Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM2004R installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Studegator, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Studegator

Studegator

I have a 2004R that came out of an 86 Monte Carlo that I am getting up the nerve to rebuild myself just for the experience. I want to install it into a 53 Hudson that presently has a hydramatic so it will have overdrive. This Hudson has the original 262 with Twin H. I have a running 308 with Twin H I might install.
    How do you guys hook up the tv cable on cars that had none?

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

All you need to do is figure this diagram out and make your own levers or buy a base plate that sits on your intake manifold under your carby.
    They can be had from Bowtie in CA.
    They are a great short cut but once you have seen and used one then time you would make your own IMHO.
    My only caveat on the above comments is that I am assuming the T200 and T700 Tele cable is the same. All my setting up has been done on T700's.
    Don't let it scary they are pretty simple to do...

Attached Files:

David Gersic and Algoma56 like this.
  3. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Not only simple but a reliable trans too but I suggest not hooking up the torque convertor lock-up. The 4th gear is already high enough and I have run this way for many years and miles and like it better without the lock-up. I also run a separated trans cooler and I used Bowtie's cable and carb mounting system as I have three deuces with 2Jet carbs. My rear end is a 3:36 ratio, and I get great gas mileage compared to the old Turbo 400.

4. squirrel

squirrel

whether or not you'd want to use lockup might depend on the rear gear ratio....I think that's the main reason they have lockup in the first place, because they were running rear gears in the late 70s-80s that would make the converter slip quite a bit. If you're running gears that were more typical in a 50s car, like mid to high 3s, then lockup isn't really necessary.

afaik, the engine end of the TV cable is the same on the 200 and 700 transmissions

fiftyv8 and BJR like this.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If you run "without" a lockup converter, be sure to run a WELL designed fluid cooler. NOT one of those round tube, back and forth types that have been around since cars first got here.

Most flat tube coolers work well enough. Something around 7" or 8" x 12"w would be a good choice.
    I put an - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13403
    In my non-lockup T-200.

Mike

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    ClayMart, gimpyshotrods and BJR like this.
  6. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

We use one with a 2.95 gear and no lockup. Works great.

7. mohead1

mohead1

So my hot rod is running a 4.30 gear w 28-29" tires, a locked up converter in 4th would be desirable? Im in the planning stage to take out the built T350 and put in a bullet proof 200R4....in the 575 hp range

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. I have a fresh 700r4 in stock, but I am hesitating using it to replace the TH400 because of the 3.08 rear end gear. So y'all are saying if I don't use a lock up convertor, it'll be fine? Down the road I'd love to upgrade to a 3.73, but for now it'll be ok with the 3.08? Sorry to hijack with my question.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My understanding is the taller your gear ratio, the more your transmission will build up heat if the lockup converter isn't setup to work. Considering how cheap and easy it is to wire up and make the lockup work, I'm puzzled why anybody would decide not to use it?

bobkatrods, Hnstray, ClayMart and 5 others like this.
  10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

IMHO, not hooking up the lock out is a cop out.
    Why not hook it up and then choose to use it if required depending on driving conditions.
    Obviously diff ratio will influence that choice...

XXL__, gimpyshotrods and Dan Hay like this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wire the lockup. Put in a disable switch. If you don't like it, turn off.

When you get sick of the tall gears with the overdrive, switch the gears, and turn the lockup back on.

Install a big cooler. Leaving the converter unlocked, as mentioned, generates more heat. Excess heat, more than anything else, kills automatic transmissions.

Hnstray and ClayMart like this.
  12. grumpy65

grumpy65

Lockup wired to engage in 4th gear only, and with a manifold vacuum switch so it only operates at stable vacuum. This way it locks in overdrive at cruising speed, bit will unlock on acceleration or kickdown to 3rd. Works good.
    A manual on/off dash switch is a good safety feature. I also use a green 'on' light to show when the converter clutch is engaged. This will show any failure in the electric lockup system.

13. Budget36

Budget36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OT car with OT induction, but 2.77’s w/700R4 and 245-50-16 tires. I recently pulled the engine and transmission at 160k miles, no tranny issues at all. No external cooler, just through the radiator

I’d run the lock up, I recall info about using the 4th gear solenoid? Or whatever, with some delay thing on it, to only lock it in OD.

