Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM pump to mustang 2 rack and pinion issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clips221, Jun 15, 2015.

1. clips221

clips221

I'm having problems with my steering setup on my 37 Ford pickup. I've searched on here but didn't find my answers. I've got a GM power steering pump and a 80's Mustang 2 rack and pinion. The racks new but been in the truck for a few years. Got some hoses made to connect the 2 together. cranked the truck and the steering would turn really hard one way or the other. I could not hold it back. My power steering pump was old and I thought it may have been bad. I replaced it. It does have a pressure reducer valve in line. with the new pump I still get the same results. I can't hold the wheel from turning. Am wondering if I have the high pressure and return line crossed on the rack?
    any suggestions are appreciated.

2. Sounds like it's crossed. You did bleed the system first didn't you?

3. Those pumps are known for having to much pressure, they make a replacement valve for it to lower the pressure, it goes in where the pressure line screws into.
    This should give you an idea,
    http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performa...ing-Fluid-Flow-Control-Valve/2088411/10002/-1

PS post up some pics i need motivation to finish mine, had it since 81 and still half way done, always seems i am working on somebody else crap.

4. badshifter

badshifter

You have the lines swapped. Simple fix. Don't run it like that or the return hose will blow. It's not rated for the 800-1200 psi a pressure hose is made for.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You either have a Mustang II rack, or an 80's Mustang rack, not both.

The last year of production of the Mustang II was 1978.

The first year of the Fox-Body Mustang was 1979.

The racks in Fox-Body Mustangs (and later T-Bird ones) operate on a much higher pressure and flow than the MII racks.

It does sound like your lines are reversed, assuming you not have a severe alignment problem.

If you do indeed have a rack from the 80's, you may not need the pressure reducer. It might just make the steering harder.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

The late mustang rack is the same one that was used in Fairmonts and Zephers. Those cars with 6 cylinder engines used a GM power steering pump. The 39 Ford that I had I used a GM pump, and never had any issues with it.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo, 'cause that generation of Fairmont and Zepher, despite their looks, were Fox Body cars too.

Yup, same chassis as the Mustang.

8. rfraze

rfraze

Reverse the hoses.

9. Hoses are backwards for sure

10. clips221

clips221

You guys rock. Hoses were backwards. thanks for all the replies.