Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM style headlight switch blues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big hugh ness, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Hi guys.
    Can someone advise whether I have lost my marbles or not.
    I've fitted a GM style headlight switch to my Rebel Wire harness, and am trying to get the bastard dome light to work. If you are familiar with the GM switch, it has a dome connector on the switch.
    Well, I bought a bought a Mid Fifty dome light wiring kit for my 54 F100 and connected it all up. Everything seems fine, excepting that it doesn't work. Now, I ran a test light on the gm style headlight terminal for the dome light and no power. Everything else works fine, but the dome terminal is dead. Makes no difference if I put headlights on, turn on accessories etc. Everything else works, but this dome light terminal has no power going to it.
    Am I missing something guys, or do you reckon I have a dud headlight switch???
    Is it supposed to have power?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. R Pope

R Pope

GM cars that the dome light comes on when the door opens, ground the circuit through the door switches and the headlight switch. Check to see if the "dome" terminal on your switch grounds when you turn it to the dome position.

3. 50FleetlineSS396

50FleetlineSS396
    from san diego

Pope is exactly right; this is how it is on my 50. The dome light has a small slide switch for constant on. If you want this function just wire it hot(hopefully through a fuse). Good Luck 50Fl

4. cryobug

cryobug

Pope is right. You should have a hot wire to the light and the headlight switch will make the ground for the light when it is turned full left.

5. The post for the dome light on a GM switch is a ground. Wire the light hot then run the ground wire from the light to the dome terminal on the switch, which is a ground. When you turn the knob it grounds the circuit and the light comes on. I just put a Rebel 9+3 harness in my roadster last winter, make sure you wire the hot wire to a constant hot at the panel so you can turn on the dome with the ign. off.

6. Ok, thanks fellas. Makes sense now. D'oh! How can something so simple confuse me so easily? Hey, don't answer that! :)

7. srs1

srs1

make sure you ground the switch when you try it, or you will still be pulling your hair out