Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS so who won ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I think your bang on mate :(

2. 60'coupe

60'coupe

This is so true Hankcash, I like to stand back and watch the crowds reaction to the cars and try and listen to comments. Well said !!
    60'

3. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Yeah, but it's still a turd when you get done.....

4. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Its the same over here in the UK with our Best in Britain show, seems to be all about money spent these days, The car that won in the UK looked like Fred Warrens Shockwave and that was built years ago !!!

5. 58Lincoln

58Lincoln

I just showed the photos of the "winning" car to my wife.

She said, "Oh that thing is horrible, it must be based on how much money you spend or who you bribe".

Enough said.

6. no they keep spinning when you push it on to the trailer :rolleyes:

7. You can roll it in powdered sugar all ya want. It still ain't a donut:D

8. This is a great show but the trophy need to say most perfectly detailed car and just get rid of the beautiful part of it if they are not going to judge on style. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder that is true but they are not even looking at beauty just precision. Being perfect does not make a thing of beauty. The judges need to take an art appreciation class before next year, then maybe they will be able to look beyond perfection to see the true beauty of an object is not how perfect all the parts fit, but how they all go together in a way that is pleasing to the eye.

On a side note, I would like to see him try to register that thing in California. It looks as much like a Toyota as any 33 ford I have ever seen( it does not even have a cowl) so you can't smog it to what year it most resembles and the motor is not one of Government Motors approved by SEMA's smog motors.

9. Mr.Bomba

Mr.Bomba

Its kinda funny! when I passed by that car it didnt even get my attention what I said when I passed by was Damn! thats a badass turntable didnt even really look at the car I guess just not really my cup of tea!

10. Larry T

Larry T

Ya wanna know how they're judged? Here ya go.
    http://www.rodshows.com/pdf/SampleJudgingSheet.pdf

And these things are Street Rods about like fenderless 32's are Gassers. They're Show Cars, plain & simple. They're built to score the most points, not necessarily look the best.
    Larry T

11. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

it answers the '?' now much '$'s does it take to F*** up a 33ford grill
    this award lowers the importance given to the GNRS

12. That's a real money wasting concept. But, to each his own. It gives us a good reason to re-visit a small taste of our last meal:D. That's why I try to eat something very tasty before attending

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Hey! I had nothing to do with that car. And if I had, I sure wouldn't tell you guys! :D

I often forget that we as "traditionalists", do not in fact, rule the world when it comes to what is the "coolest" when it comes to cars. The fact is, majority rules. And we are not in the majority. We sit in our collective ivory tower that is the hamb and pass judgement on cars like this abomination of a roadster with fucking wine tasting accoutrements in the trunk as if we can actually change someone else's tastes by our collective will alone. It ain't gonna happen. We are surrounded by some of the most creative, tasteful, and talented builds anywhere in the world of cars, right here on the hamb. But as much as we love what we love, not everybody feels the same. There will always be what we consider ugly cars being built. There will always be what we consider ugly cars that win shows. This is for sure one of the ugliest. These differenes, in a larger picture, is what makes the world go round. It's still a car. We all love cars. It's not what I would do (hell, I can't even dream about being able to afford to build a kick ass roadster), but I am just a numbskull with a keyboard and an opinion.

14. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, but so is trying to be the fastest or coolest car around. We all have our own addictions.
    Larry T

15. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

My wife made me quit walking by that car when we were in that building because the stupid "props" they had scared the hell out of her. I thought it looked like a Donkster........

16. didn't they cancel "PIMP MY RIDE?" sure hope the rest of the show was worth the money everyone here paid for that attended.

17. Yeah, I really thought the display(?) was terrible, and kinda stupid too

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right on. I guess a perfect world is dominated by highboys with big n little steelies, everything else is just wrong, right? No, wrong. There's a lot of talent in that car. Whether or not you like it could be the most obscure point to the whole gig. It's a collaberation of the owner and builder for this purpose just like the Ridler. I've agreed with some Ridlers and disagreed with just as many. While we can't just say "who cares" we don't have to spend our time stroking their sacks or dissin their taste. I'd bet a good dinner that there's something on that car that any HAMB member could get inspiration from. Just 1 lil thing. The way it was executed, a solution to a problem, something. To say it's ugly or expensive or tasteless, well that's almost tasteless...almost. As what was finally said we are indeed sort of stuck in what we think kool really is (yeah I spelled it with a "k" so fuck off) and rightfully so. We like the beginning, the era that made it happen and few that followed. I like the mid 60s. Some like the lakes look from the 40s. Some like the drag look from the early 70s. Cars like Foose's "Impression" or Troy's "First Love" were genuine winners.

19. I have to agree with you,traditionalisiam doesn't count for much in todays GNRS winners. HRP

20. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I just heard that the winner was disqualified because it was not set up in time on friday but the guy that runs the show allowed it back in. Any truth to that?

21. mutt423240

mutt423240

where are the judges heads??

22. I didn't hear that it was disqualified but Denise had mentioned in another post that they didn't set it up on time and other competitiors were not happy that it was allowed to compete. If it was and let back in I think that is about all you need to know about who wins these shows.

23. Larry T

Larry T

Like any form of competition, there are rules for protest. And I'm sure if the winner were protested it wouldn't be decided in a couple of days.
    Larry T

24. Not a fan of the GNRS winner at all. I do however like the HAMB pick, it was my second favorite from the pics seen.

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

So, where's your beads?

Rich

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

27. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Like you, did not even give it a second look ...and that demonic swap meet cabbage patch "doll" .. ...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  28. the-rodster

the-rodster

From article...

"Rick Dore's car, while visually and proportionally stunning, lacked the exuberantly chromed undercarriage that AMBR winners must have. It was just cool and that's not what wins at this show, at least not the way the rules are written now. (Why not change the rules to encourage creative, game-changing entries?)."

Hey, there's an idea!

29. the-rodster

the-rodster

again, from article....

“I've always had in my mind taking a Delahaye or Delage and working that look into a Ford roadster,” said winning owner Dingman."

WTF!!!

Rich

30. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I noticed that the judging sheet seems to have no provision for style, taste, proportion or how the entire design concept works. This is the same thinking that eventually killed off custom cars in the late 50's/early 60's. The builders and judges became so focused on earning judging points with gimmicks and pointless details (did the car really need 36 fake air scoops and upholstered wheel wells?) that they ignored the fact that the end result was often an embarrassing mess that looked as if it were designed by a committee of blind people (no offense intended to committees or blind people!).

The AMBR part of the show is like the clowns at the circus ... amusing for a few minutes but not really why I came to the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.