Register now to get rid of these ads!

GNRS Ala Kart Done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hollenbeck32, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Absolutely awsome.

I had an old record that was my mom's... that had the Ala Kart on the cover... I used to dream about that thing.

Followed it's whereabouts in the magazines... and then bam! It's restored!

Awesome man... awesome.

Sam.

2. And if'n you had indexed the wheels, the AMBR trophy might have found it's rightful home.... :D

Fantastic! A beautiful job, and truly made me feel young again remembering it on the cover of Hot Rod.

3. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

You did a outstanding job on it. Something to be very proud of.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

The truck's cool, but the paint job sucks!

Looks KILLER! I'd expect nothing less Darryl.

5. beauishere

beauishere

Man, that's purty.

Awesome job on bring it back. Maybe it'll get the care it deserves this go round.

6. showrod

showrod

I thought the ala kart had twin blue gauges? anyone care to explain?

7. lazyv8

lazyv8

it was shown in 58' with jack stands wrapped in aluminum foil and on a white rug.and in the same configuration as at gnrs.thats why we showed it that way this year... alot of people didnt get it.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. awesom job guys-looks great!!!!!!!

9. Rikster

Rikster

That was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the photos from the show.
    I was so please you guys went for the foil wraping. That was just the icing on the cake.

The rest of the car... I just cant get enough of it. I stared at the photos for a long time and its breath taking. A job extremely well done by a group of people with an amazing amount of talent and ofcoars the right decision of John to have it restored by this team and the way it was done... and not overdone or with a slight modern twist or anything like that.

Thank you (the Ala Kart Team) for bringing it back and to me that was the winner of the GNRS 2008. But then who am I. I can only judge it from the photos I have seen.

10. a lot a people are clueless. i was hopeing that they would "put on the foil". thanks looks killer

11. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Darryl, your dad would be so proud of you. Keep up the good work.
    Mike

12. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Darryl, you are an amazing painter!! The Ala Kart looked great, congrats to everyone who worked on it. The chrome was so shiny I almost had to put my sunglasses on!
    Jimmy White

13. Elrod

Elrod

14. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Darryl,
    Seeing it restored was great! I liked the staging of it as well.
    How often does a AMBR come back for competition after being retired,fired(burned) & neglected and placed in front of a tire shop?
    Gotta say that's a 1st. & the crew did a great job!

15. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Thanks for representing East Bay/ Northern California too! There were so many killer So Cal cars at the GNRS, but the Ala Kart with a stand out by far...

Nice work.

jay

16. I thought the ALA KART had twin blue gauges also? I saw it before it was restored and could have sworn the gauges were stewart warner twin blue.

17. Yes, I saw it too. It had SW blue guages in it. Not sure what it has originally though.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I was thinking the same thing. I have pics of it at whatever show ( SFRC? ) it was at unrestored a few years back and it still had the old SW's.

wassupwitdat? vintage gauges are as far away as your computer and ebay.

still killer to see it done up all shiney and chrome.... but being kind of a vintage gauge nut I notice these things

19. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Denise's pictures are hot! I'm just gonna add a few more for the guys 100's of miles away, stuck in the snow...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Congratulations on the Outstanding Paint award for the Ala Kart. Did you get your Ala Kart tattoo finished?

21. hollenbeck32

hollenbeck32

Yep the Ala Kart Tat is all done

Thanks Again for all the kudos

Darryl

Attached Files:

22. John Denich

John Denich

Hey Darryl are you guys bringing it to SACTO this weekend? I would love to see it again!!!

John

23. hollenbeck32

hollenbeck32

Hey
    No it was booked to be shot for Rodders Journal, so no Sac show. Not sure when it will be shown again. The GNRS was the special place for it.

Darryl

24. Von Franco

Von Franco

Darryl who did the tat.Looks great and I have something special for you soon so you and Terri will have to come to the Round-up to get it lol......................

25. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

good to see it again, it was a strange feeling to think it was 50 years, and its still perfect!

26. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

It was a custom/rod of the future! It was really a fantastic job! just blew us away! I just stood there and took it in, little did we know that in 50 years we would be resurrecting and rebuilding the old styles! Its truly a 'Back to the Future' trip for this old timer.