Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM splined steering wheel to 3/4 shaft?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Andy65, Jan 13, 2024.

1. Andy65

Andy65

Hello- Just picked up a 40 ford steering wheel that is made for a GM splined IDIDIT style column- My model A has a F-1 style steering shaft/gearbox now. Does anyone know where i can find just a stub shaft of a GM steering column shaft(where the steering wheel bolts on) so i can weld it to my 3/4 F-1 pickup shaft to mate the two together? Ive looked on speedway and summit with no luck so far. or maybe another solution?

2. 34Phil

34Phil

Borgeson

olscrounger and nochop like this.
  3. nobby

nobby

hello
    some 40 aftermarket wheels are dual fitment
    i.e. they have the chevrolet spline count and a slot for a woodfruff key
    which begs the quiestion
    does the wedge mating splinage of a chevy splined shaft replicate the taper of a early ford
    if so
    could you not file a slot into your wheel

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gott to be easy enough to harvest the required stub from a scrap gm column? Or are they hens teeth now? Might later models fit? If you're doing the weld job route it'll need some lathe work first to ensure alignment and weld penetration, imo.

Chris

Hnstray, 1oldtimer and seb fontana like this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I bought a 40 wheel for my 40 and it had a changeable center for either a tapered and keyed shaft or a splined shaft.

seb fontana likes this.
  6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If you knew someone with a lathe , I would have the shaft cut , pinned , same with the stub of the new shaft . Weld it all back together and it’s as good as it was new , just a different spline or keyed shaft

alanp561 likes this.
  7. Both ford and GM are 3/4 diameter, you could just swap shafts but of course you'd have to convert the lower to your f1 box.

dirt t likes this.
  8. Speccie

Speccie

Andy65, I am in the same boat...I was thinking about using one of these upper steering shafts from GM and grafting it to my steering column. 1b7fd11ddfa234aa9006db700ce3cb0e.jpg

Andy65 likes this.
  9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Just saw a Vintique 17 inch 40 wheel with horn button for the tapered shaft for $160. Ad said only used for setup.

seb fontana likes this.
  10. Andy65

Andy65

the wheel I have is a Vintique 15" wheel- the center is made for a GM tilt column- So I'm thinking my easiest route is to source a GM shaft that I can weld to my F-1 shaft being that they are both 3/4", I just dont have a GM shaft. Ill have to call Borgeson and see if they sell a shaft with the steering wheel end or maybe IDIDIT or one of those company's. I could always go to the pick and pull too.

11. 34Phil

34Phil

12. Joe H

Joe H

I have a '41 Chevrolet truck splined shaft with a bad worm gear, if you want the threaded splined end, I will cut off a section for you. Threads might need chased, but the splines are still good. 3/4" shaft.

Speccie and deathrowdave like this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

There you go , cut and pin the two shafts to keep centerline accurate v them well . Weld them together and turn or grind the weld , as good as OEM . If you were near , I’d knock it in the head for you for a hand shake of friendship

Budget36 likes this.
  14. Joe H

Joe H

Here is a picture of the '41 shaft I have. DSCN1024.jpg DSCN1022.jpg

15. Andy65

Andy65

OK- if anyone is struggling through this issue i was having- here is what left me confused. the borgeson shaft listed above through summit lists as 57 chevrolet 3/4" shaft, but the steering wheel i had lists as 11/16" GM passenger car (69-96)- well- they are the same. both 36 spline, and although they list as a different diameter- its the same where the steering wheel fits. I called IDIDIT steering columns and they confirmed this, so i bought the borgeson steering shaft and it fits great. Problem solved! thank you everyone.

swade41, seb fontana and pprather like this.
  16. The Chevy Pope

The Chevy Pope

I can verify that actual spline fitment for MOST gm wheels 1949(earliest I've personally tried) to the early 2000s is the same

Johnny Gee likes this.
  17. Not sure I understand the setup you have but maybe this will help? I am building a '40 Plymouth and wanted to use the stock wheel with a modern GM tilt column. They both have the same diameter but slightly different splines. Here is how I adapted them.

