Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods GM wood kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 33 cdan man, Feb 26, 2018.

1. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I am looking for suggestions regarding A pillar wood for my 32 Olds 4 door. I don't know if other GM stuff ( Buick, Cad, Pont, Chevy) may work. I am hoping to find someone with patterns as I am not comfortable sending my originals across country for patterns. If they get lost then I'm screwed. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Pat

2. how bad are the ones you have? can you just make it yourself?
    any photos?

3. 33 cdan man

33 cdan man

I don't have the tools needed for this. I have been trying to find someone local to do them. I had a really good woodworker friend that could have done them, however, by the time I got to this project he had passed. He was 90.

4. carryallman

carryallman

i made some of mine ! my scrap pile was huge ! BUT i preveiled& they look nice -i was lucky mine was soft BUT VERY EASY TO COPY just buy some wood working tools -joiner.band saw & a router & practice !or maybe look for a local "wood workers " club -lots of skilled retired folks there -looking for some pocket money ??

5. scotts52

scotts52

Can you make a cast of them to send out for the pattern?

6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a kit for a 36 Buick 3 window in the early 90s , David Entler , from Pennsylvania..picked it up at the Englishtown car show..pricey. But fit like a glove. don't know if he's still around...

7. scotts52

scotts52

Not to hijack this thread but if anyone has any patterns for a 29 GMC truck I'd sure love to use them. They're different than Chevy. I'm not well versed in trying to put something together with steel tubing. Now if I had the wood to use as a pattern I could replicate it in steel.

8. Scotto, if you have the tin, you have the needed patterns. just get the outer sheet metal in line, you may have to tack a couple braces in, then trace out the outer shape of the cowl . remember the wood does not have to fit it like a glove. on the jamb side it is probably dead straight, and there should be cut outs for the hinges. try making one with a pine 2x4 first, cuts and shapes easy, if you trim it too much just hot glue a piece or pieces in, when your done you will have a template.
    i did the chassis work for a 37 studebaker woody for a master wood worker. he built the custom body first just hot gluing a bunch of pine together. once he got the shape and dimensions, he remade them in hard wood.

RICH B likes this.
  9. 31 B'ville

31 B'ville
    from SE Pa
    1. All Things Pontiac

For wood parts you might try Jim Rodman at autowood.net. I bought a complete wood kit from him for my 1931 Pontiac but he would also sell individual pieces, whatever you may need. He specializes in Chevy wood but it also fits many other GM cars.

10. Contact a high school wood shop.See if they can help.

11. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

I do this stuff all the time!
    Send me the originals and I can duplicate them in any wood species.

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

High school wood shop....do they still exist....