Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage GNRS Clarification and Moderation...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jan 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

So, when things thaw out, I can still come and see the garage that I dream of???
    FYI, 74 degrees here today. Glad your staying.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  2. If I had $1 for everything I have had deleted here......
    I could probably buy another project
    did a google search for "sub frame graft"
    the HAMB comes up
    10 pages of HAMB info.
    I did a google search instead of a HAMB search because I didnt expect to find the info here
    looks like things were different at one time. Not a complaint, just an observation

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. F&J

F&J

We all have opinions.. mine is that the iron fist came too late. What I mean is that members who came here to see old ways just got tired of the y2k stuff clogging the site...They are ones who left or were driven off like Falcongeorge. (because he was willing to take a stand) A few years ago Gwhite took a hard stand as a new moderator just like Mark...he was driven off too, (apparently).

Yes, I know view counts and web revenue pay a lot of the costs of running a big site like hamb, but which people do we feel should still be here?... "Here" meaning the only traditional rod & kustom site. If there were many trad sites, then maybe it would not seem that important to save it for it's original intent.

The opening verse of the song Natural, by Imagine Dragons:

Will you hold the line When every one of them has given up or given in?
    Tell me
    In this house of mine, Nothing ever comes without a consequence or cost,
    tell me
    Will the stars align?
    'Cause this house of mine stands strong

4. You and me both brother! HRP

VANDENPLAS and anthony myrick like this.
  5. I can not agree more. It's either traditional or it isn't. There has been constant harping by members to be more inclusive, make it an all things automotive site. There are plenty of those, but only one HAMB!
    The harping still persists, every time modern stuff sneaks in, it's a is a give 'em an inch, they want a mile. I hope the site remains focused, sticks to principle, not just popularity. Unfortunately I think the focus does drift and standards are inconsistently applied. This just multiples confusion.
    There is ONLY ONE HAMB! Keep it narrow, focused, not "open minded', not changing with the times. Ryan had a vision that he applied to this site, stay true to that and that alone.
    AND I do miss my pal FalconGeorge! No spindle mounts! LOL
    Again, my two cents.

6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

When I opened up Jalopy Journal this morning, First thing I saw was Ryan's post on the '36 Mr. Poteet had built by a real craftsman. Not to my taste,but an admittedly beautiful car. And after all, it is Poteet's car and his money!
    Read the posts that were in the thread, and considered a reply myself. But since I had some things to do and also wanted to sit on it for awhile before I did reply, At that time I was also unaware of the stirrings of controversy, discontent, and angry posts.
    Got back home and eventually back to HAMB to find this thread, and all the divergent opinions it contains. And I must say that when I turned 16 in 1953, I bought my first car, a '34 Ford 3 wdw coupe, so I think I know what was in use then, and even before, as I read car magazines way before I could legally drive. I also was working in gas stations even before I turned 16 and we stocked and I installed those "corrugated radiator hoses" routinely. They were also in almost universal use on stock car racerss because they could handle more pressure! I could go on and on with this, but enough is enough.
    Mark and I didn't always agree and like my good friend Danny said, I have had posts and thread deleted also. But I respect ALL the moderator's for their efforts to keep us all within the bounds of the intent for this forum as set up by Ryan.

dwollam, loudbang, pitman and 2 others like this.
  7. We all have to remember the Hamb/Jalopy Journal/Ford Barn, etc belongs to Ryan Cochran and he makes the rules, we are allowed to participate and the moderators are given the task to keep the traditional hot rod and custom forum on topic.

It amazes me when some long time members & newbies alike complain about how they think the site should be run and all the things that are wrong about the Hamb and I doesn't cost them one thin dime.

I realize I have stirred the pot when I should have kept my mouth shut and have had numerous threads deleted over the last 16 years, sure it's changed but I believe it's for the better. HRP

dwollam, The37Kid, lumpy 63 and 3 others like this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well . . . here's what it looks like from where I sit.
    HAMB grew so fast that it was difficult to keep the herd of cats inside the lines.
    Ryan put the hammer down when the Hot Rod and Custom forums were separated out, sort of a spring cleaning, could not have made it more clear his intention to keep within the lines. Brought on a bunch of new Mods, just some of the best & brightest the HAMB had to offer. What else could the Boss do?
    Old HAMB had some slippage . . . new HAMB has some slippage. How do you herd cats? I marvel at the job they are doing.

9. buds56

buds56

I would think the moderators job no matter who is doing it would get real old after a long period of time, not with just one instance but a gradual taking alot of BS for quite awhile ( from both sides offenders and the hall monitors) and very little thanks to the point of having enough of it for awhile. It's not a job I would want with a ten ft pole.
    I'm glad Mr Moriarty isn't leaving, enjoy reading your posts

dwollam, The37Kid and Gary Reynolds like this.
  10. Slopok

Slopok

Let's make the "HAMB Great Again"... vote Mark Moriarty for Moderator...Again!

11. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

12. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I still want to be Marks neighbor so I can peek in his garage when he opens it up to air out his collection!

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

does being a jerk come natural or do you work at it?

14. Nope comes natural, and I thought the emoticons would denote that I’m just joking.
    Seems I offended a few folks.
    I’ll delete the post and apologize.
    Also I’m a bigger asshole then a jerk. But I don’t let the internet get me all riled up is all.

15. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

You have to be tough to be from Hamilton. Stay warm and keep the shovel handy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. Mark is a very capable, intelligent and able guy, I'm sure he has plenty to do outside of moderating. I think he was the best the site ever had, but I'm guessing he is more than happy to be free of the constant squabbling here.
    It's not like he's being sent to Devils Island and he DOES have a couple of cool cars and collections to take up the slack!
    But I THANK him for keeping the HAMB in the correct lane. Jeeesh, people hate me and I'm not even a mod! LOL
    HAVE FUN MAN!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

#oldnews

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.