Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM Power steering pump and box hose problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57chevywagonman, Apr 13, 2013.

1. I am working on a buddy's 40 ford that has a Camaro clip in it. I am guessing the clip is from a 1977. The clip was added by the previous owner and the car came without a power steering pump. I had a pump from a similar Camaro and it all bolted up but the pressure line fitting is for the o ring type and the hoses that fit the box are inverted flare fittings. I know that the fiting on the back of the pump can be changed for the earlier flare type or adapters have been available. I would realy like to just buy a new fitting so i don't have to root around for a used one in the bone yard. Does anyone know where either a replacement fitting or adapter can be had?

Thanks

2. Buford

Buford

Check with a major auto parts or hydraulic supply store...they should be able to put the correct end on your hose. Good luck, Frank

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

I strongly recommend Lee Manufacturing Company (818)768-0371. Tom Lee is the owner and sells adaptor kits for power steering boxes. The lady who answers the phone is very knowledgeable and can process your order. Lee Manufacturing sold me a kit that allowed installing a metric'92 Firebird Formula WS6 ps box. It replaced a '68 Camaro SAE manual steering box. The adaptor kit was $108 and included fittings and rag joint/coupler. Still I had to purchase a pulley, ps pump,belt, bracket, and ps pitman arm from Orilleys.

4. i believe Chevy went from inverted flare to the O-ring style in 1980 , you must be trying to use a later pump

5. The fitting In the pump can easily be changed.
    It's a three-minute job omce you have the fitting that match the hose.

6. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

7. Cerberus,

Thanks for the tip! I shot them an e-mail. Likely will know something tomorrow.

Thanks to all who replied!

Mike