Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM Turn signal wiring issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by martinautobody1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Hey, I put a 1950 Buick on a 94 roadmaster chassis. Im putting 59 cadillac taillights in (one per side) and need to eliminate one bulb socket on each side (from the 94 roadmaster harness). Problem is, when you cut a socket out, the turn signals will not flash any longer, which is a standard "bulb is out" reaction. How do I remove one socket on each side, and have the new single configuration work? I removed the entire tail light harness at the plug, and the turn signals will not even flash a test light, just a solid light.

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

You use either a "universal" flasher, or one that will "flash 2 32 cp. lamps". Most flashers were made to operate a certain number of lamps, which , by design, would tell you there was a "lamp out".

4TTRUK

3. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ps; Keep us posted on your project,...It sounds like you have a lot into it !!!

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

4. you could leave the extra socket/bulb and hide it inside the trunk

5. squirrel

squirrel

put the extra bulb inside the trunk.

edit--great lazy minds think alike?

6. cseay1949

cseay1949
    BANNED
    from Elkwood VA

I ran into the same problem when I went to LED lights .. basically same problem, not enough circuit load to fire a thermal flasher .. my solution was to use an electronic flasher with an external ground wire Grote number 44891 which I picked up at Carquest. Some folks use a resistor to simulate a load, but then you have something developing heat where it probably shouldn't in your wiring harness!

Also, check and make sure you still have all proper grounds, and something wasn't wired in series that got cut out and is no longer there.

7. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

i will look into the flasher. I DID think about leaving an extra socket in the trunk... I thought there was a better way to do this.

8. martinautobody1

martinautobody1
    from Ohio

Ok, it is the flasher. I have the car signals working well. Old school flashers blink no matter what, and newer ones sense the actual current passing through the bulbs, so if one is missing, no flashing! Thanks, guys