Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects GMC 248 six banger question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolvato, Mar 4, 2021.

1. coolvato

coolvato

Hello all, I'm in need of some help with my 1954 GMC 248 six. Where can I find a replacement water pump for this engine or will one off of a 235 Chevy interchange? I did find a rebuilt pump but its priced at $300 bucks and I don't want to pay that I'm sure there is a cheaper alternative. I did a search but this topic is a bit limited and a bit outdated. Any info is appreciated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I had a pump for a different engine rebuilt several years ago, it was under $200. Might see if you can find a company that rebuilds them, and send yours in?

http://www.az-rpm.com/wprebuilding.html

for example

3. squirrel

squirrel

looks like they're similar but different...the 235 and 248

235 pump.jpg 248 pump.jpg

4. coolvato

coolvato

Thanks for the info Squirrel yeah I see the difference.

5. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Look in Hemmings Motor News

coolvato likes this.
  6. gas pumper

gas pumper

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

8. I also pulled up several rebuild kits after seeing this earlier today. Not that hard to do.

coolvato likes this.
  9. Have you used that site to actually buy anything? Just curious.

I was looking at it the other night and thought the Name/Email/Phone boxes to purchase were very odd. Some parts had no price listed. I did some searching on Facebook and then Google, and found lots of references to the site somehow being a scam site. The one post on Facebook about it was supposed to be from a legit seller of Daytona/Superbird parts who claimed the 2040 site had lifted some of their photos and cautioned everyone that they (2040) don't actually have the parts. I did recognize some of the photos of Fenton Chevy six intakes from an eBay store.

If you have experience with them, I'm all ears- They do have some cool shit there. I just got a weird vibe from the site that was backed up by lots of other posts in various places online.

coolvato likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

I've always assumed that 2040 is just a site that reposts other's content, so I use it only to find pictures of obscure stuff that probably is not really available.

ebs121781 likes this.
  11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've found "Rock Auto" has a lot of old parts; you might try them.

coolvato likes this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

Unfortunately they only have parts that are being made, or were made sort of recently...and it's been a while since those pumps were a regularly available rebuilt item.

13. Turns out I have a WS78 kit in my barn if neither of the above work out for you. Dave

14. 2040 is a scam site mentioned on the Jalopy Journal a few times already.

ebs121781 likes this.
  15. Truckedup

Truckedup

Summit Racing claims thay can get you one in a few weeks, but thats a chevy pump in the photo ? I belive the prewar Chevy 216 pump looks like a GMC pump?
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...KwRBR-DnCSedxJ2pQoGwK4DrRU6qX5tAaAko7EALw_wcB
    Be aware there are several different belt widths..I have rebuilt several GMC and Chevy pumps.. the machined area of the casting that the seal rides on gets corroded on some pumps. That might mean a trip to a machine shop if you dont have the equipment to to it..

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    coolvato and Tman like this.
  16. KenC

KenC

I've had good luck with my local Oreillys using the R&R service with their rebuilder. Not with a GMC but some odd imported tractors and such. Won't hurt to ask, and I suspect most good parts stores have a similar service. And, by that I mean, not AutoZone.

coolvato likes this.
  17. Try N.B. Pease & Co. Palmer, Mass. 1-413-283-7620. Nelson has an antique auto supply business that specializes in mechanical parts.

coolvato likes this.
  18. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The '37 - '40 216 Chev pump was a standard item required for the GMC - Chev swap in the late '40s - early '50s. It works great IF you have the 7/8'' pulley harmonic balancer.

coolvato likes this.
  19. coolvato likes this.
  20. I did find one by searching today for $99.00 but I know it's a scam. I forget some of the original names of the website maattrramo.com but I do remember these distinct features, price about a 1/3 of anyone else and free shipping for any order over $40.00. The site was registered on Feb 10, 2021 and they list 100's of thousands of products they sell. They actually sell nothing. They will stiff a few thousand people and then change their name again. So buyer beware! Dave

coolvato likes this.
  21. Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  22. For rebuilding, try Terrill machine in DeLeon, TX. 254-893-2610.

Ben

coolvato likes this.