Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM/So Cal Ecotec Lakester

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thirdyfivepickup, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Has amyone seen this yet? It was at SEMA and was wicked looking in person (so I'm told) Its kinda got a giant 59 Caddy tail light crossed with a kazoo and one of those air pressurized water rocket thing look to it. The engineering looks top notch ($$$$) and the modern look is neat.
    Lots of carbon fiber inside and the body is all composite. The tires are a bead-lock urethane hybrid. And you are looking at a 26" wheel on this bad boy... ON THE FRONT! The rears are 31 inch!!! (Bling Bling)
    I really like the red-tinted bubble, and the Moonesque wheels.
    It was done by GM's Advanced Design Team and the fine folks at So Cal. I tried to scrounge up some close-ups but to no avail.
    The flyer from the SEMA show ended with "See you on the salt..."
    ... we'll see.

2. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Moving? Under its own power?
    You be the judge.

3. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

4. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

You can read about it here:

So Cal

5. skipstitch

skipstitch

Okay, it's my opinion the 3rd pic is priceless!!!! That thing is cool as hell!!! On it's own power or no...wow!!! What a piece of art....

6. From the GM site: [ QUOTE ]
    The supercharged 2.0-liter Ecotec engine is mounted transversely, just as it is in the production Saturn ION Red Line, with a production transmission driving the rear wheels.

[/ QUOTE ] Supposed to have 200 HP out of 1998 cc.Independant suspension on oth ends.I like the intake scoop on top.

7. skipstitch

skipstitch

How 'bout the reverse paint job?!!!

8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

9. I saw this thing in the flesh and was very impressed! Way too cool! Bummer the original wasnt at SEMA with it for a true comparison.

10. so whats the story they gonna run this thing or just show it off?

11. 28rpu

28rpu

Thought I read somewhere where it's gonna be stretched 10"
    and shooting for 300 mph next speed week. Who knows [​IMG]

12. They will be running this. Tony Thacker confirmed this at SEMA. The SO-CAL Speed Shop Race Team are back just like the old days when it was Alex's show

13. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Now I gotta go back to Bonneville next year to see that! Would be nice to see the origional lakester there too.

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

"Coffin Cut" rear tires...wonder if they had to pay Santa Cruz to do that? Hahaha.

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

From the landspeed site....

This lakester will be lengthened 10" and go for a 300 MPH speed next year.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

16. They were both at B-ville in Oct. The new one is much bigger than the old drop tank. Both looked great on the salt. Would not hold my breath until it runs! To bad the builders are so full of them selves!

17. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Anyone have copies of those pics big enough for desktop size???

18. 300 MPH with 200 HP ? Someting tells me they will have to turn the boost WAY up to go 300 in a Lakester.

19. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

Hey guys,

A good friend of mine works for GM Design, I asked him about the car. Here was his response, some good info!

Hey J,
    Yeah, we saw the car at the SEMA show. My boss from the California studio did the car. It was in conjunction with a tow vehicle and modified Saturn Coupe that were done in the same colour scheme. In fact the Saturn Coupe just won a new land speed record.
    Basically the car is the Ecotec Lakester. A concept vehicle inspired by Alex Xydias' legendary SO-CAL belly tank Lakester. It's creation was the collaboration between the General Motors' Advanced Design Team and the SO Cal speed shop. The Ecotec Lakester features a composite body built using the automotive industries's most advanced digital design, modeling and milling techniques. It's 26" and 31" CNC milled 3 piece wheels run on bead locked, spin-cast urethane tyres. The Ecotec get's it's power from the same 2.0L power plant which took the aforementioned Ion Red Line (which I worked on, fascia, wheels etc) to the 212.684 world finals held at the Bonneville world finals. This time however the Lakester runs on an intercooled supercharger instead of the Ion's Turbo. I hope this gives you a bit more insight on the this pretty cool concept. I took more pictures of it at the show. I still have to download them from my camera and burn them to disk. I'll let you know when I have them if you want I can forward a few to you.

20. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I like that one better than the Saturn.

21. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys,

A good friend of mine works for GM Design, I asked him about the car. Here was his response, some good info!

[/ QUOTE ]

His response is exactly what was printed on the glossy handouts that accompanied the Lakester at SEMA. Word for word. Maybe he wrote it...

22. From SoCalSpeedshop.com [​IMG] The Saturn,in the background,set a new record for G/BFALT @ 212.684 mph.Their first of 4 runs was faster than the old record.The factory detuned one of the 1100 HP motors they developed for import drag racing down to 700HP for Bonneville.The motor is turbocharged,intercooled,with electronic fuel injection,burning Methanol with 30 lbs of boost.