Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM ST300 leaking switch thingy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Nov 13, 2019.

1. I've got a GM super turbine 300 in a car that came in and its leaking pretty good from a little single wire switch/solenoid thingy on the left side of the case. Anyone know the technical name for that piece so i can start looking for it? thanks.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Downshift Solenoid Terminal
    Are you sure it's not just the O ring on it?

3. It probably is, but i'm just covering my bases. If it has some kind of oddball o-ring, at least i can call my local and see if they have an application specific piece.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Pretty sure you can find a new one on that auction site we all know and love. Should be the same as a TH-400 I would think (???). They also deal in the two terminal ones used with the switch pitch units. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. I might have what you need as I have several different ones. I have some on EBay now. They vary by the length and color of the wire along with different connections and also have two different ways that they mount. Do you have a picture of yours?

6. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

You’l have to pull the pan to remove it to change the o-ring. Good idea to have a replacement handy cause the plastic ears that hold it in can break off if it’s old and brittle.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I think he needs the case connector, not the solenoid itself.

https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/connector-400-1-prong-1968-up/

or many other places.

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a O-ring around the connector. As already mentioned above the clips on the plastic connector get brittle after all these years... Mine broke and I had the car on stands blocking my garage for the 10days it took to get one from the US. Better have a spare one, just in case...

9. squirrel

squirrel

The O ring usually is the cause of a big leak, but the plastic shrinks over time, and they can develop a seep from between the metal terminal, and the plastic. The plastic tabs usually break off after they get to be 15-20 years old. 50+ years is really pushing it.