Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMBs - Detroit HAMB Chop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stickylifter, Sep 26, 2005.

1. stickylifter

stickylifter
    from Detroit

I'm going to chop my '50 Fleetline. Would anyone be interested in helping to make it a HAMB chop? I know there are more than a couple HAMBers out there that have fleetlines and would like to see one chopped, so of course I'll document the whole thing and do a big post. I'm thinking of the weekend before Halloween (Oct. 22nd/23rd) or the weekend after (Nov 5th/6th). I'm leaning toward the 5th/6th of November because it'll give me more time to get all the necessary supplies together.

I've never done a chop, but I've read Tex Smith's book, and done a lot of research here on the HAMB, so I know where I want to cut it. I'm going to do it like Mark X did the Gas Monkey Fleetline. However, I'll be the first to admit that I need the wisdom of those of you out there that have done a chop before. I'm not looking for someone to do my dirtywork, just someone to lend their knowledge. Of course, I'll hook up the BBQ and beer. For those of you that don't know me, I'm sure that there are a couple of GMBs that can vouch for me.

So how 'bout it? Anyone in for HAMB chop?

Thanks,

~Marc (a.k.a. Stinkyfinger)

2. 62 wagon

62 wagon
    from DETROIT

You know i'll be ther As for this guy stinky finger/yoko he is like fonzie kooooooool

3. ok, I'll come supervise, give advise, and lend my vast knowlage in general :D

Actually it sounds like fun. The Nov dates sound good too. Let me know if you are gonna need any other tools, like cut off wheels, grinders or air saws ect. Hell I'll bring my tig welder too :D

Will the band play during breaks just like on monster garage :D

4. This brother from the north would be interested in joining the fun.........I'll bring the "good beer".....:)......plus possible afew more hands.

5. atch

atch

damn, boy; you got big hangie downies. could you have found a harder car for a first chop?

i can't think of many harder than 1) any fleetline or 2) any 2-dr ford sedan from '39 to '48.

i ain't sayin' this to scare you off. and i ain't sayin' this 'cause i think i'm any kind of expert (i already know i'm NOT; y'all don't have to remind me). i've been involved with two chops; clarence (my '48 ford panel truck) and a shoebox ford. i don't think that either one of these even comes close to starting to be as hard as a fleetline would/will be.

the roof curve just looks like a bitch to cut and then get back together lookin "right". the gas monkey fleetline looks like it turned out "right". i say looks like it did, but i've only seen pix; never seen the car in person. sometimes pix make a car look better than it really is and sometimes a pic can't capture how good something really is. i've got a feeling the gas monkey fleetline is one of the 2nd kind. are any of those guys gonna be there to help lay this one out?

good luck. if i were closer i'd like to be there.

i'm anxious to see the pix of where to cut one of those to get the roof line to look right afterwards.

6. Here's an idea - get someone to video the whole thing, cursing, beer, tool tossing and all. Edit it to a watchable length and sell the DVD's "How To (or Maybe Not) Chop A Fleetline" We can all learn from your triumph or tragedy. (I'm rooting for triumph)

7. jdubbya

jdubbya

Now don't go getting your tarantulas all in a twist, I will attempt to be there, and I will try to get some other Flintown hoodlums to come along. I am a good for drinking your beer, and supervising, and I have been known to weld a thing or two. I am a state certified JB welder, and I have a few trowels for the filler.:D
    Keep us posted on the date. -Joe

8. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

ill come and bring my chevy so we know what 'not to do":rolleyes: ;) :D

9. rattlecanrods

rattlecanrods

Count me in... So far both weekends are open. I can lend some tools and manpower to the situation, but not a lot of chopping experience.

Keep us posted.

This would be a great way to kick off the winter building season....

10. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

I have never done body work on anything other than a dump truck, but if you supply some Mountain Dew, and shoot for the Nov date, I should be able to come down. (provided it's financially feasible to take a weekend off of work at that time!:eek: )

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'm down for it. just remind me when it gets closer to the chosen weekend so i don't forget. cause i WILL.

kustombuilder@yahoo.com

Mike

12. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Count me in also, either weekend but the Nov. date would be better. I can weld and grind. "Aint to smart but I can lift heavy things":p
    And since I got a chebby I sure would like to see it done!

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

O.k. Mark talked me into it.

14. I hope you have a big enough garage :eek:

Sounds like we have alot of eager volunteers.

15. stickylifter

stickylifter
    from Detroit

This is kick ass! Thanks for offering to help out. Sounds like November 5th and 6th are the days.

roadstar - soooooo glad to have you on board. I was keeping my fingers crossed! I have a sawsall, 2 diegrinders, a cutoff wheel, and an angle grinder. I'm sure we could use all the tools we can get. I have a 33 gallon 6.4 SCFM @90 PSI craftsman compressor... it can sorta keep up, but it's not the greatest. But it's all i got. I have a Lincoln SP135 MIG welder, set up for gas. it's a 110volt.

I need to get a shopping list together. Here's what I can think of:

Rolock sanding discs (what size? I hear 3M is a good brand. anyone got a hookup?)
    plenty of cut off wheels (what size/brand?)
    3/4" square tubing for the interior braces
    18ga (20? 22?) hot rolled steel

painkiller - I'm in Oak Park, around 11 and Coolidge.