I bought a GM tilt column stub shaft on ebaY.
    IMG_0552.jpg
    Then I cut off the spline section and put it in my lathe. I turned the splines slight smaller on one end, slightly larger diameter in the middle third and left them full size in the final third
    IMG_0559.jpg
    Then I heated it red hot and quenched it in water hardening it. This gave me a stepped broaching tool.
    I pressed this tool through the wheel hole, cutting GM splines in it. Result was a perfect fitting wheel/shaft.
    IMG_0556.jpg IMG_0557.jpg

cederholm, lostone, dirt t and 5 others like this.
  18. BJR

BJR

NOW THAT'S OLD SCHOOL HOT RODDING. No Amazon or Summit parts, just old school ingenuity.

ottersea likes this.
  19. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Chevy splines haven't changed in many decades! I have a 2000 Chevy truck column in my '39 Chev coupe and a 1953 Chevy wheel bolted right on it fine.

20. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I’ve have a 56 olds wheel with taper and key slot (original) and my fusick re pop came straight splined. image.jpg

21. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

My LIMEWORKS '40 Ford repro steering wheel came with a GM splined GRANT brand hub that's bolted in with 3 x 1/4" bolts.
    When I changed my column to a Ford unit I bought a replacement Ford splined GRANT hub.
    F1 Ford columns have the same tapered spline as later Ford sedan columns etc.

22. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I cut the "keyed" end off of my F1 box shaft. I had someone send me 12" of a splined early 60's steering shaft. I weld prepped and clamped the two shaft ends in a V block to keep them straight and welded it up, done deal, now I can use my 1959 GM wheel on my F1 box. IMG_4963.jpg it was easy. Now I can

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

That's weird! I previously had a '51 Pontiac wheel on my 2000 column in my '39 Chev and it too was splined like the '53 Chev wheel I have now.
    [​IMG]

24. 34Phil

34Phil

'58 Olds fit on '70 column here

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My repop 56 olds wheel is on a borgenson gm shaft now IMG_3381.jpeg

Speccie likes this.
  26. gatz

gatz

per willys36;
    "I am building a '40 Plymouth and wanted to use the stock wheel with a modern GM tilt column. They both have the same diameter but slightly different splines. Here is how I adapted them.

I bought a GM tilt column stub shaft on ebaY.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Then I cut off the spline section and put it in my lathe. I turned the splines slight smaller on one end, slightly larger diameter in the middle third and left them full size in the final third
    "
    Dang ! great solution!
    I took a more circuitous route when adapting the '40 Chrysler steering wheel to a 78 Malibu column.

Bore out Chrysler hub to fit turned-down GM hub;
    bore out hub.JPG

Drill & c'bore locations for Socket Head Cap Screws;
    drill & mill for adapter.JPG

Part off excess Chrysler hub; part-off excess hub.JPG

Mount GM hub to Chrysler wheel (O'Rings are for horn contact stem); Top View_1.jpg

Machine lower steering wheel hub for steel ring; turn step for collar.JPG

Bottom view including steel ring; Bottom View_2.jpg

Finished 16" (from 18") wheel mounted to 78 Malibu tilt column; Steering Wheel Offset_1.JPG

Attached Files:

cederholm likes this.
  27. banginona40

banginona40

In my '33 Ford pickup I'm using a Column from a '60's Ford Falcon Van. I removed the center from the original Falcon wheel and installed it in a '49 Pontiac steering wheel. DSCN3238.jpg DSCN3236.jpg DSCN3237.jpg

28. cederholm

cederholm

Not to hijack, but what do you guys know about Packard steering wheels? I've picked one up. Splined but a larger diameter than my F1. Any idea if its a Packard only, or the same as another manufacturer?