understand. For the man that his friends do not like dogs/animals, Never trust a person that does not like dogs/animals and surely trust your dog's intuition on your dog's judgement on someone. Just my Opinion this AM. My two dogs are laying at my feet waiting for me to finish typing and get up and go out to the garage.

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Ha, mine too. And when I get out there, if the door to my heap is open, he'll jump in. Actually he'll jump in anything, but somehow he knows this one is special. Probably all the time I spend on it.

0720171541a.jpg

Gary Reynolds, wicarnut and LBCD like this.
  15. pappatyrone

pappatyrone

So sorry. I know how bad it hurts

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. I am Sorry for your loss. They are just like family. I have had 3 golden retriver 4 counting Sunny Girl now. When I worked at the nursing home a nurse had a red golden retriever. They kept him on a chain in the back yard for 5 years.They would let him in the garage when it snowed. They were moving and wanted to know if I wanted him. Jake was his name. I said sure. All Jake wanted was some one to love him and he got it with Teresa and me.He would curl up by the fire place with me in the winter and work with me down in the shop .He was a big dog. The best I remember him by was one morning Teresa was looking out over the porch railing looking at the mountians and Jake came up next to her and jumped up and hung his big paws over the railing and looked at me wife as to say what are we looking at?????We only had him 4 years before cancer took him down fast. I still remember that last look he gave me before I had to have him put down. Still tears me up so I know your pain.Now Sunny girl is 12 years old and is really having trouble getting up with her hips and eyes but once she is up she is ok. She still chases the opossems here every night barking her head off chasing them from the cat food.LOL..I am trying to prepare my self for the end but you are never ready for it. I hope you can get a pooch to take his place. All my dogs have rescue dogs. Take care and good luck. Bruce. 004 (2).JPG

Gary Reynolds and Speedwrench like this.
  17. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I have a yellow lab that is having some major medical problems that cant be fixed. So I am in that place of having to make a decision soon. It is not something I want to do, but when she becomes uncomfortable I will. I am spending as much time with her as I can before that day.

18. Pets bring us so much joy that the pain of losing them is difficult to bear, particularly in the first few weeks after losing them when you expect them to still be there, then you remember.
    We have had dogs and cats, and all our animals have been someone else’s rejects.
    Because of our age, I am reluctant to get another pet, but time will tell. They seem to find us.
    Here is a picture of the last two, the grey manx, Butterball, was abandoned because of a drug bust, and the black and white, Scrawnie, was a feral cat that found our doorstep as a juvenile. They both had over 15 years with us. bball_scrawnie_038a.jpg

19. After our dog "Wiser" shot for Budweiser died I didn't want another one,with the way we work and travel it was something else to take care of so for years we didn't have any pets,then one day Brenda came home with a wild rabbit and it became the family pet.

Believe it or not we would let Jack out every morning and he would be sitting on the front porch wanting in every afternoon.

He made a great pet,used a littler box like a cat and loved to sit in Brenda's lap.

Jack got in some type of poison the utility company sprayed around the telephone pole and the vet could do anything for him.

We now have a cat,or he has us and a parrot named Sam,mean as a snake,he hates me,loves Brenda & fried chicken,he has cannibalistic tendencies! :rolleyes: HRP

20. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Lost my English Bulldog named Tankerbell was girly and burly. She got stupid and left the yard which she never did 6 acres no reason to and got hit. Asshat never even stopped you would think you would notice hitting a 65lb dog. Only dog I have ever bonded with, probably only one I ever will again.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Sorry for your loss... stop by the animal shelter when you get a chance. You don't have to take one home... just pick a few to scratch their ears and speak to kindly. Doesn't cost anything and will likely help you and the dogs will love it!!
    Later you can decide if you're ready for another one but the whole kennel will love your visits... and I think you'll get more out of the visits than you expect.;)

wraymen, Gary Reynolds and The37Kid like this.
  22. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

The issue is the Only dog I think I can ever get into is another Bulldog, and they are non existent around here for less than $1500 +. We got ours from my Wife's cousin that breeds them, sadly their Stud my Dogs Father was hit by a car the Day before my dog was. Her sister and one Brother were also the Victims of Car strikes.

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Man that's rough. I'm worried about my 1.5 year old pup getting hit, he seems oblivious. From what I understand the fear is just not in their DNA the way fear of snakes or some such is. The only way they learn, I'm told, is if they get hit and survive. Mine runs circles around my dump truck or tractor when I'm working. Thought about tying a big piece of foam on the front and smacking him with it but couldn't bear to hurt him.

24. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Condolences, losing a "Fur Kid" is very tough. Hopefully on the brighter side we have great memories and story's to tell about their super personaltys and the fun stuff we shared. We can be at peace knowing that we gave them a loving home for all that they gave us.

25. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

My Bulldog was perfect we live in the country, but have a rather short Driveway and live on a Tar road, so the fear was always there, but we used to leave her outside all day while we went to work in the Spring-Fall and she would roam around the grove or go bug the Land renters while they filled the Grain bins, but never went by the road, in fact she was almost afraid to go past the property side of the ditch. But unfortunately and this is what hit my wife the hardest is that she took Tank for a walk on the shoulder of the road and after that she thought it was ok to go by the road.

26. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

My two Labs, Ginger and Mattie in front of my 38 Buick. Happy Dogs.jpg

Gary Reynolds and bobwop like this.
  27. We lost Packard, our third Aussie, about two years ago to cancer. He was only 2-1/2 years old, and went within 5 weeks of diagnosis. Christmas was miserable. Within five days after he died, we got another one, an Aussie puppy that no one seemed to want - the remainder of a litter. The breeder said he hadn't gotten much human handling. We've made up for that. I'd never before gotten another dog so quickly after losing one. Best decision to re-load quickly in this case. Winslow healed our loss of Packard as best he could, and absolutely loves our constant attention.
    It's not whether you need another dog; it's whether another dog needs you.

Gary Reynolds and seb fontana like this.
  28. Its been a year since I lost my best friend to lymphoma. Some days I still break up thinking about her. I miss how she used to read car magazines with me in the evening. She preferred Rod&Custom.

penny with rod and custom.jpg
    But I sometimes caught her reading a lowrider magazine:

penny with lowrider.jpg

29. Never actually tried this but a friend told me he broke his dog from chasing cars by getting some friends to drive by and get the passenger to dump a bunch of tin cans in front of the dog as he's running beside the car. He said it scared the chase right out of him. Sounded good to me but I never tried it. I ended up fencing my yard(five freakin acres, it took me forever) and using a leash every where else. If you have a herding breed dog this is about all you can do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    blowby and Gary Reynolds like this.
  30. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

My condolences..I have read every post in this thread and feel for every single person.. ...I have seen people with all kinds of companions that would surprise..One of the funniest was a huge [in my eyes] Parrot..Old Navy guy brought him all around with him..Parrot wasn't too friendly but could sing See The USA In Your Chevrolet pretty good although he did sound like Donald Duck.. My shed-master will be 15 next month, I will be 69 so the both of us will just keep on doing as best we can...

Hamtown Al and Gary Reynolds like this.