Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM radio question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racingonerobb, Jun 5, 2013.

1. I need help, I have a GM radio mod# chjy2001 and part# 09350424. I cant find a way to plug in the antenna. I've looked at all sides and no place to plug into. I've already installed it in my on topic car.
    Thanks in advance, Bill

2. Late model GMs have a separate receiver ? The other part is just a key pad tuner

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

It would help as to what year the radio and car it is out of .

4. Number comes back 1995-2002 Buick according to Google. Which means it may have a security code deal to get it working, too.

Frankly for the hassle I'd just drop the $80 or so on a new aftermarket deck and not bother with the GM stuff. I bought one that has a USB port and all the music is on a thumb drive now and it's so much better I'd never go back to an old factory stereo.

5. Thanks guys, Rusty I have already installed it in a 46 Lincoln dash, cut and fit. I should have educated myself before hand, bought a lot of parts before I retired.

6. Does anyone know what receiver I should look for ? I'd like to try before I abandon this and have to rework the dash.

7. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

[​IMG]

Is this the radio? To my knowledge, there's no separate amplifier for this model, and the antenna plug is a motorola style plug on the back, nothing separate. Unless it says Bose, Monsoon, or something on it it should just plug up and run. Maybe a bad radio?

8. Looks close, here is a pic. I find no place for a plug.

Attached Files:

9. FWIW, if you do change it, you can probably just use a kit for the same Buicks the radio came out of for the install.

Has to have an antenna plug on the back of it somewhere, though. Does it work and just not pull in any stations?

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Its antenna plug in is on the top passenger side... It just looks like a hole in the case of the radio and the factory antenna had a 90 degree plug... If its the radio im thinking of, I may be wrong. But yes alot of those radios once unplugged have to be taken to the dealer to be turned back on. Will be $50-$100 depending on your dealer.

11. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

[​IMG]

If the back looks anything like this, it's the circular hole on the left of what you see here. It needs this type of plug:
    [​IMG]

If that's not it, I'm out of ideas. I've never seen a GM radio without some kind of antenna plug. Doesn't mean they don't exist though. :rolleyes::D

12. dt50chev

dt50chev

The antenna hole on newer GM radios is also smaller than the standard antenna plug. Use an adapter (available at walmart)

13. Looks like the back of that radio only there is no hole between the two screws on the left and only one screw there. I'll check the top tomorrow. Thanks

14. No place on top of this one, looks like I need to find the other portion to allow me to use the antenna, or figure out what to use that would cover the hole I cut in the dash, Back to the drawing board, and thanks all for the help.

15. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

If you like the look of what you've got, just hit up a junk yard and get a similar radio that has all of the connections you need. As said already, you could probably just use an aftermarket dash kit from a stereo shop to fit any single din radio.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

I agree with summersshow. Your radio appears to be like the one in my 95 Chevy P-Up. Once the radio is unplugged it will go into a Coma and will not wake up until you enter the correct GM security pass code.
    You may get lucky and obtain the pass code at your local Gm dealer based on the radio numbers that you have already posted.
    The radios are okay but you might be better with an after market system......... Jeff

17. cavman

cavman

They only go into a "coma" IF the orig or previous owner programed a security code into it. I've had lots of them that were unplugged and worked fine without unlocking.

18. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas