Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM power steering 1956 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoop, Jul 8, 2009.

1. hoop

hoop

Looking for inexpensive conversion for GM power steering.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I was hoping to use a '56 Caddy power steering unit whit perhaps the '51 Chrysler pump/generator that I have. Not sure if it'll work seeing how I have no experience with them.

Desoto also has a unit that is all inclusive and I think it was available in '53 or '54. Pretty trick piece.

I would love to take a look at what other people have done for power steering to keep it in the era whether it be custom or restoration work.

3. Mark T

Mark T

Some '55-'56 Ford owners use the GM "605" Box but its needs lots of modifications because of its short sector shaft.

Take a look at the 1999-2004 Jeep grand Cherokee steering box, it has a long sector shaft and mounts just like the original Ford box. I've read this is the latest and greatest for the '55-'56 Fords and the '49-'51 Mercs.

Keep in mind that whatever box you choose you will need to modify the steering column and most likely the firewall.

Do a search, this has been discussed a few times.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  4. hoop

hoop

I have tried the search many different ways and still come up with nothing. I like the Jeep method sounds better than 605. Any pics or details on either way.

Fisrust likes this.

5. That Jeep idea sounds interesting, I got a buddy that works at a jeep store, have to see if he can dig one up to inspect it. I put a rack in a 99 taurus at work today, they are rear steer and it got me wondering about adapting it over, anyone tried anything similar?

Whats up Mark, hope all is well

Brad

6. Domino

Domino

7. phred_47

phred_47
    from usa

Hello, I read a whole page of rack ideas on here for a 55 and the last thing was where a fellow spoke of a defunct 67 mustang site that used the Taurus rack and provided a drawing of the bracket that would work in our 55/56 Fords. He also added the info on tie rods and so on the rack arms to use. Seems to be a bolt in if you can decipher that drawing of the bracket. I plan to try this next summer. Another says to use the 92 Aerostar AWD pressure hose as it fits the pump and rack threads.regards,phred.

8. Mark T

Mark T

I've seen the rack and pinion setups on these cars and I think they are just plain ugly and heard that they don't work very good. It would be much easier to adapt the stock Ford Granada PS, but then again its very similar to the stock '55-'56 PS setup. I have considered the Granada PS myself.

Another option is the '68-'76 Ford F100 box, this box can be used but its big and takes up a bunch of space.

Toyota truck and Izusu Rodeo PS boxs are another option.

The stock '49-'51 Mercury box is almost identical to the '55-'56 Ford box, I have posted a few links of power steering installations on the Mercury only because there is very little information on the net about this installation on the mid 50's Fords.

The Ebay link below shows the Jeep box on the Mercury, I like the looks of the jeep box the best, I've been thinking of trying one on my '55.

Someone needs to try Jeep box and do a Tech post, how about it Brad?

http://www.customrodder.com/tech/0701cr_1951_mercury_power_steering/

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1949...TruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQQsalenotsupported

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  9. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

I have a stock 56 ford power steering set up complete if needed let me know.

10. I have some jeep buddys on the hunt, might have to lift the engine up or out to have room to work in there. Can you just cut the column off of the stock box? If so do what do you use for a bearing to support the shaft? wonder what donor car would have decent p.s. brackets for an FE application, I dont think i kept the p.s.that the 68 merc my eng came from had on it. If I try this it will be in the winter, cant take the wag apart now, it runs to good and needs to drive.

Brad

11. hoop

hoop

How about some more info on the Jeep swap.

12. Mark T

Mark T

Hey Hoop, I don't think there is any more information out there, I've thoroughly searched the web, the only thing I can find a picture of this box being used in is the Mercury. I'm pretty sure I read on the web that someone is using one on a '55 or '56 Ford but I can't remember the site. No information was given anyway so thats no help. Lots of talent on this sight, someone needs to give it a shot. I would do it myself but I don't have the time to devote to it right know, I know it will work.

Brad, I think that the rag joint from the Jeep could be adapted to the stock Ford steering shaft rather easily, this is were the firewall may need a little modification.
    A freind of mine installed a GM 605 box in his sons '57 Chevy and adapted the 605 rag joint to the stock '57 steering column and even modified the column shifter to work with the PS box. What were cooking up here is very very similar.

FE power steering brackets were used into the mid seventies on Pickups, I see a lot of them in our local U pull it. Might be good place to start.

A few more pictures of the Jeep Box.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  13. hoop

hoop

Thanks everyone for the effort. This is for a good friend,if I can convince to buy a Jeep box I should have answers for all of us.

14. Mark T

Mark T

15. hoop

hoop

Very nice article . Thank You

16. I am looking for a box, one of the local yards has a 99 grand cherokee 4x4 box, but Im not sure its the same up through 2004. Am I on the right track here or not? Do you have a part number or id number to check?

Brad

17. hoop

hoop

Countrysedanman, That should be the right box,it wll have a long sector shaft like the original 55 Ford box. Keep us posted.

18. Mark T

Mark T

Brad, Take a look at the picture on the above post, the retainer plate on top looks like a smiley face, its an easy way to spot one in the salvage yard. You should also be able to read " DELPHI 26057628 " on the side of the box from inside of the wheel well. I think all of the Grand Cherokees were 4 wheel drive.

I picked one up today at our local u-pull-it, cost me $18. Took me about 20 minutes to remove with basic hand tools, it helped that the 2 lines were already cut off.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  19. hoop

hoop

What a great price. I wish we had prices like that up here.Looks in great shape.

20. Thanks Mark, I will check it out as soon as they reopen the road to the junkyard. Thanks for the tip and I will update when I can.

Brad

21. sho1off

sho1off
    from Buffalo MN

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have a 55 Ford that I will be installing a 1985 Ford 302 that still have the P/S on it and would love to find something that doesn't cost much that I could use to get P/S !
    I did read something someplace about using a Chev Cavalier rack because of where the steering box was located . It was at one side instead of like the center on the Mustang2 . If anyone know of an easier way to use the Ford p/s let me know .

23. Mark T

Mark T

Ford Granada power steering is probably the cheapest and very easy to install. Its very similar to the original PS used in '55 and '56.

24. Tacson

Tacson

Any updates on this thread? I have a friend who bought a 56 Club Sedan and want to switch to a rack. Thanks

25. jmax447

jmax447
    from TN.

I have a 56 fairlane with the "Y" block 312 will your kit work with this and of coarse how much do you want? I am very interested Iinjured my right shoulderand I can hardly turn the steering wheel. Please contact me at [email protected] John

26. Fatman has a rack set-up.