Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racerboy79, Apr 15, 2012.

  1. I have a small block chevy starter and a ballast wire that the instructions say to connect to one pole on the starter. Any body know which one and the reason for that particular pole? THANKS IN ADVANCE!
  2. coupster
    Joined: May 9, 2006
    Posts: 860

    from Oscoda Mi

    Outbord small stud, gives full voltage to the coil for starting.
  3. squirrel
    Joined: Sep 23, 2004
    Posts: 47,133


    the one marked R for resistor...the other one is marked S for start or something.
  4. Correct. Small terminal closest to block is marked S, this wire comes from the starter terminal on the ignition switch and is hot when the key is turned to start. This engages the solenoid. The small terminal on the outside is marked I for ignition, wire goes from this terminal to + terminal on coil. Feeds full voltage to coil when starter is engaged and sucking lots of amps.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.