Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM VIN decoding hotline...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrolla2k3, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

I spoke with a oldschool restorer this weekend at my shop, and he reminded me that there was a "hotline" that GM provided for restorers to get all the information pertaining to their car. I had the number at one point, but lost it. Anyone have it, and a decsription of what they provide you with? According to him its free and very thorough.

Thanks
    Jaison

2. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

3. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

From what I remember and what the 'ol guy told me this service is free, but is not online. Theres a 800 number you call with your vin # and its through GM directly. Somebody knows, just a matter of time! :D

Jaison

4. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

I'd love to know that. I was about to fork over 50 bucks for information i could possibly get for free!

5. BOHICA

BOHICA

Not sure I know where to find it, but yes, there was a number you could call and GM was supposed to send you a bunch of information on your vehicle. I called them several years ago, but never received anything. :(

6. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

I literally had the link to the number saved like 5 days ago, but my 'puter took a poop and I lost everything. Silly me. Old guy said he got his less than a year ago. Hopefully its still up and running... Bump for the answer!

Jaison

7. BOHICA

BOHICA

Yeah, I'm searching, but not sure I can find it. Grrrr search engines have been ruined in the last few years. Used to be able to find what you wanted, but now it's mostly junk.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

i think i found what your looking for. i heard about this years ago and did request the info from GM about my vin# and what ever else they could give me. what i recived was a booklet "compiled to assist owners of past model Cherolets in obtaining information, parts and accessories which no longer are available through your local dealers" (intro to the booklet). extremely large listing of shops and parts suppliers.
    They also sent me, since i have a 56 chevy, the "Chevrolet 1956 Specification" sheets as prepared by the chevrolet engineering product information department. These sheets, or booklet has all the specifications you could ever dream of knowing about the car. measurements of everything and specs, breakdowns.

the page in the hobby book, shows an address,
    Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center
    P.O.Box 7047
    Troy, MI 48007

Then I did a google maps search and found the the Gm customer support center adress and phone number

General Motors Corp: Customer Assistance Center -<nobr></nobr>
    5505 Corporate Dr, Troy, MI
    (800) 222-1020

hope this helps.
    Dave

10. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

That looks like the stuff! Thanks Juggalo, knew it was just a matter of time before someone would remember!

Jaion

11. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

That number is GM customer serivice for parts/ service and road side assistants and thing like that

12. jrolla2k3

jrolla2k3

The search continues.........

13. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

It told me to call back during business hours i dont knw maybe it some one talks to a person and not a machine they can get one of us a number. im really interested in this

14. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

i think if you call that number they will atleast know where to send you. like i said the mailing adress seams to be in the same town of Troy as the assistance center. thats where the publication was from. so they should be able to give you some type of information. not 100&#37; sure since it has been about 10 years since i recived this info and i dont remember as to where i got the phone number from and what i had to go through to get all this stuff. good luck and keep us updated.
    Dave

15. WQ59B

WQ59B

I have mailed to GM years past and they sent general info, not VIN specific. One nice thing tho- they would include an 8x10 glossy of the factory pic of your car (this was for my '64 GP).
    But Pontiac, for instance, sold all their records to Pontiac Historical Services years ago- they have '61 and later VIN-specific info. Pontiac records earlier than '61 are gone, as are most other divisions' paperwork (Cadillac- a known exception) once you get past the '60s, if not the '70s.
    Good luck.

16. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

tis true. the info that they will send wont be Vin specific, but it will tell you everything about what the Vin can tell, such as where, when, and what kind of vehicle, and posibly what engine. the only way to know for sure what all came on the car is the build sheet and the RPO numbers that went along with it, most time those are long gone. the info book also has the trim tag info and how to read it and what info that tag gives which will show specifics to that car as long as it is still on the car.

17. WQ59B

WQ59B

Yeah- but GM VINs don't tell you when/engine, etc. You get make/model/bodystyle, assembly plant, and sequential serial number from a VIN; nuttin else. Data plate can only tell you ext/int color scheme/upholstery, and option codes IF that plant used them here... and those are different from the RPO codes.

I'll take an educated crack at dechipering whatever numbers you have if you post them, jrolla, I'm a long-time number-cruncher ...

18. you might try these sites www.chevytalk.com or www.stovebolt.com seem to remember something about something called a "service pack" that you could get for restoring your vehicle good luck.

19. dbradley

dbradley

This link has the info............. I did this for a Chevelle I restored. Was "general" information but some was helpful. Not as detailed as you might think. But, it was free. The only "real" detailed info on Chevelles is on the ones sold or mfg in Canada. All the US built/sold Chevelle records were "lost" is the story but the Canadian ones are still around and available. That service does cost a few bucks though.http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/GMRestoPak.htm

20. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Called the number today got a realy nice lady on the phone and she knew what i was talking about i was so suprised its call a Restoration Package... I got one for my 50 but they didnt have it just for 50 so i got from 1913-1979... i gives alot of info from what the lady said all the options, trim, color, interior, brake drive train ,h.p on and on...she said it will take 2-4 weeks to get it..plus its free you cant beat that...you just need a VIN number... they also ask how many miles is on your vehicle i thought about tellin her a million or zero haha ....thanks for the number and stuff guys

21. Juggalo56

Juggalo56

nice....anything you can get from GM for free is good to get. they may have changed things but hopefuly what ever they send you is a good reference for something and worth the money you're not paying for it for it.
    Dave

22. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

i got it in 2 or 3 day its full of info pretty neat stuff that i didnt knw its worth having

23. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

For those trying to find other GM makes than Chevy, I just spent 10 minutes on the phone with Cadillac for my '40. The guy on the other hand was a little hard to understand, but was very nice (got a little double-take out of him when I told him the year!). He told me to call either of the following numbers:

GM Heritage Center
    586-276-0693
    586-276-0692

He said they may be able to give me information like what originally came with the car and more.