DIRTYT, 62 wagon, jdubbya, rattlecanrods, Hot Rod To Hell, kustombuilder - much love, yous guys are the ginchyest!

I'm going to post some pics of the chop method.

I'm soooo stoked!

16. stickylifter

stickylifter
    from Detroit

Here's some pictures of how to chop one of these....
    This method saves you the task of sectioning the hell out of the trunk, and best of all you don't have to messs with the rear window, and you don't mess with the curve of the roof.

This guy has a great site, he's a HAMBer, and I think his handle is 50Chevy (not sure) but you can see the cuts in these photos:
    http://50chevy.com/photos/choptops

Another HAMBers chopped fleetline:

Attached Files:

17. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

piece-o-cake. should be easier than Donzie's 50 Chev sedan.

Attached Files:

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Oh crap! This could take a while.

19. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

ok, i'm gonna need someone to pull the lever while i shove Pete's head in the TOILET!!! i'll make sure someone drops a big stinky in there first!! ...now where is the middle finger smily???

20. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Wow!
    Excellent Photoshop Mike!;)

21. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

That is gonna kick ass, wish I wasnt so far away.

Yeap I am on the HAMB.

Marc, I think you sent this link to me.

Blown348 also did a great job on his fleetline chop.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v335/blown348/project50/

I wanna go the same route on my 50 fleetline.

Leave the trunk alone and sections around the trunk leaving the rear glass alone.

Few things possible issues, I have been thinking about the markX style chop.

On a '49-50, Looks like there may be issues where the tailights sit, when the area under the trunk is sectioned.

How will you accomodate the rear latch for the trunk? Since the area under the trunk is sectioned looks like the latch will have to be moved refabricated to work.

When I saw the markx fleetline at Sf rod and custom show I asked if there is anything they would have done different.

The guy I spoke to stated they did not tack weld the trunk when they did the chop and that caused the sheet metal to move more than they liked.

SO seems like tack welding the trunk shut may help stiffen the rear.

Good luck on the chop, looks like you got some talented people helping out.

Please do post pics and any other tips.

Kustombuilder that is some awesome sheet metal work you did on donzie's chop.

Hope this helps.

22. stickylifter

stickylifter
    from Detroit

Hmmm.... I don'tknow what I'll do about the trunk latch. I'll definately tack it shut though, thanks for the tip.

Taillights I can figure something out for. I didn't notice that, good catch. Maybe some round Pontiac lights? I always thought they'd look good. Or maybe those ones they put on 50 Buicks. Either way, move them out to the fender. The pictures I have are 51/52, so the lights are already out there and that detail was lost on me. maybe Blown348 can weigh in and show us what he did as he has a 49/50.

I think the MarkX method is going to be easier than blown348's method becuase you don't have to do as much piecutting. Both ways look good. I have seen them chopped without touching the trunk as well (see pic of black car below). You get a more "humpy" look.

I photoshopped blown348's car with a copper color paint job... :)

Attached Files:

23. Inspiration.

Attached Files:

24. Pete...........I'll bring some of that Waterloo Dark Ale you liked plus some bondo and sand paper! :)

25. Bryan don't be so hard on yourself............ the car looks real good at night! :)

26. RacerRick

RacerRick

If its Nov. I can probally help. I want to see how the chop is done since these fleetlines do look like they would be a huge PITA to chop.

Are you going to pull the rear end and everything before the chop?

Anyone want to work on a carpool down there? I am coming from toronto, and will be going through Sarnia/ Port Huron.

27. stickylifter

stickylifter
    from Detroit

TMan, that car is BADD!

Not sure what you mean. I wan't planning on it because HAMB chop guidelines state it must be a running driving car. And what if we run out of hot dogs? How will we get to the store ? :)

I do plan to bag it inthe future though.

28. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Tman that is bad-ass, please tell us more

noproblem, lemme know if that is an issue and what you come up with. I will do the same.

I think pontiac lights would look good. Or some retangular ones frenched into the same area as a 51-52. Pic here

Another idea is to adapt 53/43 tailight housing to give the apparance of stretched fenders. Pic here

From pictures I agree. I also really like the look of the deep rear fenders by sectioning under the trunk.

Not sure, but I think the markx chop was done without cutting the trunk??

Dunno if this helps, but here is an image of the body seams on a fleetline
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=123196&stc=1

Attached Files:

29. stickylifter

stickylifter
    from Detroit

Nice! You have got some great ideas. But on a 51/52, the rear of the fender is vertical, whereas on a 49/50 it slants toward the front, so I don't know... I want something stock looking though, like that. maybe I should just try to score some 51/52 bezels. I know they re-pop them somewhere.

Nah, too droopy.

YEAH! That's what these fleetlines need is fenders instead of whale tails.

I'm pretty sure he just moved the lid up and down and then fabricated that area between the trunk and fenders back in. That guy is sick!

here's a photochop with about a 3-4 inch drop. I think Mark X went 5 front/6 rear....

Attached Files:

30. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

That car looks invisible at night. If it wasn't for the sparks you wouldn't even know it was there.

I can't really be much help with this chop, but if you're all hanging out around a Fleetline with Sawzalls and beer, I might just have to stop in, especially since it's like 2 miles from my house.