Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS Hot Rod ID --> Calling all HAMB'ers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mosimpson, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mosimpson

mosimpson

I saw this hot rod p/u in several of the GNRS pic threads. I am trying to find out more about it. Does anyone have contact information for the owner/builder of this truck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The truck was parked near a booth for "Topping Events" if that helps anyone.

Couple of things that caught my eye on this hot rod were:

1. nailhead motor
    2. compact radiator
    3. shaped front axle

If anyone can supply any information about the truck I would appreciate it. :)

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you must first offer a substantial reward $$$

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I believe he goes by V8 here on the Hamb.

4. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check out thread #854646 for a neat video of this truck.

5. I saw a video of this truck shortly after completion. He was dropping the hammer on it hard,traction appears to be his only issue!

6. mosimpson

mosimpson

7. haychrishay

haychrishay

Looks like he built a tradtional hot rod "drifter". Its cool !

8. V8

V8

Hey Marc (mosimpson)!

Sorry for the delayed response - my buddy NewGuy1953 just gave me the heads up that you had pm'd me a week or so ago.

To answer your questions, the nailhead is out of a 64' Buick and is the 401.

The radiator I'm running is one that I found at a swapmeet for $20, and I was really worried that it wouldn't get the job done - as it is small and only has 1 core, or "row of cooling fins". It is a very wide single core though (about an inch), and I believe the radiator was built to fit in a 60's Mustang. I have yet to have had an overheating issue so far though, quite the contrary actually - I can hardly manage to get it to warm all the way up. I'll probably put a higher temp thermostat in it this week. I am running an electric fan due to lack of room, but I pretty much never even turn it on. And the fan was just a generic cheep-o from the swapmeet.

My motor is brand new all the way through, which must be why it runs so cool, but I'm not sure??? Maybe a Nailhead guy would know their tendencies better.

And lastly, I built the front axle from a 36' axle and just bent the crap out of it with a torch in a little jig I made. I actually had to use a donor axle to add to the center to keep the original width. I bent it like I did to try and keep my wheelbase and front wheels in a somewhat stock position, and I didn't have enough room to go about it any other way. Hope that helps! I'll look tomorrow to see if I can scrounge up any photos of the axle in progress to post.

9. mosimpson

mosimpson

Thanks for getting back Ian.

What tranny are you running behind the 401? It is a manual right?? Do you have any pics of the inside of the car you could post?

It would be great to see some pic's of the axle during the fab stage. I really like the look of it and it allows for good use of space. I like the suicide axle for lowness but often am put off by the look of the wheel base being extended.

Do you have any pic's of the car with the grill shell missing? Or any pics of the front of the motor you could post up?

Thanks again, and congratulations on a great hot rod!

Marc

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

V8 - very Cool ride

11. V8

V8

Thanks Jalopy Joker!

Mospimpson, I couldn't find my pics of the axle jig I made, but I'll keep looking. Here's a few pics of "in progress" that I was able to find and a few of the inside also:

Attached Files:

12. V8

V8

Oh, and the trans is out of a 69' Camaro - Muncie 4spd.