Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM oil filter adaptor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1941coupe, Jul 4, 2020.

1. 1941coupe

1941coupe

im thinking of changing my old canister oil filter to a modern spin on filter using this kit ,engine isa 50 olds 303 any pros or cons appreciated

Attached Files:

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Cons, it will now have two places for a leak.

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I can only think of cons.

4. speedshifter

speedshifter

If my old memory is correct the canister housing is aluminum and contains a pressure relief spring and ball. It is designed so if the cartridge filter is restricting oil flow due to sludge the ball will lift off it's seat and let the oil flow bypass the filter. The ball would hammer out the seat, letting the oil bypass the filter all the time. Maybe one cause of the notorious noisy hyd lifters. Greg

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Spin-on has roughly 1/3 the filtering area of the canister.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You also have to make sure you reuse the check valve for the canister in most cases. I pulled the adapter that was leaking off an engine in a car I bought with it on and they had left the check valve off when they bolted the adapter on. Not only did it crack the adapter it was bypassing the filter the whole time.

7. If memory serves me right the OLDS 394 filter adapter will work on the earlier blocks. Perhaps @Paul can confirm this.