Oh, think it was the 4th gear pressure switch.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  14. grumpy65

grumpy65

The vacuum switch does the 'delay' job. Install an adjustable switch and you can dial it in for your application.
    Mine also has an electronic rev switch and an engine temp switch in the system. It can operate with the same lockup parameters as the original computer control. Overkill, I know, but I like a challenge.
    While my setup works well, it is not all needed. I recommend that simple is better (and much, much easier).;)

What I will stress is that PROPER TV CABLE ADJUSTMENT IS CRITICAL !!!

fiftyv8 and Budget36 like this.
  15. grumpy65

grumpy65

16. 55blacktie

55blacktie

It sounds like you will want a torque converter/w stall speed higher than stock for your combination. I'm not aware of a lock-up converter/w higher-than-stock stall speed.

17. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

In my opinion, put the T-700-R4 in a corner somewhere for safe keeping.
    The T-200-4R has MUCH better gear ratios, is lighter, is smaller, and can be built to handle as much if not more H.P. than a T-700 can.
    I've got a friend that can build a T-200-4R to hold over 1000Hp in the first three gears. Add a trans. brake if you like.
    http://www.scottmcclayengineering.com/

I had a T-700-R4 in a Chevy II years back. Hated it. Luckily it was a manual trans., I hardly ever used first gear, except "sometimes", getting on the freeway. To me that trans. is a good two speed...with overdrive.
    At the time, no one had a GOOD T-200-4R yet, or I would have put one in. My friend Scott (above) was the main pioneer of making the T-200 (three spd version) handle the power. Then the guys back east copied his stuff. Now there is three or four places to get good T-200's done.
    The original "Art Carr" (SoCal) is another good builder if you need one done.

Mike

bchctybob, Johnny Gee and fiftyv8 like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many out there for 700’s, should be available for the 200

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I like those aluminium convertor covers that come with the TH200's

20. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try this:

1) get the June 2019 Hot Rod Magazine and look over the info they have about using such transmissions in a variety of applications. It includes info, about some simple internal mods you might be interested in.

2) check this URL out for info about the critical TV cable adjustments.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p7.html

You’re there.

John

Studegator likes this.
  21. 55blacktie

55blacktie

The 2004R, not the 700R4, was used in the GNX. Buick must have had a good reason. The 700R4 has a lower 1st, but wider gap to 2nd.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That 2004R was heavily modified.

23. squirrel

squirrel

the 7004R was never made with a Buick bolt pattern case, so they never used it in the GNX. The 200-4R had the multi bolt pattern case.

24. Studegator

Studegator

I just want to think everyone for all the advice and tips for this project! I have a June 2019 Hot Rod mag coming and have looked at and bookmarked the recommended sites.

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My car came to me with 3:25 gears & 29” tires mated to the 700R. I felt the engine was lugging around town with this combination. A few “experts” even went so far as saying to run around town in 3rd and use OD on the highway.:confused:
    I might have overthought it a bit but I changed the rear gears to 3:70’s and never looked back as with the 350/290 cruising now is in the “sweet spot” and the performance through the gears is great. Works for me.:)

Dan Hay, lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  26. Studegator

Studegator

I have the June 2019 Hot Rod mag in hand and there is a good article on the TV cable
    variants and how to adjust them.
    It looks like all address the cable running to a carb setting on a V8 manifold.
    My quandary is how to adapt it to an inline six that has dual carbs setting off to the passenger side
    and has the pedal linkage running across the head over to the carbs.
    https://bangshift.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Hudson.jpg
    [​IMG]

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use a main switch on mine just because. It stays on all the time, as no reason to turn it off ever. I also use 4th gear lockup, but use a Superior hydraulic pressure switch, which closes when the transmission pressure rises and unlocks as you decelerate, or rpm's/pressure drops. It's extremely simple, and works great.

28. Studegator

Studegator

I am wondering why you could not make a tv cable bracket that would fit/be part of the gas pedal linkage instead of at the carburetor.
    As long as the cable is moving in the proper arc and distance to operate the trans properly?
    What am I missing?

Hnstray likes this.
  29. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doesn't sound easier to making one that works at the carburetor.